• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

$15 Radio Shack Amp that kicks - the Accurian

and i'm now listening to it through a pair of frazier speaks, and i'm not gonna get all foamy about the mouth, but it does sound great and throws up a nice deep soundstage. i think this last has as much to do with the fraziers as it does the amp, but it is a lot of capability for little $$, as noted over and over again
 
Re: these speakers, I followed Markus' post (#224) and Blackstone's follow-up and simply soldered in two panel mount RCA jacks & drilled out two holes where the switch screws were. It's steel, so they're in cleanly and solidly.
I went out on my back deck where my wife was sitting sipping a Margarita but still scowling from the numerous boxes of speakers that I had recently acquired. I separated the speakers by about 5', plugged 'em in; plugged in my iPod shuffle via mini-plug to RCA adapter, and Wow! Plenty of clear sound with decent power. She was impressed as well.
I say Wow, because I have a total investment of $15 in these (speakers, RCA jacks and mini-plug/RCA adapter). For $15/pair for such good, portable sound for an iPod or MP3, I went out and picked up the other two pair that RS had kicking around.
I've figured out a nice little webbing carrier with a handle & camera belt-pouch for the iPod, cords and plugs. This setup allows these to be toted like a small suitcase or large boom box, so portable is the key word.
My daughter heard my first pair, and now she wants one (I'll add a mic mixer on the back for a Karaoke setup). Second pair's going to my cottage in Maine, and I'll leave one pair at a buddy's beach house (sorely lacking decent audio options) as thanks for him letting me stay there.
I'm so impressed at what $15/pair & 15 minutes of work gets me with these speakers that I've forgotten about that little amp that got me started on this whole thing.
analog addict: Thanks for turning us on to these hidden bargain portable audio opportunities.
 
I have purchased 6 pairs of these amplified speakers. I modified 2 of them where I removed the switch in the back, drilled out the 2 screw holes with a 1/4" bit and installed the RCA jacks. The sound out of these 2 speakers is amazing for such a small enclosure and plenty of power to boot. I sold the 2 pairs.

Sal
 
Sal,
Looks like you've got me beat. I thought I was nuts for buying these up...but at $10/pair....
I plan to keep one pair w/the original config. & eventually get a HomePlug sender. I like the concept of using A/C as the source when running wires isn't feasible (for temporary hookups), but I'm guessing clarity of the signal lacks somewhat.
You don't have a sender by chance do you?
 
So far I like the one that I have. I paired it with a pair of Radio Shack optimus speakers. (had em lying around, and they're rated for 50 watts RMS) The setup sounds pretty good. More then adequate for listening to the radio in the garage.
 
I just got done taking mine apart and using it as an amp only out of a passive pre and it sounded rather thin in the mids. Good highs, great bass, but no mids. Anyone else experience that? When I tri amp my main system I will use this amp for the tweets.....VERY CLEAN highs. Just bought this humidor for a couple bucks to put the guts of the amp in. I will always know the moisture content of the amp. Cheers.

1140129590735_4e_1_b.jpg
 
They are no longer available online. Even if you are able to order one, the next day it will be cancelled by Radio Shack stating they are currently unavailable.

That's a shame! But you can still use their "find it near you" feature to hopefully locate a nearby Radio Shack that has it in stock.:D
 
OK, I figured out today that, when rebuilding my speakers, I had the horns crossed at 1900, not 800 where they are supposed to be. That is most likely why the amp sounded thin in the lower mids. I hooked the amp up to my Omega Super 3Rs and it sounds great. Cheers.
 
I believe I snarfed the very last one in the western Washington area about 2 weeks ago.I stopped into the Marysville (north of Everett) Radio Shack store,was wondering if they had any of the amps still around.He looked and stated no,but would check the regional distribution center south of Seattle,so he calls and they have 1 left in the warehouse,I order it for the usual price,and it came to the store and I picked it up just last week.Now I have three and have a use for all of them,I just need to mod the two speaker sets and I'm set!! Rob
 
I had no problem ordering 2 on-line today, I wonder if they'll actually deliver?? :scratch2:

They won't ship discontinued items to the store in many cases so I had to pay the S&H and tax, at the price of gas it's probably still worth it!! :D

Item: 1501937
Description: HomePlug Receiver/Amplifier
Quantity: 2 @ $14.97
Shipping Method: Standard Ground
Arrival dependent upon the shipping method selected.


Sub-Total: $ 29.94
Tax: $ 2.33
---------------------------
Shipping/Handling: $ 8.80
---------------------------
Total for this address: $ 41.07
---------------------------
Order Total: $ 41.07
---------------------------
 
There are still two radio Shack stores out here (Hampton bays and Southampton) that still show they have them in stock. The web site states they are not in stock, so I think we may be getting to the bottom of the barrel. I've got mine, did the mod, and it's driving my AR4x speakers. It is sounding VERY nice!
 
dgwojo, I wouldn't hold out hope in online purchases coming through. There's a glitch in their system in which it shows these in stock & lets you make the purchase, when in fact they're out of stock - and have been for quite some time. The CS reps really can't help you aside from looking on their computer to see where these might be in stock in a store.
johnda is right about scraping the bottom of the barrel, however anybody considering a drive to a store that shows them in stock should call first and speak to a manager to actually get the unit in their hands to confirm that it's not a return before they waste time and gas for a wasted trip.
For instance my local RS still shows one amp in stock, however the manager confirmed that it was a return. She also confirmed that it was clearly defective as it smelled burnt. She apologized for their system showing it in inventory, but it's still in there.
Store managers have the discretion as to whether to ship discontinued items to another store within their district or not - but for large items with a small price tag, it's a loser for them.
DM's can ship out of their district, but wouldn't likely do it for something like these.
I was fortunate to have had one store manager ship one amp and 4 pairs of speakers (big, heavy boxes) to another store w/in her district via FedEx. The shipping bill for RS was nearly $50. I paid $54 plus tax for everything, so I got them for free, as far as RS is concerned.
The discontinued speakers and amps are 'on the books' as $200/unit for the store that has them in stock. Selling them for $10 or $14 is therefore a loss. Add $8 ground shipping to that, and it's more of a loss for that store. I got lucky with a helpful manager who needed to clear out her store because of relocation (I've also put in a good word for her w/her supervisor for her efforts).
Those of you who are in the hunt but can't find the amps, should really consider a pair of these speakers if you can find them. With a quick mod. as mentioned much earlier in this thread, they're unbeatable self-powered audio for the price & great sounding portable sound for an iPod/MP3.
 
Back
Top Bottom