• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Modern gear guys: what are you doing most of the time when your system is making mus

Modern gear guys: what are you doing most of the time when your system is making mus

  • My ass is glued to the dent in the carefully set-up listening chair and I’m just listening.

    Votes: 25 36.8%
  • I’m sitting in or near the sweet spot with my attention divided by a book, laptop or similar.

    Votes: 26 38.2%
  • My system is playing while I’m up doing other things.

    Votes: 17 25.0%

  • Total voters
    68

Brett a

~◦●○o0o○●◦~
I know this may be a difficult question to have only one answer for. I’m sure many here are doing a combination of each. But if you had to pick one as the most time spent, what would it be?

I suspect there are (at least) two camps here on AK. Those who have tweaked their speaker placement and listening chair, etc, through to the perfect centimeter of positioning, and those who enjoy music as a more whole space-filling, “it’s great wherever I sit, stand, or dance” experience. (Maybe we all do some of both.)

I was thinking yesterday that it would be interesting to compare these practices between those who go for vintage gear and those who have more modern set-ups. (And please, it’s not my intention to open any can of worms here. If you want to wade back into the vintage v. modern debate, there are plenty of old threads you can resurrect for that. ---The way I see it, we’re all friends here and it’s just a simple poll.

For me, when I have my modern system fired up, it’s definitely “ass glued to the listening chair”. For pleasant space-filling music, I prefer vintage.
If you want to vote in the “Vintage” version of this poll, it’s here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202876
 
Register to hide this ad
95% of the time I listen to music at home it is with my ass glued into the dent of my meticulously placed listening chair, usually in the dark. The other 5% is background when I'm doing housework.

When in my car I rarely listen to music, my radio is normally on KCBS to keep up with traffic and news.

When I fly I use CorePlayer Mobile on myTreo 755p and Shure E3 earphones to listen to uncompressed WMA.

Martin
 
My sweetspot is 3 cushions wide so I can sit on either side of couch or at my laptop I placed on a desk directly behind the couch by the RCM. I do sit at all times when I listen more because of disability then anything else.
I would be interested in seeing if guys on the modern side vs the vintage side are any different thinking both sides are gonna have members that do all sorts of things while the rig is fired up.
Oh and many times after reading album info on jacket, sleeve or jewel case I like to read the few audio rags I get or post on this and other forums and last watch sports with volume off.
 
The poll is flawed.. I do all of the above, and pretty much an even split.. Plus, half my gear is old, and half is new, but all in use at one time..
 
The poll is flawed.. I do all of the above, and pretty much an even split.. Plus, half my gear is old, and half is new, but all in use at one time..
Damn!! I figured there'd be guys like you.
Well, truth is, everything is flawed. We do our best with what's available.
:yes:
 
Whenever I'm listening to music on my system, I'm normally in front of my laptop doing coursework. My room (Uni dorms) isn't big enough to hold some gear worthy of an ass-dented listening position.

However, I also get up and do other things while it's playing too. And crank up some music everyone likes when we're getting ready to go out...those little Celestion F1's can put out a surprising amount of volume without complaining.
 
I have my set-up in the dorm room positioned such that my computer chair, the only chair in the room, is basically the sweet spot. I mainly use the computer as a source too, though I have a turntable with about 70 LP's, as well as an HD radio to pick up my college's station. That station usually plays nice Jazz, and occasionally throws in some alternative rock, and world music. So I am usually doing things on the PC while listening to the stereo, be they internet stuff, homework, or games.
 
I can't for the life of me imagine why the answer would be different for either one.

Exactly...

Sometimes I'm on the couch with a drink in my hand, enjoying the tunes...sometimes I'm walking around the apartment doing something else and want to stream a favorite radio station or something, or studying. Can't imagine how the type of gear makes any difference, I could do all of the above with either :)
 
If I have the option, music is playing at all times, no matter what I'm doing. My hybrid modern/vintage system is slowing growing to cover the entire house & grounds, plus I've upgraded my van's system and now even have a phone that quietly plays old jazz tunes from my hip when I'm without a system. Just about everything I'm doing these days is either creating music or accompanied by listening to music.

And I like it.

Best answer, given the poll's choices, would actually be evenly split between the three options.

je
 
So far, it’s (rounded up)

Modern
Ass glued: 54%
Sitting near: 29%
Up doing: 18%

Vintage:
Ass glued: 22%
Sitting near: 36%
Up doing: 43%


Interestingly inverted, ain’ it?
 
If my main system in the living room is on, ( a mixture of vintage and modern gear ) my butt is planted in the sweet spot critically listening and usually my wife sits and listens with me while she surfs the internet on her laptop.
When friends are over, sometimes they will listen somewhat critically but sometimes it becomes background music and I may flip off the tubes and power up the HT receiver for that. It's all good though! :yes:
 
I have my modern gear setup parallel to my vintage, so the same chair is the sweetspot...but I dont believe in staying in the sweetspot all the time...I let my kid sit there, the wife, the cat, and I sit somewhere else and enjoy the tunes in their company. If alone, yeah, I will hog that chair.
 
So far, it’s (rounded up)

Modern
Ass glued: 54%
Sitting near: 29%
Up doing: 18%

Vintage:
Ass glued: 22%
Sitting near: 36%
Up doing: 43%


Interestingly inverted, ain’ it?

The phrase "ass glued" just sounds wrong :scratch2::banana:
 
Back
Top Bottom