• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Modern gear guys: what are you doing most of the time when your system is making mus

Modern gear guys: what are you doing most of the time when your system is making mus

  • My ass is glued to the dent in the carefully set-up listening chair and I’m just listening.

    Votes: 25 36.8%
  • I’m sitting in or near the sweet spot with my attention divided by a book, laptop or similar.

    Votes: 26 38.2%
  • My system is playing while I’m up doing other things.

    Votes: 17 25.0%

  • Total voters
    68
Sweet spot sometimes but usually doing other stuff. I'm listening with headphones pretty often. Vintage, new. Doesn't matter as long as the sound is halfway decent and the music is good. I'm happy doing anything. Because at the heart of all of this. The glue of all of this is music and the enjoyment of it no matter what.
 
I've mostly been listening to Vinyl with headphones, and whilst doing this I lay on the floor most of the time and just let the music take me away.
 
So far, it’s (rounded up)

Modern
Ass glued: 54%
Sitting near: 29%
Up doing: 18%

Vintage:
Ass glued: 22%
Sitting near: 36%
Up doing: 43%


Interestingly inverted, ain’ it?

Maybe we vintage enthusiasts are up doing/tinkering with some part of our system that is misbehaving because its...old. :D
 
What in Hell does the vintage of one's system have to do with the question? I suspect there are listeners in all three catagories regardless of the vintage of their systems.

Me, I prefer sitting in the sweet spot. My speakers are laser sighted and I'm essentially lazy. I have to get up often enough when playing LP's. Having most of my CD's transferred to my music server helps my laziness.

Hmmm! I wonder if I should get a small fridge to keep liquids cold next to my chair.
 
This is a tough one for me because I have both modern and vintage systems and 50% of the time I am in my listening position and just listening, doing nothing else. The other 50% of the time I am sitting in the sweet spot listening but with divided attention on the computer. This goes for both systems.
 
I can vote in this poll :D

I'll just quote myself from the other poll:

Didn't vote in the poll because I'm not a vintage guy. For CDs I most certainly do the ass-dent thing. I'll do the ass-dent thing sometimes when I'm listening to FM however I don't think something like NPR is exactly sweet-spot dependent.

I also clock a lot of headphone time which I would consider critical listening but is not covered by OP's poll.
 
Working from my home office/study or reading, studying, researching (via hard copy texts/publications and online sources), writing, or browsing online most of the time (70 to 80%); but will also sit right in my sweet spot and just listen when I feel like it the other 20 to 30% of the time.

Either way, I have music on most all the time when I'm home, either on my main in my office/study or 2nd/3rd systems where my gf and I will listen together (usually when doing other things like cooking/cleaning/other chores/light reading/etc). :music:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom