• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha pair united in love

bully

member
Pix I hope. Yamaha C-2x & M-80.

Damnation. I cannot even work the attachments. I even tried to resize the thing, now I cannot find the resized picture. Anybody got an email I could send the fullsize picture to and have you put it here?
 
Register to hide this ad
Mandak, shoot me a PM with your email. I had it but not anymore. My mail managing is atrocious.
I'm curious how to save it and resend it. But it is full size, and apparently too large for AK. Maybe the Luddites are right.
 
There is a limit of 900x900 pixels or 195.3 KB what ever first is met. If the pic. is over one of these limets it can not be posted.
 

Attachments

  • bully C-2x.jpg
    bully C-2x.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I just cud not help my self, sorry B-2

The amp needs to be fixed, it never leaves protection.
 

Attachments

  • New.jpg
    New.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 108
Hmm... I think I am in for it this time. Spring cleaning is a small word compared to this, I'd better start to look for a service manual :scratch2:
And maybe a brush or something.

But a look at the stack can make me smile again.
 

Attachments

  • BThe stack.jpg
    BThe stack.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 86
  • B-2x more left.jpg
    B-2x more left.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 60
  • B-2x left.jpg
    B-2x left.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 69
  • B-2x just opend.jpg
    B-2x just opend.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 86
PX-3, C-2x, B-2x - nice stack there!!

The B-2x was quite a success when it came out in Japan (wonder what Yamaha product wasn't a success in Japan!), a little bit like Kenwood's L-02A. Both however vanished fairly quickly from the scene and I don't know why...
IIRC, Yamaha's A-2000 Class A integrated shared some with the B-2x.
 
the-real-mandak said:
I just cud not help my self, sorry B-2
The amp needs to be fixed, it never leaves protection.
Very nice. Hopefully, your amp will return to full health soon. :thmbsp:

Want to trade that C-2x for a CX-1? :D
 
The weekend was all low-level listening. The good news is that the C-2x & M-80 performed superbly in that difficult ouvre.
Like I said in the title, these two pieces just love each other.
Combined with the speakers, of course, the spatial ambience is wonderful, you can really pinpoint instruments and vocals. The sound is very natural, makes you agree that "natural sound" Yamaha was more than a slogan.
No neighbor for the evening, and the Dave Clark 5 never sounded better outside of a concert.
I can only imagine what a pair of DQ-10s would sound here. Or a pair of Carver Amazings. The P-530 are so nice themselves.
 
B-2; not really. It would be a shame to part it from the B-2x, this thread is about love right?

And I hope to get the big one (28kg) up and running in the near future. But it is not entirely up to me, it needs a lot of work and I am not merrylander. The whole thing needs to be taken apart; I think the pictures speak for them selves. I better wait for a service manual and a friend to guide me. The C-2x also needs a loving hand, the guy I bought it from has only used it for CDs, never tried the phone stage! So since 1989 it has only been turned on and off, I had to work the switch quite a bit for making both channels play when I tried the phono input. It hums when I switch on the 15Hz low cut, I’m a little afraid that it looks like the B-2x inside.

But I did make a little test run with a CDX-880, CDX-870 and the M-85, putting it up against the C-85 and CX-1000. The C-85 was left in the dust, both the CX-1000 and the C-2x have a much wider stereo perceptive, the living room just opens op. But I am not letting the 85 down; it will get a service (well all of them will get one). It was not possible to do a descent test of the phone stage, my Cartridge is finished.

It is easy to understand bully’s smile, the C-2x is not the worst unit Yamaha has put out.
 
Last edited:
Oh and, B-2 I think I found a compromise with the remote thing, the CDX-870 and 880 has a head phone output that doubles on the back as a regular left/right output. The knob has a servo so you can remote control it.

It will only work for CDs, but it is a beginning :banana:

Yamaha B-2 said:
Love and jealousy....are they not opposite sides of the same coin? :naughty:

You might be right, maybe I should put a little extra water in the Atlantic. And remember my unit is a 240V, you can’t use it :yes:
 
Last edited:
bully if you want to know how the C-2x looks inside, here it is.
 

Attachments

  • C-2x open.jpg
    C-2x open.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Back panel indside.jpg
    Back panel indside.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Selecter and low cut switch.jpg
    Selecter and low cut switch.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 344
the-real-mandak said:
You might be right, maybe I should put a little extra water in the Atlantic. And remember my unit is a 240V, you can’t use it :yes:
Global warming, unfortunately, is taking care of the extra water for us all.

And, we have recently come up with a marvelous new invention over here. :banana: Its called a 'step-down' transformer. It allows us to use gear designed for 240v operation on 115v mains. :D I understand that the inventors of same are working feverishly on the reverse. A 'step up' transformer. But, have heard they are having a tough time of it. :smoke:

BTW - Nice pic's. :thmbsp: The C-2/2a, CX-1/1000 nudies are posted here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54348&highlight=C-2a
 
Last edited:
Gawd, but those are some gorgeous internals! Whattaya bet those are handcrafted?
Listening to the cdplayer with The History of the Dave Clark 5. Very open, detailed and articulate.
My only complaint is that the volume comes on FAST. I can understand why the mute switch seems "mushy" feeling, they probably used it -20dB as a matter of course.
 
I have been doing some more comparison of the C-85, CX-1000 and the C-2x with the M-85 in class A mode. Played Kate Bush’s Aerial 3. Track on CD 1 using a Yamaha CDX-880.

As I wrote before the C-85 is just left behind, the sound almost becomes gray in comparison to the 2 others. It is a bit scary to write that, course I think the C-85 is really good.

The CX-1000 is closer to the sound of the C-2x, it has the same wide stereo perspective. Also the positioning of instruments is like the 2x, but it sounds a little flat compared to the other. The depth perspective is also a little less, not much but still.

What makes the C-2x better is a more warm/full sound; it also has more detail than the CX-1000. The cream on top is as bully says the ambience, it is just super. The CX-1000 also has great ambience, but where the CX-1000 makes the sound of the room. The C-2x just becomes the room; it is like it pulls you in into the room where the CX-1000 kind of just leaves you in the doorway.

Bully I can fully recognize and agree to what you have written earlier in this thread. It is just like you said “more natural” maybe even more than natural. I am looking forward to testing the phono stage when I get a new Cartridge. I also have the Kate Bush album on heavy vinyl, so I can compare CD vs. TT

Theophile: That Kenwood you have must really be something, since you are letting the C-2x collect dust on most of the inputs.

bully have you listened to the difference in the ambience in class A mode?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom