• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ESS Transar 5 Anyone?

snipercharli

New Member
So the local hifi-vintage audio store (yes, we have one of those :P) has a pair of ESS Transar 5's on display. He had them hooked up to what looked like an in house crossover running from a McIntosh MC250. I asked for some more information (such as model etc. which I found online later) and basically the only person in the shop who knows anything about any of the equipment is busy fixing more equipment... So since they were obviously out of my price range (asking 2,300 I think with 20% today) the guy running the counter wasn't in a hurry to bother the tech to come turn them on for me.

Should I bother them next time I'm in there to hear them, or is it just a gimmicky-real cool looking speaker? And do they really go for that much!?!

Here's a picture of it I found online...
Transar5.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I think I'd go hear them just to give the snotty salesman a hard time! Well, maybe they were just busy. But I'm sure they're worth hearing just for the extreme rare aspect of Transars. I remember reading an article or two on them and the theory behind them many years ago. Here's some stuff from a 1980 buying guide;

Transar/atd speaker system:
Two way open baffle speaker system with 32 inch by 6 inch heil woofer and heil amt tweeter; Heil woofer consists of twenty small bubble cones on five lexan sheet cones linked by four carbon fiber rods, bi-amp, comes with electronic crossover and current source amplifier, crossover at 1000 hz, 4 ohms, frequency response 30-20,000 Hz response +/- 3 dB, 94 dB/W/M efficiency, walnut, rosewood or ebony finish, 51" high, 40" wide and 10" deep. $4400 (I think that referred to each)
 
Very rare speakers, said to sound very good, by people who have heard them (I have not). Probably worth that price, especially in terms of what you'd have to pay to get similar sound from a new speaker, but of course you'd be paying a premium for their rarity/"collectibility". Then again, at that price level there are a number of excellent choices in vintage speakers. They've been discussed a couple times before on AK; search the archives and you should find something on them.
 
Interesting. I've put in quite a bit of time tinkering with the Heil tweeter and thus am pretty familiar with its idiosyncracies. If that is the standard vee-shaped Heil sitting on top, the crossover is way too low. Response will be ragged and strident in the mids. I think the sound of the speakers would be a letdown considering the price. As many others have already stated, the Heils should be used mainly as tweeters, crossed over at 3500 hz, minimum. I've got mine crossed at 6000 hz and they sound fantastic.

These speakers appear to me to be more an attempt in technology advancement than in practical application. One wonders why the technology is not in use today.
 
I remember reading the adds for these in the day, just a bit out of my budget back then.

What are the chances an AKer has a pair of these? It would be nice to get an opinion.
 
I'll bug them more about them the next time I'm in there. Maybe I'll convince them to drop a digit off the price :P I saw the plastic cones and assumed that was how they work - and knew they were ESS of some kind, or were at least the ESS tweeters.

I agree, 1000hz is too low for those tweeters optimum (Echowars says the same thing), but I'm not sure that mid can cover frequencies high enough to where the Heil Tweeter could be crossed over that high. Maybe they should have implemented a mid of some sort - I'm really surprised that "woofer" can reach 30hz. I've got to admit, I ignored their no-touch signs and felt the plastic woofers - didn't feel too strong but I still want to hear these!
 
Interesting. I've put in quite a bit of time tinkering with the Heil tweeter and thus am pretty familiar with its idiosyncracies. If that is the standard vee-shaped Heil sitting on top, the crossover is way too low. Response will be ragged and strident in the mids. I think the sound of the speakers would be a letdown considering the price. As many others have already stated, the Heils should be used mainly as tweeters, crossed over at 3500 hz, minimum. I've got mine crossed at 6000 hz and they sound fantastic.

These speakers appear to me to be more an attempt in technology advancement than in practical application. One wonders why the technology is not in use today.

I heard a pair of these in somewhere the late 70's early 80's. I'll come out and say I do not like Hiels (to my ear they sound very metalic), and these made me REALLY not like them. They were/are strident and the "woofer" could be over driven very easily (clacking noises) Some Phase Linear Andromidas (sp?) made them sound stupid (they were in another room)
I was very unimpressed.
 
There's a Transar amp listed on "that site" now. Looks pretty impressive. Looks like there may be some sort of built in crossover in the amp - kinda hinky if ya ask me. I did a little bit of research and it looks like the Transar system is one reason ESS went out of business. I've got the AMT-1A bookshelves not in rotation right now tho. Those original speakers for the Transar system were put together in the owners home! However that said many units never worked or sounded up to the price paid. ouch!
They do have a unique look tho...
Cheers,

Bob
 
It would make sense an unusual design speaker like this wold come with a matched amp containing not only a suitable built in cross-over but possibly some frequency contouring as well. If the woofers got damaged how could you possibly get them repaired? These speakers would make a great conversation piece as rarities but the price is out of line for a dead end technology. Trying to get your money back out of them would likely be very difficult. Let the buyer beware on these oddballs.
 
ess transar

It might be hard to believe, but these speakers are incredible, but not until a lot of things are right. I picked up a mint pair that had been mounted in a wall between two rooms. The Hafler amp that was in use sounded very hard, also the bass part mades a few strange sounds. All of that went away with good speaker cables which is not easy because the speaker runs come out the back of the Transar amp with a 5 pin canon. Without the back of the canon plug, I was able to soldered on good wire and things began to pick up. After I put my old C20 Mc and a Mc225 tube amp in the system things were unbelievable. The speakers really like the warmness of tubes because they are so fast. The bass also cleared up and is quite good. As a musician, I have never hear cleaner or more realistic sound, but it did take a lot of amp and wire changes to find the right combination.

D. Wilkinson
dwilkins@utep.edu
 
I just caught this thread...I think the speakers are still out there. I saw them 'in person' back in the day, but don't recall with any degree of accuracy what they sounded like (I think it was likely the 'waltzing bear'* effect that simply had me mesmerized).

I do know that ESS and dealers had a lot of problems with them, and didn't sell a lot. Certainly, VR is asking too much for them (he's basically asking for about the original sales price), as I'd consider them a museum piece much more than a viable day-to-day loudspeaker. If these are 'Transar 5's', who knows? Maybe ESS figured out a way to get them right, but the necessity of having a subwoofer with an already giant speaker doesn't bode well for that to be true.

A former employee of ESS had this to say about the Transar (and I hope he will forgive me for quoting him here):
Anyone remember the ESS "Transar" speaker? For those who don't, it was billed as a "full-range" Heil-equipped loudspeaker, and was quite stunning looking for its day (mid to late 70's). It was also very expensive - $5,000 - a helluva lot of money at the time.

Actually, a "full-range" Heil, was a misnomer, as the woofer portion had nothing whatsoever in common with the large Heil used as a midrange/tweeter (same unit as in the AMT-1b). The "woofer" portion consisted of what appeared to be opened up black plastic cups, stacked about 8" above one another, through which sheets of lexan were connected via four carbon fibre rods that ran the full height of the speaker. These strips would vibrate, much in the manner a paper cone would on an "ordinary" speaker, and generate frequencies far lower than the Heil midrange/tweeter was capable of doing.


In order for a dealer to carry the Transar, he had to attend a week-long class at ESS -- at his own expense - to learn all there was to know about the speaker, and also to know how to assemble it. Transars were paid for up front, and "custom-made" for their owners: each had a placard that said, "Custom Designed for..." with the customer's name added. Certainly the height of panache, and part of the speaker's appeal. The speakers were shipped, unassembled to the dealer who then actually built them in the customer's home. All of this carried a sense of uniqueness, which was another aspect of the speaker's appeal. To have a speaker quite literally "custom-made" in one's own home was something no one else could claim.

Unfortunately, few of the Transars ever worked properly. Most of the very large (and expensive) walnut panels didn't fit into the base for the speaker. The required amp (originally made by ESS, and then later redesigned by Carver) emitted a loud hum from its chassis, and the cement used to hold the lexan sheets in place hardened and resulted in a loud "crack" at certain frequencies. With all of these sheets "cracking" the sonic results were an annoying "buzz," which certainly wasn't particularly welcome after having shelled out five grand!

So, what did ESS do to appease all of its angry customers and dealers? Basically, nothing, other than discontinue the speaker's production. Afterwards, mentioning the ESS name, or "Transar" to any of the handful of dealers who attended the class and sold some of these clunkers almost got one killed!

Then, in 1981, the Transar II was designed. It was a less expensive speaker ($3,900) that was smaller, and which came with a coffee-table styled subwoofer, since the so-called "Heil woofer" didn't do particularly well at very low frequencies. The "II" model also didn't require any special amplification and would work off the owner's existing amplifier.

While listening to the Transar II by itself, it seemed to sound pretty good. It played very loudly, with very impressive bass, and little or not audible distortion. The key phrase here is "by itself." One day, we took the Transar II to a local retailer who compared it to a similarly-priced pair of Martin Logan speakers. I'll never forget that comparison for as long as I live: the Transars sounded awful by comparison!

What also told me I was in "deep s**t" was that I was supposed to be heading up the sales department for these speakers, and the Chairman's retort to the comparison between them and the Martin Logans was something of the following order: "Music isn't always genteel, and dealers need to know that." In other words, if the speaker sounds harsh, well that's how it should sound.

That turned out to be my last week at ESS, along with my immediate superior. Not too long after that, the company declared bankruptcy, and the Transar II simply faded into memory.

I worked for a number of different companies in this industry, but none ever so mistreated their dealers as did ESS. While the Transar II didn't require assembly in a customer's home, I can only imagine the problems that might have arisen, and how ESS would, just as they had in the past, completely ignored them.

Just another "stroll down memory lane."
Link

*"It isn't how well the bear waltzes, but that he waltzes at all."
 
i wouldt spend any money there the place is a ripoff and the staff sucks other than that its fine place :nono::thumbsdn:
 
I too worked at ESS in the early 80's. I bought a pair of the Transar II's.

ESS had its problems (e.g. management, financial) -- but I loved these speakers. I have them in storage at the moment and hope to bring them back to life soon.

I do not put myself into the audiophile category. I am a more casual consumer these days. People whose ear is better developed than mine may find reason to criticize these speakers. All I can say is that everyone that ever listened to the Transars in my house was impressed.
 
(1) Being bested by Andromedas is not a terrible criticism; instead, it's a complement to Phase Linear. :D

(2) Says something to me that the few owners don't listen to them, they store them.
:dunno:
 
Back
Top Bottom