• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

King Crimson, in the court of...

cubby01

aka Buck
At the thrift I was shocked to find a copy of the first '69 US release of _In The Court of The Crimson King_ on Atlantic. The cover is a bit musty and frayed but still it's iconic at this point isn't it. The vinyl had no major scratches but ws quite dingy. Cleaned it up but still sounds like a bowl of rice crispies. Not sure if there's any more I can do with it....'cept keep my eye out for one of the 2004 remasters :music:
 
Register to hide this ad
One of those albums I played too much when I got it, haven't played mine in 30 years at least. Maybe it's time.


Carl
 
I sure would like to find an Island copy for a decent price. This is IMH(umble)O one of the best prog-rock albums of all time. A must have in an format. Send it to Meggy and see what you really have. The VPI treatment is a good one.

Rick
 
Stop it! You bastids... Tomorrow is my April trip to the record store and I'm not going to blow my entire budget on a 40 year old King Crimson record. I'm just not going to do it! I've spent hundreds of dollars on vinyl, then the first CD's, then the first correctly remastered CD's, then the definitive master 30th anniversary mini-lp Cd's, then the umpteen DGM Live downloads. Now I'm supposed to go back and buy the original vinyl?

Although I don't own a playable original copy... And they are one of my favorite groups... They're playing live shows again this year... Maybe if I buy the record it will rekindle the passion and then I'll call my best friend from high school and we can meet up at the Park West in Chicago for a show and party like it's 1984! Yeah that's the ticket, first stop at the record store: the King Crimson bin!
 
Crap! I can't find my copy, it's probably sitting next to the Wish You Were Here LP along with some others I haven't seen in awhile.
 
Although I love the music on that album and have a very clean original copy it has to be one of the most awful recordings ever made. I don't think there is a good version out there. Great music though.
 
Yeah, the Islands release sounds excellent on vinyl. The remastered CD is quite good too if you do not have a tuntable or can't find a clean Island copy on vinyl.
 
This last winter (right around Christmas) I was able to get all of the King Crimson albums one way or another for around $35. It was really weird. I don't see them at decent prices for years and then all 6 (that I know of). Most were VG, one was almost mint.

Now if I could find a really good copy of Genesis - Wind and Wuthering... I'd be a happy man.
 
One of those albums I played too much when I got it, haven't played mine in 30 years at least. Maybe it's time.


Carl

Carl is waiting for the Scandinavian version of it...with a bit more headbangin'!!!
 
I have a couple copies of it, the best one is a near-mint copy that came in a batch which have been from a "serious collector", judging from the titles and their condition. It shows up now and again in the used record shops, too.

I think it was popular enough not to be too rare, but finding an original release in really good shape is more of a challenge. Popular records also tend to be ones that get played a lot, and people playing that LP "back in the day" may have scratched them due to temporary issues with eye-hand coordination. :smoke: :D :D
 
The Atlantic version sounds fantastic and is way less rare than the pink label Island version (which, admittedly, is just a teeny tad better).

I am also a fan of the most recent remaster on CD, but the LP is just more "there."

I love this LP. "I Talk to the Wind" is an aural trip in the woods for me.

Ken
 
Two or three hundred bucks gets you a sealed MFSL. I must have 5 various copies now in seach of the elusive Near Mint, including a used noisy MFSL and my brother's '69 original). Still searching.
 
Carl is waiting for the Scandinavian version of it...with a bit more headbangin'!!!

Nah Jack, It was when I was 10th grade it came out. You had a copy and so did all your friends as well as FM so it was always being played no matter where you went.
Like DSOTM in 73...


Carl
 
Back
Top Bottom