• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

So much for my "Audiophile" pretensions

I have been doing some thinking since I posted last. I just wanted to say to the OP of this thread, I am sorry if I took over the thread. I didn't mean to. The topic of speaker polarity came up and I feel I added too much. My problem is, sometimes I just asume that people can hear what I hear in audio and we all hear things differently. I will be more careful of what I post from now on. I will try not to take over threads any more.

Thanks
 
I have been doing some thinking since I posted last. I just wanted to say to the OP of this thread, I am sorry if I took over the thread. I didn't mean to. The topic of speaker polarity came up and I feel I added too much. My problem is, sometimes I just asume that people can hear what I hear in audio and we all hear things differently. I will be more careful of what I post from now on. I will try not to take over threads any more.

Thanks

Bill,

I enjoy reading your contributions to this and other topics on this forum. Being blind and having an especially sharp sense of hearing gives you an unique perspective. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Have a Merry Christmas!
 
Bill,

I enjoy reading your contributions to this and other topics on this forum. Being blind and having an especially sharp sense of hearing gives you an unique perspective. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Have a Merry Christmas!

I enjoy reading your contributions as well. I just want to say, I have learned a lot from you and others on the forum. It has been a great experience for me and I hope to learn a lot more from all of you. Merry Christmas to everyone on the forum.
 
Stick around, Bill, and don't worry about hijacking the threads. Sometimes a little diversion livens them up and you never know when you might make someone's day.
 
Hi Bill,

OT but, one of my close cousins was born blind and I grew up with him. He had also that intense sense of hearing you talk about, as a kid out on the streets with him many a time he would stop me crossing the street because he could hear a vehicle coming around a corner that I could not see! As an adult he would be passenger in my car and he would would point out some mechanical problem in the engine or running gear by a minute sound! He had a guide dog, (bloody stupid thing it was!) and out on the streets he used to guide the dog and stop it getting into bother! Amazing!

When it came to my audio gear he was the best "test equipment" I had, Just using his enhanced hearing I could set up my turntable, position my speakers, find an electronic fault and many times he would tell me that the absolute phasing of my system was wrong! A close friend was a musician and appeared on many classical recordings back in the day and Mike would listen to the new recordings and be able to tell him every "mistake" that he made! Wow! did I envy his sense of hearing! He continued to adulthood gaining a stunner of a wife and four great kids! he also held down a responsible job for the whole of his working life.

Growing Up with Mike I suppose I very soon forgot about his disability, he himself would say that because he never had sight he didn't really know what he was missing.

As to being "sorry" for hijacking threads? You shouldn't be! If anyone is "uncomfortable" then they have the problem, you have a rather unique gift and communicating what you can do with it to us is eye opening! (no pun intended). Please carry on posting Bill! If you ever come to the UK I would have a job for you, fine tuning my hifi system for me, Unfortunately my Cousin Mike is no longer with us and I could sure use a good set of ears!

Enjoy your Christmas holiday!
 
I would just like to thank all of you for your comments. I am planning on sticking around the forum. I like it here and you guys have taught me a lot as well.

Persil, If I am ever in the UK, I will look you up. I would love to help you with your hifi system. I would love to help any of you with your systems, or any way I could be of help. I may not know everything,, but I am willing to do what I can.
 
"the better system the less probability to hear anything differently when changing phase"

that is patently INCORRECT. in fact, just the opposite is true. people with receivers, inadequate speakers, and acoustically flawed rooms have little chance of detecting the phase incongruance whereas those with very good electronics, speakers, and rooms without massive reflection problems will be more aware of variations such as these.
 
I am not saying this to brag, but even on a good system I can tell when speakers are wired out of phase.
 
I can hear absolute phase. Here is another example. The drums on Since I've Been loving You byLed Zeppelin sound like they are out of phase. I have wondered if this was done on purpose. This is just something I am sensitive to.
 
many times, different microphones end up OOP at the board due to the number of gain stages prior to the board. if someone doesnt pay close attention to this, it gets onto the recording. other times, its an effect a producer or musician is looking for.
 
many times, different microphones end up OOP at the board due to the number of gain stages prior to the board. if someone doesnt pay close attention to this, it gets onto the recording. other times, its an effect a producer or musician is looking for.

I wouldn't want to keep reversing the phase on my speakers each time I hear this. Sometimes the effects sound pretty cool when drums are out of phase and sometimes not so much.
 
Have Ear, Will Travel

"Persil, If I am ever in the UK, I will look you up. I would love to help you with your hifi system."

Anytime you're near, come hear-please.
 
Good recording and production engineers use an instrument specially made to check acoustic polarity by generating a polarized acoustic or electric signal pulse at the mic or anywhere else and checking the polarity at the end of the chain, no guesswork required. This is absolutely necessary so that combined signals do not cancel when mixed down, as well as being simply good professional practice.
http://www.galaxyaudio.com/CRICKET.php
http://www.gato-audio.com/phase-it.php
 
Last edited:
I have been doing some thinking since I posted last. I just wanted to say to the OP of this thread, I am sorry if I took over the thread. I didn't mean to. The topic of speaker polarity came up and I feel I added too much. My problem is, sometimes I just asume that people can hear what I hear in audio and we all hear things differently. I will be more careful of what I post from now on. I will try not to take over threads any more.

Thanks

No worries what so ever, I just posted a random thought.
That random thought started a discussion.
I find it fascinating how these things gain a life of thier own.

Also what you have to say on this and many other threads is very interesting and well thought out.:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom