• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Three Speaks

Zilch

Curve Junkie
Subscriber
Sunday fun at Zilchlab -- Baby Advent II, B&W DM305, and JBL Northridge E30:

attachment.php


Details:
 

Attachments

  • Rta.jpg
    Rta.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Baby II FR SIN.jpg
    Baby II FR SIN.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DM305 SIN.jpg
    DM305 SIN.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 36
  • JBL E30.jpg
    JBL E30.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 35
Register to hide this ad
Curious... What's with the precipitous drop at ~110-120Hz? Seems common to all of the speakers.
 
That's a room node at the mic position for that frequency, and the reason we do the nearfield bass response measurements shown in the individual curves. For those, the mic is placed 1/4" from the center of the dust dome or phase plug and port opening, swamping any room reflections.

Nearfield bass response reflects performance with one boundary of reinforcement, i.e., 2-Pi alignment, and thus exaggerates the low bass response somewhat if the speakers are to be used in freespace, i.e., away from boundaries, as the 1-Meter RTA and sinusoidal measurements are taken. By evaluating both, you can tell how the bass will sound in different alignments relative to the higher frequencies.

Here are the quasi-anechoic on-axis high frequency (above 200 Hz) measurements for the three:

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Mls.jpg
    Mls.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 141
I see. The green trace appeared, at first glance, just to be the LF response (I was assuming woofer+port combined).

When the Ultra Zeros are complete, I'm going to want to get them spec'd out. Too bad you're not closer! Mind taking a trip to Minnetundra?
 
I see. The green trace appeared, at first glance, just to be the LF response (I was assuming woofer+port combined).
The B&W (Green) appears to have the highest sensitivity overall in this group. :yes:

Specially designed to kill the JBL mid-bass hump?
Well, I (and Wiredbecker) have the advantage of also knowing which speaker sounds best.... :p:
 
Back
Top Bottom