• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nakamichi Dragon CT Turntable

I gotta find that rig that will outperform my ceedees! :)

Outperform your ceedees?

This one here should be all you need to achieve that:

fp820-player.jpg
 
[Fisher Price...] :lmao:

dnewma04, as for that Dragon TT, I'd be green with envy if I weren't so busy being happy for you. Great find! :thmbsp:
 
Wow! Beautiful TT, and rare. Cool cart.

Don't see much wrong with your pics.

Still waiting for stuff like that on CL around here....
 
...

Nailer, you are right about the Klipsch, I took the pics before playing with it. The cantilever was bent slightly, although the photo seems to accentuate that. I have since "bent" if back into place without any apparent ill effects. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

If it "bends" back, try aligning the cantilever by eye and then the cartridge will be aligned, although the body will be slightly crooked in the headshell. At least that's what I've done in the past.
 
Looks like the CD killer to me :) That cartridge with the right step-up should put all your CDs to rest. The Line Contact profile is amazing in it's ability to get below old wear patterns. BUT, it collects dirt pretty easily. It means CLEAN records and some way to clean it - especially the side profiles.

I'd get one of those Mr Clean pads and be REAL careful on how I did it. That cart is not going to be replaceable? If the rest of the system was dusty, you can bet it was not getting good house keeping, so the cart will have crud & grunge. Maybe get a 10x loupe so you can look at it closely.

Oh yeah, and the Luxman is cool too :)
 
Dammit, man...that is so cool you found a DRAGON-CT in good condition and it didn't cost you an arm and a leg!

Back in '83 while stationed in Germany, I had my choice of either a brand new Nakamichi DRAGON 3-head cassette deck, or a new DRAGON-CT computing turntable (IIRC the 'table was still considerably more than the autoreverse deck, even with my military discount). Since I had to have a cassette deck so I could record my LPs onto cassette (already owned a new Denon DP-62L 'table that I loved dearly), my choice was clear and I did not buy the CT.

Afterwards when I would shop at the Stuttgart PX, I'd eyeball the CT from time to time, thinking of ways of getting up the additional money to purchase it. At the time I was upgrading my existing Technics integrated amp with all new Carver seperates, plus their new CD player and FM tuner, and I just couldn't swing another major purchase on my sergeant's pay (I was only 21 and had no credit cards, so I saved and paid cash for everything). I didn't want to sell my Denon turntable, so I never bought the DRAGON-CT...sigh.

Last time I've seen one listed on AudiogoN a year or two ago, it was still more than I could afford used! Due to financial hardships that happened in '03 (and still struggling with today), I'm still really not in a position to buy one, and this rare 'table is definately harder to come by today than it was 24 years ago!

Regardless, looking forward to your future posts on this awesome turntable...
 
I think it is absolutely beautiful! Nice score! I would really like to see how the centering set up actually works? Sounds very cool! :thmbsp:

Don't worry about Jack, it's an inside joke between a few of us to pretend everyhting is the ugliest thing we've ever seen. It started because Jack is the ugliest thing i've ever seen.

I'm going to see what it would take to make a video of it and post it somewhere.
 
Amazing find! The build quality just looks amazing. You may want to contact The Vintage Knob with any documentation you have. It is listed under "The Vault" section, only for the most esoteric of esoterica...

Find of the year indeed!
 
Beautiful 'table!!! Excellent find.

One note, however. In the head-on photo of the cartridge it looks like the cantilever might be bent to the right. It might just be an optical illusion, but I'd check that out, if I were you.

Dave
 
I got the Luxman C-300 into the system tonight and initial impressions are getting better. I'm going to play around with this cart some more but what i notice so far is that it's a VERY quiet turntable. The C-300 needs a little cleaning with deoxit, but I can't find a single cosmetic flaw with it.
 
Damn it when ya gonna tell us how it sounds ?
 
Oh, as of right now, with a still slightly bent cantilever, the cart is the quietest cart I own, it's got a very open and detailed sound but is a bit bass shy. I'm going to play around with the alignment to see if i can account for the slight bend.
 
Back
Top Bottom