• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wtf:

Arkay

Lunatic Member
Found the perfect thing for that Kon-Tiki-meets-Cuban style beatnik beer bash you are planning. They can pass for conga drums, beer kegs, and do duty as tropical flower-pot stands all at the same time! :banana:

...Oh, and they are also SPEAKERS!:wtf:


.... Oh, and they are from SONY! :wtf:

If you want to see them, look up item 190096037885 on the first really big auction site that pops into your head that is an acronym of yeba. You have been warned...

Oh, of course no affiliation, etc...


EDIT: I have tried repeatedly to get the subject heading for this thread to read "Wtf?-: Are these Sony things really speakers? What were they thinking?" For some reason (and yes, I refreshed the page so it isn't from my computer's memory cache) it won't show up. Oh, well.
 
Register to hide this ad
I just got a couple of old Stereo Reviews from an AKer, and there is an ad for those Omni Radial Sonys in the September 1970 issue. Six drivers, non parallel sides for diminished standing waves, and a reversable top -- one side a padded cusion -- so they could also be seats. What a deal!
 
Looks like a gorilla has been playing these bongos -

fc74_12.JPG


I'm also reminded of the lyric - 'He's bangin' on those bongos like a chimpanzee!' by Dire Straits

"Superb cosmetics" - that's just too funny - he needs more than a prescription check, Ozmoid - more like a blood test. It probably doesn't help that, during photography, the seller is rolling the speakers around unprotected on that filthy floor.

one more bit of hilarity - does a cylindrically shaped object truly require three dimensions listed for size? LOL
 
Cleve said:
...he needs more than a prescription check, Ozmoid - more like a blood test.
:lmao: :yes:
Cleve said:
one more bit of hilarity - does a cylindrically shaped object truly require three dimensions listed for size? LOL
Actually, to be technical, that's an "ellipsoid". :smoke:
 
Arkay said:
EDIT: I have tried repeatedly to get the subject heading for this thread to read "Wtf?-: Are these Sony things really speakers? What were they thinking?" For some reason (and yes, I refreshed the page so it isn't from my computer's memory cache) it won't show up. Oh, well.
For some inexplicable reason, presumably technical, if you change the title of your post, it will not change in the "title listing page" of the forum: So you can change the title in the thread, but not in the title listing - go figure.

The guy who a while ago started a thread titled "What is the greatest speaker ever - let's have a pole", quickly edited his title after his mis-spelling was made fun of (you know, Lech Waleza, Mother Theresa, pole dancers - you get the idea!), but people kept on making fun of it because he was unable to change the title on the main speaker forum page (#27). Search for "pole" in the "speaker" forum and you will see what I mean.

Oh yes, I found the thread - here it is.

Best regards,
 
Sony Barrell Speakers On steriods!

Here is what I did with my Sony Barrell speakers. 10" downfiring sub at 200 hz, idividually cupped the 4.5" drivers and added the 1" mini domes in between them, then set them on wheels. These are a lot of fun in the pool room and can rally rock with good 360 degree sound!!!
DC
 
I've gotta say, I really love the looks of these. But I bet stock, the sound would be medeocre at best, eh?

dc270 said:
Here is what I did with my Sony Barrell speakers. 10" downfiring sub at 200 hz, idividually cupped the 4.5" drivers and added the 1" mini domes in between them, then set them on wheels. These are a lot of fun in the pool room and can rally rock with good 360 degree sound!!!
DC

Excellent! You read my mind! This is close to what I'd do with 'em if I ever got a pair!

One question- hows cab resonance on these?
 
dc270 said:
Here is what I did with my Sony Barrell speakers. 10" downfiring sub at 200 hz, idividually cupped the 4.5" drivers and added the 1" mini domes in between them, then set them on wheels. These are a lot of fun in the pool room and can rally rock with good 360 degree sound!!!
DC

Bringing those to Budafest 2 this Saturday?
 
dc270, what you did with yours looks a LOT better than the ones up for auction, and makes a lot of sense. Well done! :thmbsp:

Now this has me thinking... we've seen subwoofers installed in toilets (convenient when you've had too many brewskies and you need to woof?!), but clearly the possibilities go way beyond that. Speakers in beer kegs and conga drums and fake garden rocks... what else? Where else might one hide speakers? :scratch2: Hhhmmmm....
 
ozmoid said:
:lmao: :yes:

Actually, to be technical, that's an "ellipsoid". :smoke:

No, according to the seller, they're "cilynders"
I think he subconsciously submitted to the "power of suggestion," however...
:D
 
I look at these and the floor begins to spin beneath my feet. :headscrat

Oh, to see the look on my wife's face if I planted these in the living room! That might be the last thing I ever see...
 
thedelihaus said:
I've gotta say, I really love the looks of these. But I bet stock, the sound would be medeocre at best, eh?



Excellent! You read my mind! This is close to what I'd do with 'em if I ever got a pair!

One question- hows cab resonance on these?

The cab resonance is very low- I added a plate for the xovers that funtionas as brace work too. With a little imagination these came to life and are fun to listen to. I gave them t my brother in law as a gift for his rec room.
O do a fair amount of mod work like this, these Sony's were most exceptional in sound and unusual in looks. If I could find cabs like that again cheap enough I would build me a set for sure!
 
Back
Top Bottom