• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Craigslist score Altec 2878B's $50.00

Brad Muller

Super Member
Just picked up a pair of these for $50.00. The guy said he had several calls offering more cash, but held them for me. I think the woofers were 416B's, but I'll know more after I unload them and take a look. Pics to follow. Any info on these?:scratch2: Brad
 
Register to hide this ad
Sounds like a killer deal, congrats! :thmbsp: I'm not sure about 416-B, but if it's the same as 416-8B, it was the good one that matched the 511-B & 811-B horns. :smoke:
 
I thought you said in a post you weren't finding any good stuff lately?
Anyway, good find and he was a good guy to hold them for you.
 
Here's some quick pics. The drivers are 806-8A and the horns are H-811B's. I'll recheck the woofers after dinner. Brad
 

Attachments

  • DSCN2423.JPG
    DSCN2423.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN2424.JPG
    DSCN2424.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 135
Oh, you lucky dog, you got the whole package, and for $50. I'm pretty jealous, but still pretty happy for ya. :yes: Enjoy. :music:
 
What crossover is in them?

The drill on 806As is well documented here.... :yes:
 
should be an 801 Zilch, there's no mention of a comp network, many of the sytsems using 411-8A also were equipped with a comp/attenuator unit.
 
You were right about the woofers, 411-8A's. I could have asked for some more mighty Altecs, but these are my first pair. The back plates that hold the binding posts are missing, but for the $$$$, and out of the rear of a UHAUL, you get what you get.:yes: Brad
 
Actually Brad, that 411 woofer is pretty substantial with excellent LFE. Just my .02 here, but these are perfect candidates for modification. The 411 was really designed to only ever have to play up to 500hz, and IMO 806A on 811 was a poor compromise in that application.

I have 9846 monitors which use 411 woofers and 802 on 511 with a 500hz XO, they're pretty good, a departure from the typical altec sound but i think they could have taken them a full step further by using large format HF components for more authoritative performance at the 500hz XO point. Don't get me wrong, i think my 9846's sound very good, but i know those 802's are working near the edge of destruction at higher spl's.
 
Zilch, why do you need to switch polarity on one of the drivers, using an N1209-8A crossover? Something to do with the Zobel, or lack of, I guess? :scratch2:
 
Zilch, why do you need to switch polarity on one of the drivers, using an N1209-8A crossover? Something to do with the Zobel, or lack of, I guess? :scratch2:
There's two issues: the topology of the filters ("order," # of poles) versus time alignment. The HF driver is way further back than the woofer, and the optimum polarity compensates somewhat for the combination of both issues in any given alignment.

Push the "Inv" buttons above the HF out gains on your crossover to invert the polarity, and you'll instantly hear the difference.

[Yes, you can do that while they're playing.... :yes: ]

Edit: Unless I'm confused, Earl's information regarding the differences between the several crossovers discussed is in conflict with that on the Altec Forum and posted elsewhere here on AK. :dunno:
 
Thanks guys, the first order is to grab some foam and re-foam them. I'm sure after that, I'll have a few questions. They did power up fine on very low volume. Brad
 
Mm-hmm, somewhat understood. I decided to actually register, at that other place, & blamed you, Zilch. ;) Do they normally run their threads in reverse, or is that to confuse newbies? :D EDIT: I figured that out pretty easy, you just change viewing options in the user cp, lol. I don't remember seeing that default setup before.
 
I have 9849 monitors which use 411 woofers and 802 on 511 with a 500hz XO, they're pretty good, a departure from the typical altec sound but i think they could have taken them a full step further by using large format HF components for more authoritative performance at the 500hz XO point. Don't get me wrong, i think my 9849's sound very good, but i know those 802's are working near the edge of destruction at higher spl's.

Typo? Do you have 9846's - 9849's don't use a 511 nor 411 either...

If 9846's , I've got em' .. and love em'...
 
Typo? Do you have 9846's - 9849's don't use a 511 nor 411 either...

If 9846's , I've got em' .. and love em'...
Yep! you caught me sleepin on the keyboard, 9846's yes indeedee.:D

Agree with your sentiments too Punker.:thmbsp:

I think i lucked out in that i use them in a room that's ideal for them and helps exploit their LF abilities.

Pretty sure i'd be right with Zilch in wanting a different driver in a ported box if i had to use them in one of my other rooms.

My rather minor complaints all have to do with their presentation in the 450-800hz range.

My conclusion is best summed up by JKC in the 411 thread at LH
However I kind of like mine and keep them as part of a collection, just accept them for what they are and enjoy them.
 
Back
Top Bottom