• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any indoor FM antenna worth using?

N8Nagel

Addicted Member
Hi all,

I find that I do actually like listening to the radio, however, many of my favorite stations I have no problems listening to in either of my vehicles but they are very difficult to tune in on any radio inside the house. I've got a Sangean HDT-1X, a Tivoli Model One, and an old Blaupunkt "Virginia" table radio in various places throughout the house. My favorite station is currently broadcasting in reduced power due to some tower work, and is unlistenable (I can tune it in on the Sangean, but only in very staticky analog) while I can get full HD in my car parked right out front.

I'm just using cheap split dipoles tacked to the walls behind the various radios, but I've been thinking about getting something that will allow me to get OTA TV as well. Do any of the "silver sensor" type antennas work well for FM also? (I'm assuming that the rabbit ears portions might work OK?) Are any of them significantly better than a split dipole or unamplified rabbit ears? I would like to use an outdoor antenna but I'm renting, and also don't have a ladder tall enough to get on the roof.
 
Register to hide this ad
An amplified indoor antenna will add its noise to the signal but can give you a bit of directionality and a stronger (albeit noisier) signal to your tuner.

I picked up a RadioShack unit that was pretty decent until I got the outdoor antenna connected. It had rabbit ears and and amp.

They are cheap and often found a garage sales or at Goodwill so experimentation is easy enough.
 
I tried several of the terk models and found dipoles work better. Try tuning in your station over the web. Is it wpfw?
 
I live in an apartment building and for me the good old rabbit ears work the best. Placement of course is everything.
 
I normally just use a old set of rabbit ears for 300 ohm inputs. Picked up a BIC beam box antenna that sure surprised me. Also Radio Shack made a model 15-1833 powered adjustable frequency antenna that works well.



Barney
 
I normally just use a old set of rabbit ears for 300 ohm inputs. Picked up a BIC beam box antenna that sure surprised me. Also Radio Shack made a model 15-1833 powered adjustable frequency antenna that works well.



Barney

Is that the one I am using in NH (sort of visible in attached photo)? It is OK, no better and no worse than other similar (small) amplified set top antennas, I'd opine.
 

Attachments

  • amp and stuff NH.jpg
    amp and stuff NH.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 86
In previous residences the 'rabbit ears' worked and the amplified rabbit ears as well as an off brand version of the well known Magnum Dynalab which was the best.
http://magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-st2.htm

That proved to be more so at the current house where the MG was the only one that was any good. Because of the long winter not wanting to put up an outdoor I found another solution: ie a small light folding Radio Shack Antennacraft outdoor antenna used indoors. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3740648
I have it now in the drop ceiling space of the basement. I had it in a closet. Per a suggestion on another thread, I am only using one side or one half of it.

Both of those work only with my most receptive tuners, but not all of my tuners.
 
Is that the one I am using in NH (sort of visible in attached photo)? It is OK, no better and no worse than other similar (small) amplified set top antennas, I'd opine.

The RS one of mine looks different. You have a knob that allow one to tune to the frequency the radio is also going to be on.


Barney
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I normally just use a old set of rabbit ears for 300 ohm inputs. Picked up a BIC beam box antenna that sure surprised me. Also Radio Shack made a model 15-1833 powered adjustable frequency antenna that works well.



Barney

So how does the Beam Box work with picking up weak stations?
 
So how does the Beam Box work with picking up weak stations?

Surprised me! I have it placed in the bottom of the cabinet my plasma TV rest on. You just tune it to the same frequency you want to listen to and like magic a weak station come through. But you can't cheat like I tried to and leave it in the middle band hoping to pull in all stations. No worky that way!



Barney
 
I tried several of the terk models and found dipoles work better. Try tuning in your station over the web. Is it wpfw?

No, WAMU out of DC. And yes I did but my desktop is dead and my laptop is dying, I'm technologically challenged this week! Guess I'll stop by RS and see if they have any rabbit ears without the usual RS markup.

Oddly, the one amplified antenna that I have used in the past (for TV) and didn't find it inferior to the bunny ears was a Terk "silver sensor" model, but I gave it to my friend to put in his shop (he bought an auto repair shop in a, um, disadvantaged neighborhood) and the miscreants that broke in and stole the TV out of the waiting room took it as well :(
 
"You have a knob that allow one to tune to the frequency the radio is also going to be on"

that sounds worth trying
 
I use a simple 9 dollar dipole from Radio Shack. I live in a prewar building in NYC with thick plaster walls, and it's pretty much my best bet.
 
Its amazing what kind of reception you get with three alligator clipped test leads clipped end to end.:rolleyes:
 
I normally just use a old set of rabbit ears for 300 ohm inputs. Picked up a BIC beam box antenna that sure surprised me. Also Radio Shack made a model 15-1833 powered adjustable frequency antenna that works well. Barney

+1 on the Beam Box. Bought 2 recently for my Citation III-X and a Dynaco FM-1. Improved my signal strength for a couple of hard to get stations. Very pleased with the purchase.
 
In my current home, rabbit ears do well - better than tacked-to-the-wall dipoles - and I believe that is primarily due to the ability to easily orient them in a plane different from the wall's.

However, in a previous location, I almost despaired of finding a way to receive a certain station due, I think, to the large brick building in which I lived, and similar ones nearby. After trying various powered and unpowered interior FM antennas by Terk, Realistic, RCA and other brands, I bought some basic 300 ohm twin lead at Home Depot and simply ran a straight 12' length of it about waist-high (2nd floor apartment) along a wall where it was hidden by furniture and an interior door which we never closed. Unconventional, but problem solved and all stations came in better.
 
Last edited:
There appears to be different models of the Beam Box?? FM8, FM10, maybe is saw a FM6?? Any one better than others?
 
Back
Top Bottom