• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

$15 Radio Shack Amp that kicks - the Accurian

Yep, they cancelled my order after 18 hours and then sent another e-mail indicating they're available again, what a screwed up Ratshack system!!! :thumbsdn:
 
The pair I order this morning came up at $11.98 a piece. I expect this to be cancelled as well. I have 15 cancelled orders under my belt and an assurance by Radio Shack customer service that as soon as they actually become available they will personally contact me for my order (that was after four tries to actually talk to somebody who even remoted seemed to be able to do anything about this). Glad I got two before this mess, but I would like a couple more. I know there are people here that might have extras available, may have to go that route. Good luck all!
 
Hi, I'm a bit confused. Can someone explain more clearly how this works? Does this mean you can run speakers wirelessly on different levels of your home?

How does the modification improve the device's function?

Thanks for your patience with a newbie!
 
Hi, I'm a bit confused. Can someone explain more clearly how this works? Does this mean you can run speakers wirelessly on different levels of your home?

How does the modification improve the device's function?

Thanks for your patience with a newbie!

Hi, if you read the first post to this thread, it gives the background of this mod and original purpose of the amp.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1355355&postcount=1

After the mod it is a nice integrated stereo amplifier, not a wireless device.

Good luck. Snade
 
The HomePlug system uses a Sender to transmit stereo signals through a home's AC wiring. Apparently it's distance sensitive, and the signal quality is debatable.
Since this system wasn't much of a success with RS, they've apparently discontinued the Accurian HomePlug line.
The Sender hasn't been available for some time, and that's necessary for the amp or the speakers to work w/their stock configuration - so they're worthless to most not privy to this great AK info without the sender - thus the clearance pricing.
The mods simply remove the HomePlug configuration and make them usable as an amp using an input device & output to speakers, or as amplified speakers simply using an input device through (modified/added) RCA jacks.
Just yesterday, I gave my daughter a pair of modded speakers with a mic mixer & a mic. Voila! A quality sounding Karaoke system. She's all over it.
 
Does the device support more than one component? Or is it just line in, speakers out?

I would like to be able to hook this up to my receiver to boost its power. Does this device have line in and out RCA jacks?
 
Does the device support more than one component? Or is it just line in, speakers out?

I would like to be able to hook this up to my receiver to boost its power. Does this device have line in and out RCA jacks?

One set of input rca jacks in back to connect to one source (CD player, tuner or audio out from a computer).

It's useful as a utility amp to use with a computer, garage, bedroom system, video game system, etc.

Not sure it makes sense to connect to a receiver and your receiver would need preamplifier outputs to make it work.

It's popular because it's cheap and works fine as a small utility amp. It is not better than the amplifier section of most good receivers.

Cheers, Snade
 
I hook outside equipment to my Accurian. You don't need a preamp out jack. Just use the tape out jack to the accuran. Let's say I have an old Fisher amp with a broken volume control, which I do. I can hook the Accurian to the Fisher by taking the audio from the Fisher by using the tape out jack. The Fisher then becomes the source and I can hook all my gear, turntable, tuner, etc. through it.

You can also use a source switcher box with the Accurian to hook tuner, CD, etc. to it. I have been running my Accurian with my AR4x speakers and it has a nice sound.
 
they are just about all gone, and....

most of the ones left are at local franchise stores which are not required to follow RS corporate pricing. I located 1 at a store 50 miles from me for $60 and another 60 miles away with similar pricing. Since they are not company stores they are not required to transfer them for the $15 price.

Luckily I did just find two in stock at a company store 120 miles from me. I will stop by after work to have 1 transfered to my local company store.

As near as I can tell, I have found the last 4 available in my entire state!
 
Mod question

RS called and my amp is in! I know what I'm doing this evening.

But-- the mod as described in the RS review section on the RS site for the amp differs somewhat from the mod described at the top of this thread. Apparently everyone here agrees with the mod as described at the top of this thread, so that's what I will start with. Anyone care to explain why the other mod instructions are different?

Perhaps when I open it up it will be apparent to me......

Also, some people have said it tends to overheat, so I plan to drill vent holes in the case.

Anybody played with bypass or upgraded caps?
 
That was a cinch

Just like the instructions said.

Have it running now in my vintage (sort-of) bedroom system.

Don't really care for the bass--or maybe the contouring of the bass control. Also it seems pretty sensitive. I am using the tape-outs of my receiver and I don't have to turn it up very far to get it pretty loud. An EQ is starting to sound like a good idea, but I should let it burn in awhile I guess.

Overall, it's a fun and handy thing to have.

I'm sure glad I stumbled upon this thread. Perhaps I'll buy another one in a few weeks.
 
One set of input rca jacks in back to connect to one source (CD player, tuner or audio out from a computer).

It's useful as a utility amp to use with a computer, garage, bedroom system, video game system, etc.

Not sure it makes sense to connect to a receiver and your receiver would need preamplifier outputs to make it work.

It's popular because it's cheap and works fine as a small utility amp. It is not better than the amplifier section of most good receivers.

Cheers, Snade

I fully agree with the perspective Snade expressed. I would add that it is fun to perform a little tweak to produce something that works really well. I have it in my bedroom, using a portable DVD player as the source. I listen through a couple of Klipsch speakers that were originally the passive side of a set of multimedia speakers. They are small three-way speakers that, believe or not, are capable of imaging. Having this arrangement in the bedroom makes for a nice way to end the day, although I seldom make it through an entire CD. :boring:

Regards,

D-Ray
 
Did I get the last one?

I had a buddy on the other side of the state pick one up for me last week, just after they disappeared from the Radio Shack Web site. Saw him this weekend and just made it home with the amp.

Letting it burn in now, hoping the sound improves a bit, but liking the fact that it takes up a lot less room in my cluttered office than the vintage JVC receiver it's replacing.
 
I'm glad I got two of them when I could. but I swear, where am I going to get the time to play with all the things I really want to play with.

Sigh, I have two complete Voice of Music console systems, and a Maggie system. I've collected a couple pair of the nice 15" CTS drivers, the ones out of Imperials and have the 35 once magnets. But I just haven't been able to get around to reconditioning and setting them up. Collecting them is so much easier, isn't it?

Sigh,......Time. When can I get some more of it?
 
Is there any other mods that can be done to this thing? Like making a preamp-out or a sub out or something? Would it be too hard to add on to it?

I know it's not the best little amp in the world but I figure I could use the knowledge/experience with other gear I have. And I like to experiment with things.
 
Back
Top Bottom