• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TU-517 Lamp Replacement

I went ahead and did the other two lamps and it looks sweet! I am so happy with how it looks now.

sansuilamps1.jpg

That reall came out sweet, excellent job, Dave. :D
 
Looks good, Tommy. I used the green condoms that Dave sells because I had some experience with them, previously and liked the color tone that they put out. The digital pic of the TU-517 that I posted does not really convey the true color. The pic shows a much greener image than what actually is present when using the green bulb condoms. The neat thing is: if you don't like the condoms, remove them. Here is a pic of a Kenwood tuner with green condoms and ambient light.
IMG_0046-1.jpg
 
Fast forward 2 years into the future

This is an old thread but I had to add my two cents worth.
I tried drilling out the old rubber lamp holder as mentioned earlier....and it didn't work too slick.:no:
Maybe my bits weren't sharp enough, or maybe the rubber was starting to get brittle, I'm not sure...but the rubber had a tendency to split as the bit worked it's way through. It seems that rubber doesn't drill worth a shite. I got to the third lampholder and the rubber almost split in half. On the last one I decided to experiment. I have a wood carving kit that I got for Christmas some years ago. Included in the kit are some exacto type knives that are fairly long and slender. I used one to carve out the hole instead of drilling it. It worked like a charm!
The rubber cut like butter. I was able to cut out a hole that was WAY better than any of my first three attempts with a drill bit.
I also used a dremel to shave the "lamp clip" nubs on the shades down enough that they fit snuggly over the new lamps (lamp courtesy of dgwojo of course).
So....the exacto knife / Dremel combo worked well. For me at least.:D
If anyone needs any tips on this feel free to PM me. Or if you didn't feel comfortable doing this yourself, I could probably do it for you.
 
Last edited:
This is an old thread but I had to add my two cents worth.
I tried drilling out the old rubber lamp holder as mentioned earlier....and it didn't work too slick.:no:
Maybe my bits weren't sharp enough, or maybe the rubber was starting to get brittle, I'm not sure...but the rubber had a tendency to split as the bit worked it's way through. It seems that rubber doesn't drill worth a shite. I got to the third lampholder and the rubber almost split in half. On the last one I decided to experiment. I have a wood carving kit that I got for Christmas some years ago. Included in the kit are some exacto type knives that are fairly long and slender. I used one to carve out the hole instead of drilling it. It worked like a charm!
The rubber cut like butter. I was able to cut out a hole that was WAY better than any of my first three attempts with a drill bit.
I also used a dremel to shave the "lamp clip" nubs on the shades down enough that they fit snuggly over the new lamps (lamp courtesy of dgwojo of course).
So....the exacto knife / Dremel combo worked well. For me at least.:D
If anyone needs any tips on this feel free to PM me. Or if you didn't feel comfortable doing this yourself, I could probably do it for you.

Nice of you to offer the help....
I did a mod to the TU 7900 tuner that uses the same unobtainium Stanleys...
I drilled up the PCB and used small brass nuts and bolts to attach the leads, as the ni-chrome wire on the lamps was a beaach to solder....condoms from djwojo and she's all lit up.:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom