• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone else excited for RECORD STORE DAY?

SchweinHaus

Well-Known Member
So last year, my buddies and I started at 6 a.m. and visited 8 records stores throughout Chicago, and as you can see by the pictures below, had a hell of a time.
This year, we're upping the stakes and going for a 10th and 1tth store. To counteract all the hoopla and lines, we're planning on heading to a proper bin-diving joint in a marginal neighborhood at the end of the day in homage to the true essence of record stores.
There's a whole list available here of the insane number of limited edition and unique new vinyl being offered tomorrow.
I realize that I'm somewhat being sold on the limitedness on most of these records, but it's always a fun day, I always find great things not on my list (and miss a few things on it.) and it's a great way to support local brick-and-mortar shops.
Here's my list:
Charles Bradley" "I hope you find the good life 12" single 1500 copies
Sam Cooke: Ain't That Good News 1800 copies
Conor Oberst "Hundreds of ways" 7" 4300 copies
Death Cab for Cutie (for my gf) feat. The Magick Magick Orchestra (unspecified copies)
Joy Division: An Ideal for Living 7500 copies
Langhorne Slim: Animal 7" 1000 copies
Otis Redding: Pain in My Heart 2700 copies
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings: Dap-Dipping (Remastered) 1500 copies
Jimi Hendrix: Live at Monterey 7000 copies
Jaco Pastorious: Modern Music ... Period! 3000 copies
Wes Montgomery: Live at the Turf Club 2000 copies.
Donny Hathaway: Live at the Bitter End 2750 copies.
and the coup de gras: Nirvana: Pennyroyal Tea, 6000 copies. The b-side of this single was "I Hate Myself and I Want to Die," and the release was scrapped due to Cobain's suicide just a few weeks earlier.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20130421_001845.jpg
    IMG_20130421_001845.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 85
Register to hide this ad
I'd like to have the Donny Hathaway. There is a Lake Street Dive single that I'll probably grab, and my daughter wants the Paramore record. However, what I really want is the Cake box but sadly it isn't in the budget.
 
I love the spirit behind record store day. but the stores themselves often use the opportunity to just raise prices on everything, especially the RSD specials. Plus, none of the places around me have any special performances or giveaways. so its just like another day, except you pay more.
 
I'm pretty jealous you get to go to Amoeba Saturday. Which location? Their Berkeley joint is incredible.

SF :D

I was there last weekend and spent a ton. But looking at the pdf if I can grab a few specials that would be cool.
Yardbirds....Little Games [Stereo Splatter Vinyl]
Page,Jimmy & The Black Crowes Live at the Greek [3LP Color Vinyl]
Jett,Joan and the Blackhearts..Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth [Pink Vinyl]

Creedence Clearwater Revival..The 1969 Singles [White Vinyl]

Plus lots more..
 
Ooh. What's the tracklisting on the CCR lp? I don't think my budget can bear any more strain, but that could be tempting if something else falls through.
 
SF :D

I was there last weekend and spent a ton. But looking at the pdf if I can grab a few specials that would be cool.
Yardbirds....Little Games [Stereo Splatter Vinyl]
Page,Jimmy & The Black Crowes Live at the Greek [3LP Color Vinyl]
Jett,Joan and the Blackhearts..Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth [Pink Vinyl]

Creedence Clearwater Revival..The 1969 Singles [White Vinyl]

Plus lots more..

Have you been there for Record Store Day in past years? Will there be a line to get in this Saturday? I'm curious if the special releases will be amongst the inventory in the usual locations or if they will have a dedicated space.
 
Have you been there for Record Store Day in past years? Will there be a line to get in this Saturday? I'm curious if the special releases will be amongst the inventory in the usual locations or if they will have a dedicated space.

Never been on RD but the store is huge and on height st. They would not be able to keep a crowd outside. I don't think it will be much busier than any other weekend. You got to remember all the tourist traffic the height gets.

Im sure they will file records where they would normally do and mix them in. Im just wondering if I can get multiple copies.:thmbsp:
 
Actually, virtualy every record store in Chicago has a line when they first open, usually early, and the special rwleases are behind the counter. You wait in line and ask for items off the list. If you go later in the day, you don't have the line, but risk not getting what you want. I'm trying to hit at least 4 stores at open tomorrow to maximize ny chances.
 
Actually, virtualy every record store in Chicago has a line when they first open, usually early, and the special rwleases are behind the counter. You wait in line and ask for items off the list. If you go later in the day, you don't have the line, but risk not getting what you want. I'm trying to hit at least 4 stores at open tomorrow to maximize ny chances.

Tomorrow? You mean Saturday...
 
Lol. Guess I can't wait. There was one store last year that opened at noon last year and just had the RSD swag stocked with the rest of thwir wares, and it was a really cool change of pace
 
Cool, I just heard about this today from a friend. We were at a local record store earlier....sound like a fun time. I will have to go.
 
Can you provide the names and addresses of the record stores in Chicago?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
 
Just talked to one of my local store owners that I have a good relationship (like a friend) with.

He said that not all the records will be out on saturday. That shipments are getting out late and next week he will have a lot coming in. He said that I can pay saturday and pick them up next week. People are asking about the RSD Cake Box Set, this one he knows is coming in next week and is late.

Moral of the story look all week long for these rare copies. He is not the only store that is getting late shipments. Employes at stores will just tell you they don't have it or that they are out of, not knowing more might be coming.
 
Never been on RD but the store is huge and on height st. They would not be able to keep a crowd outside. I don't think it will be much busier than any other weekend. You got to remember all the tourist traffic the height gets.

Im sure they will file records where they would normally do and mix them in. Im just wondering if I can get multiple copies.:thmbsp:

Cool. I guess we will both find out on Saturday. I've been in the store a number of times since I'm a local San Franciscan, but not on RSD. For some reason, I can imagine the place being packed like when certain artists perform there.

I could see the value in buying two copies of certain titles... one to play and one to keep sealed and pristine. That said, I'll probably just buy one of each in my wish list. :D
 
Cool. I guess we will both find out on Saturday. I've been in the store a number of times since I'm a local San Franciscan, but not on RSD. For some reason, I can imagine the place being packed like when certain artists perform there.

I could see the value in buying two copies of certain titles... one to play and one to keep sealed and pristine. That said, I'll probably just buy one of each in my wish list. :D

After I posted I had see your local to me. You did see my post just above right.
 
Back
Top Bottom