• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any indoor FM antenna worth using?

Hit the thrift stores and pick up some rabbit ears for dirt cheap. I've had the best luck with the ones that use 300 Ohm twin-lead. I've also cobbled together a j-pole from thin copper wire and tacked it to a wall. I won't touch amplified antennas, except the portable amplified rabbit ears that Rat Shack used to sell years ago.
 
This Radio Shack rabbit ear with tuning knob was better than twin lead dipole and rabbit ear type without the tuning knob. I also tried amplified Radio Shack antenna, but added too much noise.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1800.jpg
    IMG_1800.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 14
I've had great results from the wide band vertical omni you can build here but I do it a bit differently so you can hang it on the wall, sort of like a big wall mounted rabbit ears. More in this post. Dipoles need to be oriented vertically, but everybody puts them horizontal. BTW, if you do a 75 ohm antenna be sure to use decent low loss 75 ohm cable. It don't do any good to build a great antenna and the lose all the signal in the cable.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom