• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Craigslist score Altec 2878B's $50.00

Nice score, 411 woofs have Altecs only 4" voice coils, everything else was 3", I guess the sealed cabinets and foam surrounds needed bigger coils?? :scratch2:
 
I wonder how they compare with JBL L300's or the speakers speakers in my avatar? Are the Altec's going to be more to my liking? The JBL's can wear you out if you listen for any extended time. I'll have some thinning to do for sure.:yes: Brad
 
Yep! you caught me sleepin on the keyboard, 9846's yes indeedee.:D

Agree with your sentiments too Punker.:thmbsp:

I think i lucked out in that i use them in a room that's ideal for them and helps exploit their LF abilities.

Pretty sure i'd be right with Zilch in wanting a different driver in a ported box if i had to use them in one of my other rooms.

My rather minor complaints all have to do with their presentation in the 450-800hz range.

My conclusion is best summed up by JKC in the 411 thread at LH

Was told by Great Plains not to use the 411 in a ported cabinet, will bottom out..

Wondering what you use for crossovers? I've got some stock, N501-8A's that I haven't tried yet. I built these with the PE/Eminence 500hz crossovers and then built my own 30904 compensation network. Used Dayton caps in the crossover and my build of the 30904.

Using a 802-8G with mine and feel 30904 isn't attenuating the HF enough to match the 411. Probably play with it a bit sometime and take a nother 3db off and see how it works. Since getting the 19's the 9846's have gone the the garage and are hooked to a Marantz 4300, eq'ing them with Marantz, they sound pretty special..

Attaching a scat I knabbed a while back of the 30904. Brad should ensure these are in the cabinet some where before hooking up a crossover. If not there, easy enough to build.
 

Attachments

  • Altec30904.jpg
    Altec30904.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 23
Was told by Great Plains not to use the 411 in a ported cabinet, will bottom out..
Agreed! 411 should only be operated in a SEALED box.

I'm just using the stock 501 and 30904, i spent an evening measuring caps to verify they were all good and have just left them alone as i have far too many projects underway. One thought i've had is to leave the 30904's(rebuilt of course) in place and try bi-amping.

A little bird told me that replacing the stock iron inductors with modern air cores can be a big improvement with these. I'm usually one for preserving stock iron in altec networks, but after i liquidate a room full of surplus audio junk, i'm going to get serious with a few pairs of Altecs that have been waiting too long, the 9846's being the first.

Pretty sure the santiago does not have the 30904 in them, i don't think the 806 driver has the sensitivity/headroom to make effective use of it.

Punker, have you tried a side by side or A/B comparison of the annular phased 802 and the radial phased 802-G?
 
Back
Top Bottom