Your three most desirable vintage speakers?

My Top Three Ever!!!

(01). KEF Reference 102 With KUBE Equalization System (1986-90 ..... which I still own to this VERY day)

(02). Dahlquist DQ-20 (Early-To-Mid 1990’s)

(03). Vandersteen 2Ci (Early-To-Mid 1990’s), and STILL relevant today.... known now as the 2Ce Signature II’s (I’m going to get me a pair one day.... just you wait)

—Charles—

DF300405-C1AB-4DE6-876E-419C65E42FF6.jpeg 1997908D-067B-475C-BFC6-A7A824E71CC2.jpeg

AR9 which I had way back. Good times!

P1010009.preview.JPG

Klipschorn corners and a Belle Klipsch center

s-l400.jpg

images

Sometime back around 1970 I had the opportunity to visit the home of a member of the Trunz family, whose Trunz Meats company sadly went bye-bye decades ago. This was in Sands Point on Long Island if I remember right. I was going with a girl whose father worked for him is how we got there for a brief visit. His ‘listening room’ was gigantic. The long wall might have been 30 feet. The was a Klipschorn in each corner of this wall and a Belle Klipsch in the middle. Each had its own McIntosh mono tube amp. I do not recall what other equipment there was. He played some Wagner for us. Might as well have been in a concert hall.

Stacked AR-LSTs

post-101112-1200410010.jpg

I never saw or heard these. I am just fascinated by the idea. See how the top speaker on the left is upside down to keep the tweeters together.

Already have some holy grail speakers, but a few that I would like to some day own. Gotta dream BIG!

- Tannoy Westminster: loved the "Tannoy sound" on a smaller Gold Monitor set I had years ago, so these must be over the top awesome.
Tasnnoy Westminster.jpeg

- MBL 101E: why? Because they look like something from a Dr. Who movie and would be the most incredible conversation piece.
MBL 101E.jpeg

- New Wilson WAMM: Would like to have the new model next to my original model. As well, these look like they came out of a futuristic movie with aliens.
New Wilson WAMM.jpeg

+1 on the Tannoys’s

For me its the Altec 604, had many chances to buy but could never close the deal.still havent heard a pair

JBL Hartsfield would also be on my list.

I think this would be nearly impossible for me to keep to 3. But the ones I'm most interested in would be:

KEF 109 Maidstone
KEF KM1 -professional powered studio monitor
Dayton Wright
Soundlab panels
Apogee (owned Apogee Centaur, would love to hear the bigger ones)
Tannoy
Quad ESL - owned a pair of unrestored 57's, would love to hear a restored pair!
Beveridge
Large Infinity
Altec or WE drivers - any of them! What a reputation they have!

Both of you are correct, but didn't quite meet the specifics of OP's thread title question.
So the correct answer would be Bozak Concert Grands, Klipsh K-horns and Altec 19's.
Since I am rarely wrong, don’t ask the wife about that, I will complete my answer. The k horns are the most dynamic “every mans speaker” there has ever been. They work fantastic with most amps and they are physically imposing. Number 2 would have to be an original Walsh fully restored because Omni is amazing done correctly. Last but not least would be the original Wilson watt puppy combo because when they are set up properly it is as if the musicians are in the room with you.
Three different perspectives of reproduced sound. I have been fortunate to have listened to many of the very best of the 70s, 80s, and 90s and there are many I could live with happily ever after. The Quads, Magnepan, Apogee, B&W, Infinity, Theil, Snell, Avalon, and the list goes on and on. I look for any and all on my local craigslist frequently.

AR-9 - the Mighty Nine.
Apogee - the first model called simply "The Apogee" - preferably restored.
Sound Lab 1-A

Best of the best to these ears.

I'd maybe go for JBL 4345s and 4355s, and Altec Model 19s. I have a lot of respect for their engineering and capabilities, appearance and heritage. And none of these models are likely to max out before my ears cry uncle; I have heard a lot of smaller, super-hi-resolution speakers that sound wonderful at mid-to-high levels, but start distorting, compressing or hitting XMax when the going gets rough. (I don't always crank my stereo, but when I do, I prefer it to sound clean.)

b4.jpg

Last edited:
Altec 19s, Carver Amazings, and some of the big Tannoy or Jensens... of course there are several Klipsch efforts that have my interest aroused.

1* Infinity Gamma
2* Altec 19
3* not sure if it qualifies as vintage, Wilson Audio Sasha

I heard a Wilson Sasha or Sophia...not sure which...and the soundstage was HUGE! It was like the sound came from this entire wall that was like 20 ft wide by 10 ft high! The room might have had something to do with it...it was at a dealer in Charlotte...but it was quite impressive.

Already have some holy grail speakers, but a few that I would like to some day own. Gotta dream BIG!

- Tannoy Westminster: loved the "Tannoy sound" on a smaller Gold Monitor set I had years ago, so these must be over the top awesome.
View attachment 1258033

- MBL 101E: why? Because they look like something from a Dr. Who movie and would be the most incredible conversation piece.
View attachment 1258034

- New Wilson WAMM: Would like to have the new model next to my original model. As well, these look like they came out of a futuristic movie with aliens.
View attachment 1258035
Are these vintage though?
Vintage technically 20 years or older? Just asking.

These three are on my bucket list, and I'd put them in a broom closet size room just to have them!
ADS 2030's, and JVC Zero 1000's, and Zero 9's

I'd maybe go for JBL 4345s and 4355s, and Altec Model 19s. I have a lot of respect for their engineering and capabilities, appearance and heritage. And none of these models are likely to max out before my ears cry uncle; I have heard a lot of smaller, super-hi-resolution speakers that sound wonderful at mid-to-high levels, but start distorting, compressing or hitting XMax when the going gets rough. (I don't always crank my stereo, but when I do, I prefer it to sound clean.)

b4.jpg

Sweet choices!

Back
Top Bottom