Gym membership

If you are a member of a Gym or a Fitness Facility. How many times a month do you go?

• Once if that

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Two to Four

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Five to Six

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Eight + .. I'm there all the time

Votes: 40 64.5%

• Total voters

Condorsat

Audio Enthusiast
If you belong or have belonged to a Gym or Fitness Facility. Did you actually use it and get your money's worth?

I use to belong to one … went twice per week but that was mainly for the Spin Class.

You think twice a week is "there all the time"?
When I had memberships it was usually 3 times a week.
Nowadays it's a Total Gym 2-3 times a week and walking most days.

Last edited:
Coincidently I just dug a Total Gym out of Basement storage. It's been sitting there for 18 years. Still works great.
I use to use it on a regular basis during my USAF career.

3x per week at the local university.

For an adult, I'm close to a "gym rat," but there are younger body builder types who are always there. Summer is great because I augment things with a pool membership. My gym has a two pools (warm one with translucent swimmers and the Olympic-sized one where Michael Phelps has a pool record), but I hate indoor pools, having grown up a year-round swimmer. The smell says "drudgery" while the sunshine of an outdoor pool is paradise.

I've evolved beyond needing one ...

PS - Got a Soloflex with all the toys and an Airdyne here ... I'm good.

I belong to rec center in my town $15 a month. I'll go 4 or more times a week in the colder months. Not as much in the summer maybe twice a week. I try to ride my bicycle 2 days a week also.

I have a gym in a spare room at my office and one at home. This gives me two more opportunities to have killer systems to listen to. After all, I need someplace to put all the equipment that I buy.

PS: 8 times a month is barely working out. I do full workouts 3 times a week, but I am in one of my gyms at least every day of the month.

I currently go 4 days a week for 1.5 to 2.0 hours. I've been doing this a long time and feel that at 2 days: you are losing ground, 3 days: staying even, 4+ days: advancing. Of course, at age 72 I'm not really advancing any more :rolleyes:

The gym also serves as a great social outlet, it's like the tv bar Cheers where "every body knows my name" :)

Roger (aka Norm)

Most gyms operate on a business plan where if more than 5-10% of their members go regularly, they'd lose money.

I go 3-5x a week depending on time. The worst part of staying fit by far is the food preparation. Every time you eat out, you basically wasted a few good workouts.

Phoenix being such a tourist town the resorts sell the locals Memberships to their full resort facilities including the workout rooms, yoga and Barre classes, spa's, pools, restaurants, bars, really giving you the run of the property with a discount for whatever Food & Beverage you buy. Here's ours. We're over there at least 4 or 5 times a week. Doesn't hurt it's only a mile from door-to-door, either. Bonus is there's usually only 2 or 3 people in the workout room and maybe 6 in the classes at at given time.

monte.jpeg

monte wo.jpeg

I go to a local "10 Fitness", sort of gym 2-4 times a week, walk 1 1/2 - 2 miles during lunch when temps are under 85, and do yard(blech) work about every 8-10 days.

I practiced (Okinawan) karate 3 days a week for almost 2 hours for 8 years, but our Dojo closed last year. Honestly, I really miss that.

Tommy

Up until June ( when I retired) I'd go to a gym for a spin class and use the rowing machine twice a week. Now that I'm retired ( and it's summer) I jump on my bike at least twice a week and put 30+ miles on it. Living in a rural area the nearest gym is 7 miles away and is super expensive. Not sure what I will do when the weather turns cold.

5-6 times a week for the last 20+ years. Climbing gym (2.5+ hrs) and yoga (1.5 hrs).

I also try and mountain bike, swim, run/hike and surf once each, a week. I don't work out, I play.

I go to a local "10 Fitness", sort of gym 2-4 times a week, walk 1 1/2 - 2 miles during lunch when temps are under 85, and do yard(blech) work about every 8-10 days.

I practiced (Okinawan) karate 3 days a week for almost 2 hours for 8 years, but our Dojo closed last year. Honestly, I really miss that.

Tommy
Years ago, I took Shorinji Ryu karate while stationed on Okinawa. Loved it and the culture. In California I put my young daughter in a Shotokan karate class. I found a lot of the katas were similar. She enjoyed it.

Find yourself another dojo. It doesn't have to be the same style. I fact, you learn more from something different. Have fun!

Years ago, I took Shorinji Ryu karate while stationed on Okinawa. Loved it and the culture. In California I put my young daughter in a Shotokan karate class. I found a lot of the katas were similar. She enjoyed it.

Find yourself another dojo. It doesn't have to be the same style. I fact, you learn more from something different. Have fun!

Very cool! THat is a great ryu IMHO. I studied Shiri-te, def. some similarities and commonality.
There is a Shotokan dojo about 15 miles from me, but the teacher and my old dojo "had issues" some 15 or so years ago. I don't believe that... well, that it'd work well.
I have visited other dojo close by but it was a "made up system" (my term) and I was not comfortable there.
I still practice, have a 14x28 ft wooden deck in the back yard, plenty of room for my kata and attempts at Kobudo.

Thanks for that reply! yes.... enjoy!.... so vital!!!
Tommy

@M1Tommy that's to bad about the "issues" at the other dojo. A good karateka will rise above it.

Cool that you're still practicing. It's great for mind and body!

Cheers!
Carl

Back
Top Bottom