• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Flipped over my speakers.....WOW!

djnagle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi All, yesterday I flipped over my Jensen Imperials. What a huge difference.

Here they are in their origanal state. The EV 8hd/T-25 midrange horn and T-35 tweeter are sitting in the sub mouth. That puts the woof down low close to the floor and way from the other drivers. The vocals were muddy and the bass was unclear and flabby.

IMG_3025.jpg


IMG_3020.jpg


The first thing I did was flip one and take a listen. The differnece was night and day. the midbass tightened up a lot and the vocals became very cohenent and the sub freqs went down a bunch(not very scientific). Then I flipped the other one and replaced the 8hd midrange horn with the Pyle Econo wave guide. All the honkyness when out of that side and the vocals really opened up.....so I then swapped the 8hd on the other side with the Econo wave guide. Out of all the systems I've had, I like these the best. I just don't think I could improve upon them any further. Huge soundstage, tremendous dynamics, increadable detail, seemless transitions between drivers, and generally a full wall of sound.

IMG_3257.jpg


IMG_3258.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I see you have the tweeters time aligned. I wonder what would happen if you placed the tweeters on top of the mids in a similar configuration?
 
They are very comfortable and only 50 bucks at Ikia. Cheers.

I tried mounting the tweets on top of the midhorn and did not notice any differnce so I decided to keep the wieght of the mids. Cheers.
 
Out of all the systems I've had, I like these the best. I just don't think I could improve upon them any further. Huge soundstage, tremendous dynamics, increadable detail, seemless transitions between drivers, and generally a full wall of sound.
I had no experience with those EV horns, so it was largely a guess that you might like the PT waveguides better. You have constant directivity and uniform power response now, a substantial improvement, at least in theory.

As with many other elements audio, horn/waveguide technology has moved substantially forward during the intervening years. I'm certainly pleased it worked out so well, and that you like them.... :yes:
 
Wouldn't it be equally effective simply to put the speakers on a stand to get the woofers away from the floor?
 
Wouldn't it be equally effective simply to put the speakers on a stand to get the woofers away from the floor?

It would make a difference in the bass quality but would not change the distance between the midrange and the woofer. That will influence midrange response. I'd be very curious to see a measured response plot before & after and note if there was a dip in midrange response before or if it was fairly flat vs. how it looks after the change. Intuitively this seems like a good move.
 
As you can see by the drawing, the midbass is now up near the midrange and tweeter and gives a much tighter presentation and the sub-signals are unloading on the floor which is now deep and rich. I think raising the cab off the floor might raise the sub signal a bit. But it is worth a try. If there is anyone in the Detroit area with measuring equipment, I'd love to try it. Cheers.
 
Last edited:
Yah Keg, I blew one of my T-25 drivers. Other than that, it is day and night from when you heard the system last.
 
Oh that's a bummer about the the T25, yu know Andyman may have one, or Squid for that matter.
 
Cool, I'll check around. Does anyone around here have measuring equipment? I'd like to see where they are beyond my ear. Cheers.
 
I'm not familiar with T25 drivers. Are diaphragms available for them?

To the extent that the woofer is playing midrange, it's WAY too far separated from mid and tweeter in the original design for a coherent presentation. That's much improved by inverting the cab.... :yes:
 
I don't think there is a replacement for the EV so I might have to look for a good driver. Yes, the coherence is GREATLY improved. And, I actually think they look better like this. The trim around the sub mouth anchors the speaker and they get smaller as they go up. Makes for a solid looking piece. Cheers.
 
Now that I look at the design sheet, I see what you mean. And more than simply getting the drivers close to eachother, you are coupling the horn mouth to the floor, where it should have been all along, so your bass ought to be deeper also. Good move!
 
much deeper Nat. This cab was origanally design to be this way using the G610 tri-axial single driver. I am really digging the sound now. Cheers.
 
Wonder why they made it the wrong way when they went with a full threeway. Its not like with a speaker that large an extra 6 or 8 inches in heights really going to matter, so why not just have the vent below where it belongs and the high frequency drivers in the top section. Very handsome speaker either way.
 
Back
Top Bottom