• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Computer optical drive digital out

dspear99ca

Super Member
I was replacing the CD drive in my computer the other day... guess the heat of the past 6 years in the very top of the tower finally got to it. I noticed that on the back of the DVD R/W drive I was installing that there is a "digital out" two-pin connector. I'm wondering what format the digital output is in... S/PDIF? I was thinking I could take it straight into my external DAC, bypassing the crappy on-board audio chip. Anybody tried this?
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm wondering what format the digital output is in... S/PDIF? I was thinking I could take it straight into my external DAC, bypassing the crappy on-board audio chip. Anybody tried this?
Yup, made a standalone CD player from a CDR just for kicks last year. Works just fine, coax in to your DAC. Have fun. :thmbsp:

PS: Here's the link to my little project
 
Yup, made a standalone CD player from a CDR just for kicks last year. Works just fine, coax in to your DAC. Have fun. :thmbsp:

PS: Here's the link to my little project

I like your thread. I, too, was a Sun sysadmin in another life, and also have a soft spot for old Sun hardware. When I quit, Solaris 8 was just being rolled out, first one that ran on PC's I recall, Solaris 7 was my last OS certification which is, oooh, about 10 years ago? Sun equipment is so well built... one of our clients was a hospital and I recall being just stumped trying to find a particular router when upgrading some hardware in their network. Turns out that a comm closet had been repartitioned and an old headless Sun IPX machine running SunOS set up as a router had been sealed up behind a wall. For 6 years. Never missed a beat. Never crashed. We threw out SO MUCH of that type of hardware, like the standalone drive enclosures you used for your project. And 1Gb and 2Gb SCSI hard drives. And small CRT monitors. None of this stuff was broken in any way. I still have a drawer full of switches, LED's, power supply boards, etc. from this era.

When I started with the company I now work for (<10 employees) I spent maybe $500 setting up a linux-based server system using an new generic PC box, a couple of SCSI RAID cards and a used Sun StorEdge array box off eBay. Hot-swap, hot spare, redundant everything, that system hasn't had a down day in 9 years, and because I buy older drives it is CHEAP to maintain. Just picked up 10 72Gb 10K SCSI drives for $30 on that auction site. Yes, $30!
 
Thanks. Your comment made me recall that I said I'd make an e-waste DAC for the other Sun box. Well, the GF came back into town, so I never got going on that. I'm in the process of moving (man, I'll miss my super mancave!), and I came across the other box just a couple of days ago. I think that instead of an e-waste DAC, I'll turn it into a Sun Amp, instead. Don't have much time these days, but it shouldn't be hard to source a little t-amp without a power supply to stuff in the box. Drill a few holes, tap the power supply, and I'll have a Sun stereo. :D

The six years in a wall without a crash doesn't surprise me too much -- Sun was (still is?) an exquisite maker of hardware. Wish I still had my fine collection of SPARCs and ultraSPARCs that I dumped some years back; those SPARCs with the Ross multiple processors would have made a killer retro music server...
 
Back
Top Bottom