Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

I like that, but like the 10 more. The peak is far enough away from the crossover point so it will disappear. Either one looks like it will make for a fun project.

Hi all. Finally have all my hardware on hand for my first econowave build. I'm using a pair of CS99 cabinets that belonged to my dad. Should be interesting with these 15" woofers! Got the zilch crossover pcb's and can't seem to find #4-40 hardware anywhere without buying 100 of each screws, nuts, and washers... it's still cheap but I'd prefer not to have all the extras lying around and going to waste. Those of you that've used the pcbs - did you use 4-40 hardware or drill out to use #6? If you used #4, does anyone have some hardware they can send me? I'm happy to pay for the trouble/shipping, etc. PM me!

I used small screws (~1/2" long) to mount the crossovers to the rear baffle (or somewhere in the cabinet). ~1/4" long sections of 1/8" x 1/4" vinyl tubing were used as stand-offs. I found mine in the bottom of the junk drawer (in the true econowave spirit).

Got the zilch crossover pcb's and can't seem to find #4-40 hardware anywhere without buying 100 of each screws, nuts, and washers
In the U.S. an Ace hardware has bins of single fasteners. Your location is not listed so I do not know if this will help. Post pictures as you build .

In the U.S. an Ace hardware has bins of single fasteners. Your location is not listed so I do not know if this will help. Post pictures as you build .

Yep Ace should have them or Grainger.

I'll post pics as I get this thing moving. Haven't seen anyone actually post a CS99 econowave so I'm looking forward to leading by example.

Unfortunately the Ace near me only has hardware down to #6. Oh well, I'll just buy the 100-pack and donate my leftovers to the local tiny hole charity or whatever. Thanks for the replies, fellas!

PS: location updated

Econowave-Aussie!

Frustrated by the cost of the Econowave parts for us Aussies I (perhaps foolishly) have embarked on a mission to try locally available parts.

I'm calling this my Aussiewave-Mini, naturally inspired by the original.

First I took the step to invest in a DATS and Omnimic, locally delivered by The Loudspeaker Kit.

Drivers are:
  • Woofer: EV8L I picked up the pair used on eBay locally for $30 AUD delivered. :banana:I'm thinking this is an Eminence built unit? Heavy duty!
  • CD: Alternative Imports "Tweeter Compression Drv 34mm" $28.50 AUD each. Surprisingly well made and finished for the price; and
  • Waveguide: Dayton Audio H07E $11.50 AUD each.

Box is made entirely from 17mm scrap structural ply left over from a pair of tapped horn builds so $0 for the enclosures. o_O

Total cost then about $120 for the pair and they sound great. :jump:

Any and all comments, suggestions or trolling welcomed as I need to iterate the crossover to improve its phase! :whip:

And huge thanks to all here for soooo much insight, inspiration and help. :)

AussieWave Xsim B1 V1.jpg AussieWave Xsim B1 V1 Schematic.jpg AussieMini.jpg Sketchup AusMin.jpg

Attachments

• Data.zip
    122.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Mr DJNagle! Absolutely they were inspired by your Minimus Masterpieces!

I believe I'm using the larger version of the same PE waveguide. It is available in Aus for a reasonable price, happily.

Actually it was a pair of EV SX80's that grabbed my attention to the sound of a loaded horn. The SX80's use this woofer.

Essentially these are my test beds for doing a full system build using DATS/Omnimic/XSim, all enabled by the great learning I've done here, and its been fun and easy!

I really don't believe I can hear much above 10khz, and no instruments seem to play that high anyways right? Therefore I have not YET tried to tame it.

These sound great. Not bright at all. Least compared to these other speakers I have to compare with.....

Attachments

• the three graph.png
    the three graph.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 23
  • the three.png
    the three.png
    478.7 KB · Views: 24
Guilty as charged :)

Did you ever re-port the box to get more bass out of it ( down to 50hz ) ?

What about measurements ?

I'm curious bout how the crossover region hangs together ( with the substitute driver )

E

CDX1-1745 on SEOS 12 with Faital Pro 12PR300 (no smoothing)....

Original MTG with Denovo DE250 CD measured response:

Original measurement.png

Same MTG crossover with CDX1-1745 (at same resolution) not too shabby?:

Original crossover with CDX1.png

Higher res this time 0 - 50 degrees, less impressive:

SEOS CDX1 12PR300.png

Polar for CDX1-1745 on original MTG crossover (at higher resolution):

Polar 0-90 MTG Crossover.jpg

MazLab new crossover (green) vs MTG original (Blue) low res. Maybe CDX1-1745 doesn't need a new crossover?:

SEOS CDX1 MTG vs MazLab low rez.png

Same again MazLab crossover (green) vs MTG (Blue) but at higher resolution. I think this goes to show a change this significant really does need new crossover; that's 5db dif at 2k:

SEOS CDX1 MTG vs MazLab.png

Now MazLab crossover version 0 - 50 degrees high res:

SEOS CDX1 12PR300.png

Polar probably shows best the effectiveness of the tailored crossover for the CDX1, again at high res:

Polar MazLab.jpg

Impedance sweep of just the Faital 12PR300 shows tuning at about 42hz in this enclosure:

Faital 12PR300 impedance.jpg

MazLab:

MazLab.jpg

Last edited:
And for completeness here is the original MTG crossover:

Original MTG.png

Here's mine basically based on the HP Econowave topology with tweaking plus a series notch filter:

SEOS CDX1 FaitalPro V1 Crossover.jpg

R2 & R3 represent an L-pad Econowave style and can be omitted if an L-pad is not being used.

I have also uploaded the Xsim DXO file (zipped) for anyone keen to play.

Baffle width is 415mm and centre to centre spacing is 260mm.

Glam SHot.jpg
Up next I'm going to redo the driver board and switch to the Econowave which I recently picked up.
Will be interesting to see if a change in horn makes much difference to the system? :banana:

Don't you just love a dancing banana or two!

Attachments

• SEOS CDX1 FaitalPro V1 - Outdoor Measurements.zip
    42.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Very detailed report. Will the Econowave fit in the existing motor board? That way the only variable other than crossover would be the guides.

Dunno how this affects polarized impulse response between drivers, is that illustrated by the testing?

Back
Top Bottom