• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sanyo JCX-2900K

Counting gangs usually means the nodes in between and around the segments of fins, not the count of groups themselves (ignoring the thin-slice AM segments). So if you see 3 wide fin segments, and can adjust all three, it's 4 gangs.


Depending on how you count, my TU-X1 is 7 or 8 gangs FM and a totally separate AM.
 
Excerpt from BASS:

with ULM tonearm, Shure VI5/IV cartridge, and a Sanyo JCX 2900k receiver. The Sanyo is a
massive battleship of a receiver, a twin-powered, over-heatsinked, 120 watt-per-channel behemoth.
In both quality of construction and ability to exceed advertised specifications, the 2900 is
far superior to Sanyo's new so-called "Plus Series," which might be more aptly called the "Minus
Series."
So how did the speakers sound? In a word, great. Bass was deep and tight, midrange and
highs were smooth and extended. By the way, bottom-line cost per speaker was around $160,
pretty reasonable for this level of performance.
There is a unique satisfaction that comes with the completion of a successful homemade
speaker system. To draw upon one's own knowledge, likes, and tastes and mold them into a
highly personalized product defines, to my mind, what the hobby of high fidelity is all about.
This is fun stuff.
-- Steve Feinstein (Connecticut)


Just tried the 2900K through KLH 20's. Synergy there, a great match. :) That could stay on all day kind of match.
 
Put 7 pictures on this thread here:

Here's my fave:

attachment.php
 
i got the second 2900K for half as much as the original one was selling for, and i think it qualifies as a good deal. cosmetically it's supposed to be nice, perhaps not quite as good as good as the other but definitely good enough for me now. it will be powering my Ohm Model H's for now, which will eventually share time with my WTLCs when they're back up and running. i'll post again when i get the unit in my hands. i'm going to start browsing for new caps, too, though i have other more pressing projects to deal with first.
 
here she is, finally. condition was a bit better than i expected overall. the outside cleaned up pretty nicely. the inside proved to be pretty nasty, as you'd expect from a long-time smoker and (i'd guess) cat owner. i think you can get the idea from the close-up. i wiped as much gunk off the boards and components as i could in 15 minutes, and hopefully she doesn't get so hot as to stink when she runs. she sounds GREAT though. can't comment too much on the bass as i've only listened to a little classical so far, but the mids and highs are better than i expected - i was expecting a lot, too. the tuner works without an antenna on the stations i care about. lamps work. basically, i'm pretty damn excited :thmbsp:

IMG_1911%5B1%5D.jpg

IMG_1913%5B1%5D.jpg

IMG_1914%5B1%5D.jpg

IMG_1916%5B1%5D.jpg

IMG_1923%5B1%5D.jpg
 
Cat units! LOL!! I've gotten a couple of Marantz that stank of cat box. I suppose the warm components attact cat box dust and urine odor. IMO, cat units are as bad as smoker's units.
 
the smoke smell overpowers the cat smell, thank god! i'm going to try to blow and suck as much crap out of there as i can, maybe get in there with some q-tips too.
 
the smoke smell overpowers the cat smell, thank god! i'm going to try to blow and suck as much crap out of there as i can, maybe get in there with some q-tips too.

All I can say is GOOD LUCK! It took me weeks to clean up a smoky unit. My cat unit never did clean up so I sold it after spraying liberally with Lysol.
 
I'll get some pics up in a bit. Noods too, but mind the dust... :D


----
I posted the following on another thread but it's more directly applicable here:



I guess I dont understand the statement, so let me show how stupid I really am. I believe I am in a permanent state of "Cognitive dissonance" as was said.

At the time that the JCX-2900K was built and sold, the name brand "Fisher" was owned by Sanyo, and Sanyo built the gear. I dont want to open up the can of worms about what happened to Fisher in this era, as there are certainly some strong opinions on it that I've run into. But in this case It's clear to me that the Fisher units descended from Sanyo, and not the other way around. Most of the early Avery Fisher gear lovers will tell You that this era of the names' offerings bore little resemblance to the units they consider "real" Fisher, and by and large want to forget about what happened when the name was sold to Sanyo. Not my opinion perhaps, but certainly a reflection of what I've heard over the years. Perhaps I have misunderstood, so , sorry if so.


There is no JCX-3900K. The 2900 is the TOTL of the series.

If, as some I believe mistakenly think or have heard that there was one prototype of some Sanyo receiver in the JCX
era that was larger than the 2900K, my statement sticks, as it was never sold or offered.

The same goes for the info uncovered by other great AK members about the Plus200. While at least one prototype still exists, the largest Plus receiver mortals will ever get their glomms on is the Plus130. In this way as well, there really never was a Plus200, it was just a thought, built into a couple of prototypes. The plus130 was the TOTL of the series.

In finish however, I'm really glad that there are folks out there who are enjoying their JCX-2900K's, as these were really fine units, and the more saved and enjoyed, the better. I also think some respect has been gained, even by those who would still never consider owning this name brand, because of the love for them and the mostly open minds around here, many more now agree - "yeah, thats alot nicer stuff than I thought Sanyo ever built"
 
SF, the photos of the PLUS 200 aka BIGFOOT are real! Four evaluation examples were made, one of which resides in Southern California. The 200 belongs to ex-Sanyo executive.
 
There are techniques of immersion that may serve to de-smell-i-fy...

...and some things that work on the receivers too. :D

Thanks sanyofreak, SoCal_Sam for more specifics here, and clearing up my speculation about the relationship/S & F.

This is the first Sanyo I've managed; glad to add it to my TOTL group...even if interesting, larger prototypes survived!
 
it would be interesting to match the 2900K against an SX-1010 and a 9090. actually, there is an AKer in town with all three, and his 2900K is mintier... :scratch:

i did find one issue sonically. when i get 'er turned up about halfway, lots of ugly distortion sets in. some of the pots are dirty, so maybe this is all, but i fear it's something worse. maybe 4 ohms is a big no-no with these?
 
The 3900k does exist, IMHO at least as a prototype. I bid on it when it came up on ebay several years ago but opted out in favor of the Fisher RS-1060 I was bidding on at the time. I did not have the money back then to throw at several of these at once. You win some and lose others. To say it does not exist is something that like the plus 200 will be verified only when a picture surfaces. You'd say an Audiograph 2A100 didn't exist if I didn't have one sitting in the other room. All I know is I bid on one. I doubt it was a scam.

I can say it is not a 2900K, not a Plus 130, and not a Plus 200. I'd not have subjected myself to the effort to acquire it otherwise.

I do believe Fisher and Sanyo evolved independently. There is little if anything in common between the RS-1060 and 2900k.

That said I will throw up a controversial statement, the 1060 is the better of the two when compared to the 2900k. It may not be dual mono but it is better sounding and has a better tuner. I've long believed the 1060 is among the finest receivers built of any power level in terms of overall performance and stand by it to this day having sampled over 200 vintage receivers. Just like the Mark 1500 I sought out three of them with just cause, and money permitting I'd by every one I could find.
 
The 3900k does exist, IMHO at least as a prototype. I bid on it when it came up on ebay several years ago but opted out in favor of the Fisher RS-1060 I was bidding on at the time. I did not have the money back then to throw at several of these at once. You win some and lose others. To say it does not exist is something that like the plus 200 will be verified only when a picture surfaces. You'd say an Audiograph 2A100 didn't exist if I didn't have one sitting in the other room. All I know is I bid on one. I doubt it was a scam.

I can say it is not a 2900K, not a Plus 130, and not a Plus 200. I'd not have subjected myself to the effort to acquire it otherwise.

I do believe Fisher and Sanyo evolved independently. There is little if anything in common between the RS-1060 and 2900k.

That said I will throw up a controversial statement, the 1060 is the better of the two when compared to the 2900k. It may not be dual mono but it is better sounding and has a better tuner. I've long believed the 1060 is among the finest receivers built of any power level in terms of overall performance and stand by it to this day having sampled over 200 vintage receivers. Just like the Mark 1500 I sought out three of them with just cause, and money permitting I'd by every one I could find.

Yrly, if you bid on a 3900K and swear that is what it was, that's good enough for me. The Plus 200 does exist, at least in prototype form. One is known to exist in Southern California and I have seen several pictures of it.
 
