• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TU-517 Lamp Replacement

jonclancy

Slowest DIYer ever!
I recently accquired a near-mint TU-517 that had 3 of the 4 original 8V, 300mA Stanley bulbs blown. It's common knowledge that original spec replacements are no longer available, so I decided to see if different style, but similar spec lamps could be used.

Luckily, I had some help from dgwojo who kindly sent me some 8V 250mA wedge-base lamps to see if they could be used. These replacement lamps are much taller than the original Stanleys, but can be made to fit using the following reversible mod. Be warned, it involves a bit of soldering.... :yes:
This mod can be applied to as many of the lamps as needed. I applied it to all 4 lamp positions. Although lamp clearance with the chassis lid is tight, the lid did not get particularly warm in my install, even after leaving the unit powered for some hours.

Please be careful following these instructions!!! If, after reading my notes below, and BEFORE you remove the chassis lid, you have any doubts as to what you are doing here, please get a qualified electrician to do this work. Don't risk damage to yourself or your tuner!!! :thmbsp:

1. Please unplug your tuner from the Mains/Line Supply and leave it for a few minutes before opening the lid. Nearby capacitors may still be charged, and may give you a shock if you are careless (but you'd have to be very careless doing this mod!!).

2. PLEASE UNPLUG YOUR TUNER FROM THE MAINS/LINE SUPPLY!

3. Open the lid by undoing the 4 crosshead screws on each side of the chassis, and carefully place out of harm's way.

4. Undo the 3 small crosshead screws that hold the white heatshield in place over the lamps.

5. Remove the blue lamp "shades", and the rubber Stanley lamp holders. This will leave 2 pcb lamp mounting-pins per lamp-position exposed.

6. This is a little tricky!! Get a short screwdriver and undo the 3 crosshead screws underneath the while lamp pcb mounting deck and release the lamp pcb. I needed a bit of manoeuvring here, and the screws were in pretty tight!! They will come loose, just make sure the screwdriver bit is the correct size, or you will risk stripping the screw heads..... :thumbsdn:

7. Make sure you're wearing your trousers/pants!!

8. Fire up the soldering iron.

9. Mark the position of and then desolder the black and white ac feed wires to the pcb.

10. Remove the pcb.

11. Desolder the lamp mounting-pins. Keep them in a safe place, should you wish to reverse this mod.

12. Take each of the new wedge lamps and straighten out the wire loops on the base.

13. Using fine cutters, cut the inboard wire where it is returned into the glass base. Don't cut the other wire, as you will ruin the lamp!! :scratch2: Straighten out the wires and trim off any stub left in the base where you used the cutters.

14. Mark and drill a 2mm mounting hole between each of the holes vacated by the lamp mounting-pins. The wedge lamp has a small glass "pip" on the base, and we are going to use the "pip" to hold the lamp in position and also reduce the overall height of the lamp installation. The small amount of height saved is pretty important here, IMHO.

15. Solder the new lamps in position.

16. Resolder the black and white ac feed wires to the pcb.

17. Refit the pcb and gently tighten all 3 screws from underneath. Nip the screws up - you may want to reverse this mod.

18. Refit the heatshield.

19. Refit the blue lamp "shades" UPSIDE DOWN. The bulb lugs on the inside of the shade, originally at the bottom, are designed to hold the shade in position on the Stanley bulb. Used inverted, the lugs will hold the new wedge bulb nicely in position vertically.

20. Replace the chassis lid. If you look carefully at the bulb clearance when you do this, you can see that there is about 5mm or so clearance from the bulb top to the chassis lid.

21. Power up and enjoy that vintage glow again!!!!

As I mentioned above, the chassis lid did not get particularly warm after performing this mod. I'm happy with the result, but I'm also looking into ac supplied LED solution as well (reverse paralleled LEDs to be precise, but need to do the reading!!).

Pics to follow......
 
Register to hide this ad
Some pictures.....

Here are some pics.......
 

Attachments

  • TU517a.JPG
    TU517a.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 212
  • TU517b.JPG
    TU517b.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 194
  • TU517c.JPG
    TU517c.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 202
  • TU517d.jpg
    TU517d.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 194
Neatly done Sir !

Pics are good too.

BTW Welcome to AK - another one from the UK is always welcome !

John
 
Thanks John,

I'm hoping to come up with a swap-out method, that requires much less work, over the next few weeks.

Happy New Year!

Jon
 
Thank you!

I have my with my Missus' AU-2900 upstairs, an AU-101 and and TU-217 (mule).

Should be lots of fun........ :yes:

Jon
 
Bulbs Lamps

Thanks for your comments! :thmbsp:

Here are some lamp pictures - measurements and specs to follow.........
 

Attachments

  • Wedge3.JPG
    Wedge3.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 82
  • Wedge2.JPG
    Wedge2.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Wedge1.JPG
    Wedge1.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 94
  • Stanley2.JPG
    Stanley2.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Stanley1.JPG
    Stanley1.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 99
Stanley:

8V 300mA (?)

Diameter: 10.2mm or 0.4"

Top to toe length: 12.3mm or 0.68"



Wedge:

8V 250mA

Diameter: 9.5mm or 0.38"

Top to toe length: 26mm or 1.02"

Balloon length: 17mm or 0.68"

Wedge base thickness: 2mm or 0.08" (hence the 2mm mounting hole drilled in the lamp pcb for the "pip".

Good luck to the lamp hunters out there!!!

Jon
 
Another way.....

Thanks, John for all the helpful information, measurements, and pictures.

Thanks out to dgwojo, also, the non de plus, in bulb merchants. You won't find better customer service, price, or helpfullness than Dave W..

For background: I was pointed towards this thread by Dave since he knew that the modern wedge bulbs, although electrically correct (8v., 250 ma.), are bigger than the obsolete Stanley bulbs. I had sold this tuner assuming that maybe one bulb was out and it would be a quick fix to drop in a replacement. Upon opening the case, I found three of the bulbs were out. I guess my eyes had grown accustomed to the dimmer illumination or they went bad while the tuner was in storage (unlikely). A replacement of bulbs was in order to insure the seller was getting what was offered.

The work-around I pursued: I'm loathe to be any more intrusive than needs be when repairing vintage stereo gear. Although I'm not really a purist, I respect the contingent that wishes to keep everything as stock as can be.
In this thinking, what I did was drill out the original rubber holders to accomodate the larger wedge bulbs. I used a freshly sharpened 11/32" bit. I don't have a really good work holder for my small drill press so i just held the rubber bulb mount while drilling. Be careful, folks. Attached below are pics of the drill setup. Because of the nature of drilling rubber, I drilled the rubber mounts from both sides to get as clean a hole as possible. I inserted the new wedge bulbs until the small pip was just proud of the holder. The bulb leads were then bent and inserted into the pin holes on the rubber mount.

After mounting the original holders and new bulbs, there results a difference of 1/8" of protrusion above the original dimension. Pics are attached. I used green shield condoms on the bulbs that Dave W. supplies. I've used them before and I know the quality of the illumination that results. It is really nice. I chose to reinstall the original color lenses for originality and they are transparent enough to offer a good result. Pics are below for the rest of the pertinent results. I found this way of work-around to be easy and less intrusive than modifying the lamp PCB. After running the lamps for a few hours, there is no buildup of heat on the chassis cover.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 122
Nice work there!!!

I like the use of the green condoms, as my original shades are mostly brittle and discoloured due to the heat.

I've been doing a little research, and will post my results in a few days. Hopefully, most of the options available to lamp replacers will end up in this thread.

Cheers

Jon
 
Is the TU-717 the same as the 517 when it comes to the lamp assembly? I have one lamp out, and would like to get it fixed.
 
Is the TU-717 the same as the 517 when it comes to the lamp assembly? I have one lamp out, and would like to get it fixed.

Yes they are along with many other Tuners. I need to replace some lamps in my TU-517. One is in the signal meter. I see pics of replacing all the dial lamps but none of the signals meters. I believe they are the same bulbs but I have not opened the case for the two meters.

I like the drilling the rubber base idea much better than doing a bunch of mods to my Tuner. On those green condoms, did Sansui Tuners look that green when new? From all the literature I have found, it seems they have a more yellowish look closer to how mine looks now. Do you think I could use the covers instead of the condoms with the drill out method because I do not want to completely change the look of my Tuner.

Dave referred me to this thread and seems like a cool dude. I also looked at those LED lamps on ebay but at $10 each plus $5 shipping that is $65 to replace the whole set. Does he offer discounts to AK members who buy a whole set? Maybe some other members who want to do a full set replacement could get together and we could do a group buy to get the cost down.
 
Drill method works great!

I used westends's drill method with dgwojo's bulbs and it worked perfectly. I did go a slightly different approach. I used a 5/16" bit instead of 11/32". I also reused the original covers instead of those green condoms. It takes a little wiggling but I was able to slide the covers on in the same position as with the stock bulbs. For now I have two new bulbs and two stock ones. They light up fine. The new ones seem a little brighter but I will wait until night time to see if it is noticeable. I figured if I can use the stock ones until they burn out it would be better. Anyway the mod is super easy. Thanks guys!
 
Here it is all lit up!

I went ahead and did the other two lamps and it looks sweet! I am so happy with how it looks now.

sansuilamps1.jpg
 
I went ahead and did the other two lamps and it looks sweet! I am so happy with how it looks now.

sansuilamps1.jpg



Tommy, that looks very sweet :) I will be doing the lamps on my TU-717 soon. I have the lamps from dgwojo and plan to get to work one of these weekends.
 
Back
Top Bottom