• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Knight Triaxial Driver ID/questions!

rogerfederer

determined amateur
Subscriber
I picked up a pair of knight cabinets with 15" triaxials in them. (here is my thread re that: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=618024 )

turns out the 2 drivers are not matched. 1 is labeled knight KN 810 A. pictures are attached here. i found a couple of threads that suggest it may be a jensen:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=vintage&m=23302
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24692

can anyone give me an ID re this?

The other driver is a goodmans 15" triaxial. Will attach pictures in a subsequent post.

Seller said her dad built the cabinets (I'm guessing from a kit). Maybe he had to replace one of the drivers and picked a close match??

Anyways, my 2nd question is how well are the 2 drivers matched. When I 1st ran these in the garage the volume from the cabinet with the KN 810 A was higher. After 3 1/2 days the volume evened out (the goodmans driver woke up?). I have not opened up the crossovers yet...

Thanks for any ideas!
 

Attachments

  • P1030079.jpg
    P1030079.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 69
  • P1030092.jpg
    P1030092.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P1030089.jpg
    P1030089.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 63
Register to hide this ad
here are pics of the goodmans driver
 

Attachments

  • P1030080.jpg
    P1030080.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 56
  • P1030087.jpg
    P1030087.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 63
Obviously you'll want to figure out what the other one is, but don't ever let that Goodmans driver go... Hang onto it 'til you find a match for it... Trust me on this... I heard a pair of large alnico Goodmans once and was blown away.
 
Eureka

OK, found the manufacturer/date code on the rim of the KN 810 A. it is "2209 49" so that means a jensen from 1949.

so that leaves me with the question of how well these 2 drivers are matched? obvious answer is "listen and decide."

i'd still like any advice. i see a singleton goodmans for sale right now and am wondering if i should go after it? but when i was listening to the 2 cabinets and didn't really know what was in them, both sounded great and the cab with the jensen sounded the best right off the bat -- took the goodmans a while to wake up.
 
OK, found the manufacturer/date code on the rim of the KN 810 A. it is "2209 49" so that means a jensen from 1949.

so that leaves me with the question of how well these 2 drivers are matched? obvious answer is "listen and decide."

i'd still like any advice. i see a singleton goodmans for sale right now and am wondering if i should go after it? but when i was listening to the 2 cabinets and didn't really know what was in them, both sounded great and the cab with the jensen sounded the best right off the bat -- took the goodmans a while to wake up.

I would think it's more likely "49th week (or day) of 1959" than "9/49" for that date code.
 
Bit surprised.. Your other responses suggested that Triaxials were "iffy' At best.
They were absolutely correct.
60 years of additional age has Not magically transformed these into Decent drivers.
 
I have one spot in the house for big box speakers and so far my bozaks have defeated all comers. I want to give these knights a fighting chance. So I'll recap them and clean up the cabinets and see how they do.

I could also use the cabinets to try out my wharfedale super 12s.

I have some really great sounding modern full range drivers (visatons, audio nirvanas, fostex, alpair), but it can be fun to try out a different sound.
 
Had a chance to chat with hammr7 at the AK fest today. His advice is to try and match one of the 2 drivers and sell the resulting singleton. Makes sense to me.

If any one has a match for either of these drivers I'd like to talk:yes:
 
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=618325


attachment.php
 
c-atle-79bay,

thanks for info. so the KN 815 A is probably same as/very similar to my goodmans driver. that matches up with what hammr7 is telling me (see my BT thread).

i bet you need to recap yours b4 you pass judgment on them; i tested the cap values in both of my triaxials and all the caps were bad.
 
I think I would recap both speakers with their correct values and decide which one you prefer and find a match.
 
Back
Top Bottom