Dunlavy SC VI woofer replacement

Dpats

has anyone have any experience with replacement of the 10” woofer drivers in these speakers ? Any suggestions ? Thanks, Dan

I read somewhere that the originals were Vifa but that could be wrong, do you have
a part number off of them? You could send them to Miller Sound for a rebuild.

I am working on a SC-IV crossover now for a friend. I will ask him to pull the drivers. He has two sets, I think they use different woofers in each.

Years back, when Dunlavy was still in business, I wrote to and got a reply from the Dunlavy rep who was at that time; Andrew Rigby. The Dunlavy SCVI 15” subwoofers were custom made a Emminence models. I wrote to a Emminence a few years ago and got a brief reply they no longer make them. Somewhere, on some other audio blog, someone had posted the specs for these drivers. I have the specs somewhere. The closest I’ve ever found to them are made by AES/ Acoustic Excellence infinite baffle drivers. To get the proper low Q, they need huge sealed cabinets. The AES drivers are not cheap! And four would run a grand.
I recall, that at that time, all Dunlavy drivers were Vifa brand. Except, the last revision of the SCIVA,which used Scanspeak 8565?, 10” drivers.

Years back, when Dunlavy was still in business, I wrote to and got a reply from the Dunlavy rep who was at that time; Andrew Rigby. The Dunlavy SCVI 15” subwoofers were custom made a Emminence models. I wrote to a Emminence a few years ago and got a brief reply they no longer make them. Somewhere, on some other audio blog, someone had posted the specs for these drivers. I have the specs somewhere. The closest I’ve ever found to them are made by AES/ Acoustic Excellence infinite baffle drivers. To get the proper low Q, they need huge sealed cabinets. The AES drivers are not cheap! And four would run a grand.
I recall, that at that time, all Dunlavy drivers were Vifa brand. Except, the last revision of the SCIVA,which used Scanspeak 8565?, 10” drivers.

I can confirm that the 15s were/are Eminence drivers. The SC-VI also used Morel MW-224 woofers as mid-bass drivers, an the Vifa P13WG-00-08 midranges. The tweeter is also Vifa. Can't remember the exact model. I can find it. The only driver from the SC-IV that I can see are proprietary are the 15s.

30557279427_0c789b8441_b.jpg

31629788328_63f5dbdbd3_b.jpg

Here's a shot of the crossover after a recap with Clarity Audio CSA +/-3% and replacement of the cheap ceramic resistors with custom hand-laid carbon resistors from LEFSON France.

45363302982_8b4eeaaf03_b.jpg

Thanks for your reply and pics. I’ve always wanted to build my own SCVI’s.
Instead, I built my own sort of, SCIV’s. But instead of 10” woofers, I have 8” ones.
Reason is, I could never justify the cost, or size, of building with the 15’s.
I see you have your drivers removed. Can you tell which Eminence 15” models were used?
Again, thanks for the reply.

Thanks for your reply and pics. I’ve always wanted to build my own SCVI’s.
Instead, I built my own sort of, SCIV’s. But instead of 10” woofers, I have 8” ones.
Reason is, I could never justify the cost, or size, of building with the 15’s.
I see you have your drivers removed. Can you tell which Eminence 15” models were used?
Again, thanks for the reply.

I goofed and didn't jot down the model number. The computer I used to take the T/S measurements using DATSv2 died so I lost all the data. Grrrr....

Thanks for your reply and excellent pics. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the drivers? Or are you rebuilding the crossovers? The 8” mid woofers look different than the advertised models which were Vifa, I have 4 of those, but one needs to be repaired. Anyway, I’m glad you like my dream speakers and are enjoying your favorite music with them. Thanks again for the info and pics

Thanks for your reply and excellent pics. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the drivers? Or are you rebuilding the crossovers? The 8” mid woofers look different than the advertised models which were Vifa, I have 4 of those, but one needs to be repaired. Anyway, I’m glad you like my dream speakers and are enjoying your favorite music with them. Thanks again for the info and pics

Was this in reference to me? The speakers shown are actually not mine, they belong to a client. And the mid-woofers you are are in fact Morel MW-224, which are original to the speakers. DAL made a number of driver and parts changes through the years as he would tweak speakers by ear all the time.

It would be great to get the crossover schematic!

@baco99 I can try to recover data from your hard drive if you are interested.

i misread your post and thought you were replacing the drivers.
The pics are great! And show me how dense the foam stuffing is.
No need to go through a lot of trouble to get the sub specs.
Dayton Audio/Parts Express once sold infinite baffle subs that were very close to what is in the SCVI.
The closest match available is from Acoustic Excellence.
As to the crossover specs, I’ve read they are difficult to find.
Wonder what happened to all of Dunlavy’s records?
I believe a good digital meter will tell you the specs of the parts if you remove them.
I don’t know about the coils.
I recently stepped up to a Minidsp 4x10 digital crossover with tri-amplification.
It can’t be beat!
Thanks again for your reply and if I stumble upon the board schematics I’ll let you know.

It would be great to get the crossover schematic!

@baco99 I can try to recover data from your hard drive if you are interested.
Sorry I can’t provide a schematic. I’ve seen these asked for before in audio discussions. Don’t know if Dunlavy patented his boards or wher3 his files went. A shame.
If you are able to find the model number of the Eminence 15” subs send it along for sure. If you can’t, well, thanks anyhow and thanks for posting the best pictures of the SCVI I’ve ever seen!

Hello again.
I have contacted Emminence speaker company and asked if they have a comporable 15” sub driver to the ones used in the SCVI. They’ve asked if I know the part number. By any chance were you able to locate it?

Hello,

I also have an SC-VI which I have extensively modded, now with an external Duelund crossover and new Seas Crescendo Tweeters.

You can see my system and read here: https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/795

Regarding the 15" woofers, When you said Acoust Excellence, do you mean Acoustic Elegance (link below)?

http://aespeakers.com/shop/ibht-woofers/ib15ht/

Those from AE have these:
IB15HT-8ohm
Fs: 16Hz
Qms: 6.8
Vas: 440 L
Cms: .45 mm/N
Mms: 220 g
Rms: 3.25 kg/S
Xmax: 18 mm(peak)
Xmech: 27 mm(peak)
Sd: 830 sqcm
Vd: 2.98L (p-p)
Qes: .78
Re: 5.5 ohm
Le: .33 mH
Z: 8 ohm
Bl: 12.49 T/m
Pe: 300W (cont.)
Qts: .7
1WSPL: 85.63 dB
2.83V: 87.26 dB

Are these the drivers you were mentioning? Did you find the specifications of the Eminence 15" drivers used in the SC-VI?

Thanks,

VPN

Hello,

I also have an SC-VI which I have extensively modded, now with an external Duelund crossover and new Seas Crescendo Tweeters.

You can see my system and read here: https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/795

Regarding the 15" woofers, When you said Acoust Excellence, do you mean Acoustic Elegance (link below)?

http://aespeakers.com/shop/ibht-woofers/ib15ht/

Those from AE have these:
IB15HT-8ohm
Fs: 16Hz
Qms: 6.8
Vas: 440 L
Cms: .45 mm/N
Mms: 220 g
Rms: 3.25 kg/S
Xmax: 18 mm(peak)
Xmech: 27 mm(peak)
Sd: 830 sqcm
Vd: 2.98L (p-p)
Qes: .78
Re: 5.5 ohm
Le: .33 mH
Z: 8 ohm
Bl: 12.49 T/m
Pe: 300W (cont.)
Qts: .7
1WSPL: 85.63 dB
2.83V: 87.26 dB

Are these the drivers you were mentioning? Did you find the specifications of the Eminence 15" drivers used in the SC-VI?

Thanks,

VPN
Here are the Dunlavy 15” subwoofer specs that someone had posted either here , or, another audio board.
QTS: 0.741
VAS: 521 liters
FS: 19.48
Re: 5.980
Le: 1.75mh
Xmax: 9.1 mm
Z: 8ohms
Qms: 14.650
Qes : 0.780
SPL : 88.97 dB
Pe : 200 watts
BL : 11.127
Dd : 32.94 c m
Sd : 851.1 cm^2
I contacted a representative of Eminence Speakers who asked for the model number?
I understand they were custom built for Dunlavy’s needs and they are no longer available.

Reactions: VPN
Back
Top Bottom