I have my regrets regarding the 3900k. At the time I bid on it I did not know what it was. It is similar to a 2900k with a different front panel layout. The sad part here is I have a photographic memory and recall exactly what it looks like, unfortunately I do not have any artistic talent to render a good copy of the faceplate. The quoted weight I received for it was around 65lbs. My guess it is a prototype/limited production piece, same as the plus 200, and likely at about 165wpc. If I knew what it was when I was bidding I'd have found out how to drum up the cash, however it was oversight on my part.
 
Just want to show my respect for the thread and members-
Sam and Yrly, I agree with You both.

I understand and indirectly acknowledged indeed the Plus200 and what yrly bid on did exist as prototype units, I looked at the Plus200 pictures endlessly. I just expressed what could be wrong in some's view, that these units are different than lets say a G-33000, an SX-1980 or a 2600 because as far as I know, they were never offered or produced for sale. Just my way of looking at it. For the buying public, the 2900 and plus130 was all You could get. Do the prototypes count ? If You think so, lets just agree we have different views, I'll concede mine may not be correct or majority. Yes, they exist as protoypes, we agrre on that completely.

The RS-1060, and literally dozens of other gigantic in class receivers competed with the JCX-2900K. Better will always be from ones own perspective. I'm leaving it where I have before, there's lots of gear better than Sanyo, and for most readers I would think, wouldnt mind owning any example of this power class unit from this era, all seem worthy. Especially the RS-1060.

To stick to the intent of our thread, I'm going to congratulate the new owner of his JCX-2900K, You will not be disappointed. You'll get the smell out, and yes clean the volume and other controls again, unit does not distort under 1/2 volume, great job and stick with it.
 
Just want to show my respect for the thread and members-
Sam and Yrly, I agree with You both.

I understand and indirectly acknowledged indeed the Plus200 and what yrly bid on did exist as prototype units, I looked at the Plus200 pictures endlessly. I just expressed what could be wrong in some's view, that these units are different than lets say a G-33000, an SX-1980 or a 2600 because as far as I know, they were never offered or produced for sale. Just my way of looking at it. For the buying public, the 2900 and plus130 was all You could get. Do the prototypes count ? If You think so, lets just agree we have different views, I'll concede mine may not be correct or majority. Yes, they exist as protoypes, we agrre on that completely.

The RS-1060, and literally dozens of other gigantic in class receivers competed with the JCX-2900K. Better will always be from ones own perspective. I'm leaving it where I have before, there's lots of gear better than Sanyo, and for most readers I would think, wouldnt mind owning any example of this power class unit from this era, all seem worthy. Especially the RS-1060.

To stick to the intent of our thread, I'm going to congratulate the new owner of his JCX-2900K, You will not be disappointed. You'll get the smell out, and yes clean the volume and other controls again, unit does not distort under 1/2 volume, great job and stick with it.

True! I don't think the OP is objecting to our discussing other Sanyo's because after all, we are talking about TOTL Sanyo receivers he has a TOTL JCX-2900K.

The Plus 200 is not out of reach, it belongs to a friend of a friend. However, I doubt I'll ever get a look in person. I'm not close enough to ask for a nudie either.
 
To make matters more muddled :arrow:, the acronym TOTL has sometimes referred to models which were the largest/best at the time, yet next year became second banana to the latest offering in the escalating WPC Wars.

In 1975, my SX-1250 was the biggest bad-ass-est Pioneer receiver ever sold in the USA. So I include it in my 'TOTL'-ish group--and if a 1980 creeps in the door, I'd bestow it with the same A-list cast designation... :dunno:

Same with DH-500 (have) vs. DH-600 (nope).

By this wider lasso I've got 13 or 14 TOTL thingys.

By the 'best ever type of unit made by a particular brand', I have 8.

Doesn't matter if you like the DQ-10 or DQ-20i better, I have both. Symphonies (have) vs. Concert Grands? Haven't heard the CG so I can't say.

But it's opinion whether the build quality, specs, or looks places the later SX-series above or below my 1250 in Best Ever, By Brand: category SS Receiver.
 
Back
Top Bottom