• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nakamichi Dragon CT Turntable

dnewma04

The Healer
First, please excuse the horrid pics, I took these with very poor lighting in the room.

I picked up this turntable yesterday from a local CL ad. The seller was flooded with emails regarding the TT. I told him that if he wanted to honor the deal, that I would certainly buy them, but at the same time that I would understand if he wanted to take one of the offers he received. He said a deal was a deal, so I made plans to pick them up on the way to the SMAC meet at Squidward's place. Got to his house and found that the extremely dusty Nak was just about perfect under all the dust. Including all of the original documentation. The cartridge is a Klipsch MCZ-7 boron low output MC cart.

I talked audio with him for a while and he mentioned he had a Luxman C-300 and told me a little about his prior systems. The C-300 power cord was cut off because the dog chewed through it so I couldn't test, but cosmetically, it's a gem in a nice walnut enclosure.

Well, today, I finally had a chance to clean up (to some degree) and hook up the Nak and despite the low output, I can tell it's something special already. The record centering system is absolutely amazing. A record I know to be about 1/16" off center was shifted over and there was NO lateral movement in the cart, whatsoever. Additionally, it's an autoreturn turntable and just the epitome of easy to use. Tomorrow, I'm going to do my best to get the luxman power wire replaced so I can test the cart with a little more output.

Will report back later when I get more time listening, but if this thing proves to be reliable, it might be an oracle beater.

IMG_2090.jpg


IMG_2091.jpg


IMG_2088.jpg


IMG_2087.jpg


IMG_2086.jpg


IMG_2084.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Nak made some great cassette decks. You're going to have to let us know how good the TT sounds. It certainly looks quality.
 
Wow great find! That's a pretty rare unit, and it was not cheap in its day. Nak didn't sell many of those, presumably because direct Drive turntables were out of fassion in the 80s. It bears the "Dragon" designation because it featured auto-self-centering of records (like the Dragon Cassette deck did with azimuth).

I've never heard one, so I have no idea how it sounds. But it would be a god-send for those rare off-center records.
 
Wow! What a find.
Ya done good!

Isn't it great that their is still some honor among folks - " A deal is a deal"

Thanks for sharing the pics!
 
I've never heard one, so I have no idea how it sounds. But it would be a god-send for those rare off-center records.

Still too early for any definitive reviews, but what I can say for sure is that the centering feature is amazingly effective. I have one record that is a good 1/16th off center. On the Oracle, you can watch the arm move back and forth significantly. On the Dragon, it has NO lateral motion. It's just dead on and stays there. Funny to see the spindle going around in a 1/8" circle. :)
 
Thanks for the pictures of the Nakamichi Dragon CT turntable in the wild. ...sounds like an amazing turntable. Congratulations on the score.
 
That thing is cool! I've always been curious about it. Congratulations. Lookin' forward to hearing more about it.
 
The Klipsch cart is very interesting too! I wonder who the manufacturer is....
 
Very cool table. Always wanted one, but have never found one at the right price.

Before passing judgement on it's sound a cartridge change may be in order - the Klipsch's cantilever looks askew in the second photo.
 
Everyone except Jack, thanks for your comments.

Jack, don't you have a crossover to solder?

Nailer, you are right about the Klipsch, I took the pics before playing with it. The cantilever was bent slightly, although the photo seems to accentuate that. I have since "bent" if back into place without any apparent ill effects. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.
 
Thanks! I actually have that ad that came as part of the stack of documentation the original owner had kept.
 
Back
Top Bottom