• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html
Jflijohn

IMG_9917

  • Media owner Jflijohn
  • Date added
JBL L-100A
  • Like
Reactions: FOH Engineer
Well, then, I have some questions on your L-100s.
I reviewed a few different options for crossovers, all the way up to 3rd order designs but my first option is to give the original 1st order HP design a good long listen. Personally I think they sound great, as is with the new caps. I thoroughly tested the original l-pads and they were consistent an not scratchy at all so I kept them. With a 1 volt RMS input signal, the l-pads attenuate an 8 ohm dummy load from .2 volts to about 1 volt at full volume.
The grills that I have attenuate my signal (pink noise) by 6 dB so when I'm really focusing, I run them with grills off. I'm guessing the aftermarket build on these grills was more focused on aesthetics than acoustics.
Also, I normally run with the mid (Presence) and tweeter (Brightness) L-pads turned up to +3 dB. I cant really see it as much on an FFT but the difference is obvious when sitting in the middle of pink noise and adjusting them one at a time.
Also, Im running them with some acoustic foam in the port and I reinsulated with good acoustic egg-crate foam.
So, My questions:
  • Are you running original crossovers or have you modified. If original, have you recapped?
  • What grills are you running:
  • Where do you run your Presence and Brightness L-pad settings.
  • Are you running the original drivers or have you mixed and matched?
  • How far apart are your serial numbers? (mine are 156162A, 156111A)
Please pardon all the questions but I broke the first rule on the rebuild, I didn't do pre build tests.


 

Media information

Media category
Member's System Pics
Added by
Jflijohn
Date added
View count
499
Comment count
2
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device
Apple iPhone XS Max
Aperture
ƒ/1.8
Focal length
4.3 mm
Exposure time
1/60 second(s)
ISO
200
Flash
Off, did not fire
Filename
IMG_9917.jpg
File size
2.6 MB
Date taken
Thu, 09 December 2021 9:31 AM
Dimensions
4032px x 3024px

Share this media

Back
Top Bottom