Any love for vintage JVC speakers?

jamiecantar

Hi gang, hope your having a great summer...Anyone own or hear any JVC speakers? Are they any good? Most look cheap, but like Sony, Pioneer and Sansui, they must have made a few that were decent competitors. Which models really stand out and are they even worth auditioning and investing in...

Any help would be appreciated
Jamie

Check out the (rare and expensive) Zero-series. Or the more current wood cone speakers.

Those look a bit like old KEF...How do they sound Nolasally. Can you compare them to any speaker? ... is that a rectangle bass driver or resonator? thx

Last edited:
Bass is punchy a la polks. Highs are somewhat laid back. Not bright. Cabs are the weak link. What's the model your looking at. I'll tell you if it's a run to or away from situation.

Last edited:
A 1010 in good nick will drive about anything, maybe except for a pair of Apogee Scintillas or the likes. So I wouldn't worry.

i know right! for some reason I always think that you need the same brand components to all match. Like the engineers specifically matched them to work beautifully together, perhaps not the case? The JVC zero's are beautiful and look a bit like DIATONE's or even Yamaha NS-1000's...they rarely come up though and they want big bucks when they do...

Last edited:
Nolasally what are your thoughts on the A6's thx. yes the cabs look cheap...right? narrow only 10" deep. have you ever looked inside your A3's/ are they Transmission line enclosure? or Aperiodic or just nothing, all open...

Last edited:
That line is great. I'd be a buyer assuming price is not too high. I don't think they are t lines. Placement might be a little tricky with rear tweeters.

Mucho love here for the JVC speaks. I refurbed a pair of SK-1000ii's that I found in the SA for $20, they needed new foams and pots cleaned. They are heavy as and sound great :) These are not mine, mine are nicer !

799546-jvc-sk1000-ii-speakers-rare-vintage-and-excellent-condition.jpg

Blurb for the SK-1000 (not the ii) from HifiEngine -

The SK-1000 is our best and cleanest sounding speaker system in the JVC high-power line up. It uses three JVC designed and assembled speaker units, including a 12-inch woofer, 5-inch midrange and a 1-inch dome tweeter.

Special care has been given to the woofer for reproduction of realistic bass. Its features include a rigid low mass diaphragm, but even more important, a dome tweeter that covers the high frequencies is already famous for transparency and ideal wide dispersion.

All of these units are carefully phase aligned by the Phase Moire Propagation Technique, which means you'll get clean sonic images of musical instruments in your room.

No matter how much power you feed to the SK-1000, it doesn't lose its superb low distortion quality. In fact, it easily accepts the high peak input of 170 watts, while delivering an efficiency of 93dB and wide, flat frequency response across the 30 to 20,000Hz range.

There are two level controls on the front baffle of the SK-1000, one for treble and one for midrange. This lets you tailor the response of the system to suit your individual room acoustics.

The SK-1000's enclosure is sturdy, solid and uses panels of ideally dense materials, braced extensively inside for extra strength.

Specifications
Type: 3 way, 3 driver loudspeaker system

Frequency Response: 30Hz to 20kHz

Power Handling: 170W

Crossover Frequency: 1000, 10000Hz

Impedance: 8Ω

Sensitivity: 93dB

Bass: 1 x 300mm free edge cone

Midrange: 1 x 120mm cone

Tweeter: 1 x 24mm dome

Enclosure: bass reflex
Dimensions: 650 x 400 x 325mm

Weight: 24.2kg

Year: 1978

Last edited:
I think I might pass on those SX-A6's. he won't even audition them...I offered the guy $100 but he wants way too much more and I don't think they are worth more. I would have entertained some exploring for $100, but not more...I can't find any info on them and I'm starting to think they are part of a some component rack line of speakers. They are from 1986 or 1987 just about the era when Japanese gear went all black face and speakers were made cheaper and they focused on the all-in-one packaged component systems with the cabinet stand and everything that matched...

After some digging I would say the best JVC/VICTOR speakers post 1977 are the JVC ZERO-3FINE, JVC ZERO-5, JVC ZERO-7, JVC ZERO-9, JVC ZERO-L10, JVC ZERO-1000, JVC SX-700, JVC SX-911, JVC SX-1000, and JVC SX-E7

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom