Monitor Audio Gold reference 10 issue

jt45

Picked up a pair of Monitor Audio GR10s today locally
and it looks like I have an issue with a cap or resistor (I hope)
on one of the crossovers (Woofer not Working). Iv'e already checked the driver and its fine, Im posting a couple of pics of the crossover, it appears that the Resistor and cap in the woofer circuit will be easy to replace except that they are glued to the board and Im a bit wary of prying them off that board. Anyone know a good way to do that without causing any damage ? Should I just clip the leads ? Iv'e recapped a few speakers including some bigger classic infinity's that were much more complex but I thought I would throw up a couple of pics for anyone who has done these to chime in or for future reference for anyone to see. Any advice or input is appreciated.
I dont have the service manual but the board is simple enough and it looks like the 4.7 uf cap and the 10w 1 ohm resistor are the only culprits I need to check first unless Im missing something. I dont have meter to check caps with, the resistor shouldn't be a problem.

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG

Thanks
JT

Last edited:
Well I checked the resistor its good and put in 2 2.5 uf caps in parallel in place of the 4.7 and still no luck, what am I missing here ? Im getting output through the high side but not the low side, also should I be getting a closed circuit from the positive high terminal to the woofers low side on the board at the solder point for the woofer speaker wire connector ?

Last edited:
Problem solved, turned out to be a coating of some sort on the board where the binding post bolt on. Such a simple solution and some light sandpaper got it going again. I got a super deal on these over that little problem.

Good to hear it was an easy fix!

Those are great speakers, I wish I would have purchased those instead of my Silver 8i's.

Really aren't those Silver 8i's some nice towers ? Iv'e been wanting to try some MA speakers for some time and couldn't pass up a chance on these Locally for cheap.

One last parting shot of the GR10s after surgery !

IMG_1842.JPG

Well I just gave them a run against my Infinity towers in the HT, needless to say the towers are on their way out, Im stunned by the amount a bass in these bookshelf speakers have, detail and imaging is a considerable step up. These speakers make listening to music in the HT a pleasure, Im very pleased and impressed with these Monitor Audio gold 10s so far, I wish I had found them before I paid six times as much for the new towers.

Its hard to believe that a bookshelf speaker this size puts out more bass than my towers that have bigger woofers and more of them.
The cast aluminum drivers on the MA GR10s are nice .

Last edited:
Really aren't those Silver 8i's some nice towers ? Iv'e been wanting to try some MA speakers for some time and couldn't pass up a chance on these Locally for cheap.

One last parting shot of the GR10s after surgery !

IMG_1842.JPG

It's not that the Silver 8i's are bad, I just think the GR10's offered a slightly more refinded sound. I haven't heard a better bookshelf speaker, as you state they throw a ton of bass for their size plus they stay composed at extremely high volumes.

I cant say enough good things about these speakers, so far Iv'e only found one thing that is even remotely an issue, they can be a little hot in the upper freq. but only with material that is treble heavy to begin with. Im driving these with my Pioneer AVR and their sounding very, very good, now Im starting wonder how they would sound on my Vinyl Rig with my Mosfet amp driving them or maybe hooking them up to the Pioneer Spec system.

Back
Top Bottom