ADS L710 - Restoration Project
I picked up this pair of ADS 710 off of CL. Very impressive set of speakers. These ADS speakers sound amazing; all the hype is for real. Unfortunately one of the tweeters was blown, but you wouldn't have known from the sound test I conducted while auditioning with the original owner. Fortunately, I remembered the toilet paper tube test on each of the drivers, identified the blown tweet, and was able to negotiate a discount on the asking price.
What is of particular interest is the mystery surrounding the labeling of this pair of ADS.
Crediting AK members jdurbin1 and Blue Shadow: The theory is that these may be a factory sample built as a transition from the 1st version 710 to 2nd version L710. Thus the odd serial number labeling of 710003 and 710010 with no other distinguishing markings other than the ADS grill emblem. The smaller dome tweeter is a 1st version 206-0107, the woofers are 2nd version 206-0325. The grill, emblem and mount details match generation 2. The original owner indicated that no work or replacement of any parts had been made. The odd serial number labeling is a mystery.
I picked up this pair of ADS 710 off of CL. Very impressive set of speakers. These ADS speakers sound amazing; all the hype is for real. Unfortunately one of the tweeters was blown, but you wouldn't have known from the sound test I conducted while auditioning with the original owner. Fortunately, I remembered the toilet paper tube test on each of the drivers, identified the blown tweet, and was able to negotiate a discount on the asking price.
What is of particular interest is the mystery surrounding the labeling of this pair of ADS.
Crediting AK members jdurbin1 and Blue Shadow: The theory is that these may be a factory sample built as a transition from the 1st version 710 to 2nd version L710. Thus the odd serial number labeling of 710003 and 710010 with no other distinguishing markings other than the ADS grill emblem. The smaller dome tweeter is a 1st version 206-0107, the woofers are 2nd version 206-0325. The grill, emblem and mount details match generation 2. The original owner indicated that no work or replacement of any parts had been made. The odd serial number labeling is a mystery.
Attachments
Last edited: