• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha NS-1000M

RuSsMaN

Pudknocker
Ok, checking these out, getting them ready for sale. The Beryllium dome mids and tweets are fine - but the grille over one mid has a couple small dents. Any easy fix? I've thought about 'hooking' it on 3 or 4 sides, and pulling with equal pressure thinking it will pop out - but man, I'd rather sell them with the dent, than really fubar it trying to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I take it this is a sort-of rare model? The wood finish and grilles (not pictured) aren't usually part of the package, no? I know they are back breakers, that's for sure. They've got to be every bit of 80lbs each.

Cheers,
Russ
 

Attachments

  • P0006643.jpg
    P0006643.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 108
  • P0006645.jpg
    P0006645.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 145
Register to hide this ad
Hi Fella, if I were you I'd just make mention the cages have a few depressions in them, easily workable. I know how uptight and neurotic some audiophiles & collectors can be, but that being said they'd probably rather do the work themselves. This way they can use a tunneling electron microscope / micrometer or similar device to get those cages back in *perfect* uniformity. In a nutshell, just leave them be and sell as is.
 
Russ I really don't think those imperfections will affect their selling price. At least not enough to offset your aggravation. Describe them as is and leave them alone. Good luck.

cubdog
 
Are those really "M's"? My NS-1000M are black, sans the routed corners. Would think the NS-1000 to be a rarer bird, but unsure.. Mine implicitly state NS-1000M right before the serial number slot.

I've tweedled with the dents on the dome grills, using fishing string and pulled gently here and there. The results were less than perfect and a total PITA. I agree with the sentiment to let them fly as is.
 
They aren't marked 'M', but looking in Orion, it specifically mentioned a wood finish on the 'M' model.

The audio old timer I got them from said the finish on these was something on the order of an $800 upgrade at the time. They have an American walnut look, but deeper, with maybe just a HINT of red, and I mean a HINT.

Cheers,
Russ
 
Why would you part with those wonderful speakers? Do you not like the sound or just moving on?

K
 
RuSsMaN said:
They aren't marked 'M', but looking in Orion, it specifically mentioned a wood finish on the 'M' model.

The audio old timer I got them from said the finish on these was something on the order of an $800 upgrade at the time. They have an American walnut look, but deeper, with maybe just a HINT of red, and I mean a HINT.

Cheers,
Russ

Looks and sounds like to me you have an ebony veneer finish pair there.

That is one of the very few pair of commercially made loudspeakers I personally would hang onto.

At auction, look to get $2200 - $2500.

Unless you are tight for cash, you might as well hang onto those.

You can always sell them at a later date because they certainly aren't depreciating in value.
 
ARRAY said:
Looks and sounds like to me you have an ebony veneer finish pair there.

That is one of the very few pair of commercially made loudspeakers I personally would hang onto.

At auction, look to get $2200 - $2500.

Unless you are tight for cash, you might as well hang onto those.

You can always sell them at a later date because they certainly aren't depreciating in value.

Those are stunning. :drool: mirror imaged and all :thmbsp:
 
Array, that is EXACTLY the finish on these. You think 2 large? I was hoping for a grand - or at least start fishing at that price point.

I've got $300 in em', so I figured I was golden at that price.

Cheers,
Russ
 
RuSsMaN said:
Array, that is EXACTLY the finish on these. You think 2 large? I was hoping for a grand - or at least start fishing at that price point.

I've got $300 in em', so I figured I was golden at that price.

Cheers,
Russ

Hi Russ, if they are in really good shape don't settle for less than $2k. If I had a pair I wouldn't sell them for less than $2k (this is hypothetical because if I did have a pair I wouldn't sell), and I would get that amount. The ebony finish model is so beautiful and rare it'd be criminal for anything less. If memory serves, ebony is an endangered species tree and can't be harvested (legally) anymore, so this makes such NS-1000 pairs all the more special.
 
Hmm...my guess would be Rosewood, but either way...NICE speakers. Wish I could: 1) afford 'em and 2) afford to have 'em shipped up east!

I bet that they sound wonderful!
 
I don't know, I haven't gotten my ears on them yet, in one of my rigs.

What I did hear at the old timers abode I stole them from, sounded pretty friggin good - albiet he did have top notch electronics to back it up.
 
Don't know, this may have been said, but when I got a couple of dents on a Minimus 7 grill, I inserted an allen wrench, turned it and popped out the dent from the back.

This may work for you.
 
Last edited:
Turn them drivers facing down and hit those grills with a blow torch. Face the torch sideways so as not to point directly at the cone, that would just be silly.
 
Most likely these are Macassar ebony.[more brown stripes than other ebony]Apart from top quality burl this is the most expensive veneer you can buy.They have to be worth more with this finnish.
 
RuSsMaN said:
They aren't marked 'M', but looking in Orion, it specifically mentioned a wood finish on the 'M' model.

The audio old timer I got them from said the finish on these was something on the order of an $800 upgrade at the time. They have an American walnut look, but deeper, with maybe just a HINT of red, and I mean a HINT.

Cheers,
Russ
Definitely NOT M's. They are the quite rare NS-1000, the home model of the NS-1000M. As stated, ebony veneer. About 2" taller/wider than the M and also a bit deeper. And you are correct. They are 85 pounds, each, which is 17 pounds more than the M. I just bought a set to replace my M's with.

Think bolly has pulled the grills on a tweeter and/or midrange. He might be able to help you with info on getting them off to push out from the inside.

You should at least double your price and put them on Audiogon. But, this is not the buying season. Think you will do better in the fall when folks start moving back indoors. I won't have mine in the system until I get moved next month, but am expecting them to be at least as good as the wonderful NS-1000M. Very transparent and musical sound. :music:

I like listening to mine at about 6-7 feet (near-field). Should sound great with your tubes. :thmbsp: Definitely need to be up off the floor about a foot and tipped back so the tweeter is pointed at your ears at you normal listening height. I drive mine with a Yamaha B-2 VFET amp and have both the tweeter and mid-range turned down just a bit with the L-pad controls on the front. To my ears, they sound best with the grills on. Without the grills, I turn them down just a bit more. If you like jazz or classical you should like these speakers. If you are into heavy rock n' roll and bangin' bass, you will need to judiciously play with the bass control on your preamp (assuming you have tone controls).

Go here http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/index.php and type in NS-1000 or NS-1000M in the search box and the owner's manual (a whole 4-pages) will open and you can read the spec's, etc.

And, here's a link to a review from not long ago http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/oldeworldehtml/yamahans1000m.html

Hook 'em up and enjoy the music!! :music:
 
Last edited:
kfa888 said:
Turn them drivers facing down and hit those grills with a blow torch. Face the torch sideways so as not to point directly at the cone, that would just be silly.
Bad idea.......very bad idea. You'll burn off the coating, as a minimum.
 
Back
Top Bottom