• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher TA-500 w/5881s

TheRed1

Console Conservationist
I finally found a Fisher TA-500. It's a later model with 5881 output tubes, one of which I am missing. It's also missing 1 knob. (Replacement source?) Otherwise it's in fair condition but it has a wood case unlike others I have seen.

I didn't realize that there were so many versions of this model. I believe the earliest models had EL37s which were replaced by EL34s when they became available. Then came the 5881 model which you see here - serial no. 54087 or 154087, it's hard to tell. (That's my TA-500 timeline theory anyway - based on comparing notes with a few other mono 500 owners and looking at the histories of the tubes themselves.)
TA-500.jpg

DSCF1793.jpg


Unfortunately, the schematics I have seen available are for the earlier versions and this one appears significantly different. I sat down last night and compared mine to the EL37 version schematic on Tom Bavis' website and noted a number of differences besides the obvious capacitor and resistor value differences. I hope I can find the right one because I don't have the skill to draw one based on what I see.

It has a blown fuse and, as you can see; I have quite a bit of work to do before attempting to bring it up. Here are the output tube sockets from underneath to illustrate some of the thermal issues this old receiver has suffered: (Note the scorched resistors between pins 4 & 6; also the white capacitor with the brown spot on its left, labeled AP 47 20%. It's connected to the yellow wires on the left - one of which is the 16 ohm transformer secondary tap. I thought for sure that must be coupling cap but it appears to be a part of the feedback loop. There's also a .02 capacitor (bottom middle) connected between the AF amp and phase inverter halves of the 12AX7 [I think] that appears to have melted around the insulation on a resistor lead.)

BestOutputTubeSocketPic.jpg


Another thing that caught my eye was the unused pot in the volume control stack (lower right-hand corner). This relates back to another post I did on the 1959 Fisher Ambassador II console in which a TA-500 is used in conjunction with a 30C and a 30A to produce an awkward stereo console. Fisher had your back in case the industry went stereo. I believe it was called the TK-5 modification.

SelectorVolume.jpg


Bird's eye views:

DSCF1796.jpg

UnderChassis.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
On the model 500 schematic that I have (SAMs) the outputs are labled KT66/EL34
I also have a chassis photo of serial # 30426H that is very clearly labled EL-37
WOT
 
Last edited:
Very nice, congrats! :thmbsp: Hey, what do you replace those Good-Alls with? I just found a bunch of em in a h/k integrated.
 
Last edited:
The 5881 and the JAN-CTL-6L6WGB are the same tube. I have some Tung-Sols that have 5881 on the glass and 6L6WGB on the base.

Is the version on Tom's site the same as the Sam's version on the yahoo Fisher site?

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sP_YSb...9UWw2Zize2nZNLbwn5i_/Fisher 500 Photofact.pdf

The KT66/EL37/5881-6L6WGB are all fairly similar 6L6 type tubes. The differences shouldn't be too great and if you go ahead and replace the components with values that are already in your 500 you should be set. It looks as though your Fisher 500 has never been touched. With a matching knob it will look close to mint with the case on! Beauty!

Cheers

Lar
 
Last edited:
Just noticed a mistake on the Sams at the yahoo fisher group.

On the schematic and in the parts list they have KT66/EL34 listed which are not drop in replacements for one another. Oddly in the chassis top view picture they say KT66/EL37 which makes much more sense.

Not the first mistake I've seen in a Sams.

The original specs and operating instructions can be found here:

http://homepage.mac.com/urbanradio/Vintage.HiFi/Fisher_TA-500.htm

Cheers

Lar
 
Last edited:
Took a quick peek at mine. Serial # 42,9XX. EL-37's.

Fisher supplied an optional OEM cabinet, and there were other aftermarket suppliers. I'm guessing your cabinet was a DIY. Haven't seen one like it before. Is there a label on the bottom?
 
On the model 500 schematic that I have (SAMs) the outputs are labled KT66/EL34.
I also have a chassis photo of serial # 30426H that is very clearly labled EL-37
WOT
That's the same schematic that everyone seems to have. AK member Spartanmanor has an owner's manual for the EL37 version which he kindly posted here with the handwritten date of Feb. 4, 1954 (or 1959?) and what appears to be serial # 20395-F. 1954 would make sense since that is the lowest serial # I have seen. That also jives with the National Valve Museum's claim that the EL37 was made obsolete in 1954 by the EL34. I have also read undocumented claims that the TA-500 debuted in 1954. However, the earliest ad I have seen for it is from 1957. AK member Tubetone has both an EL37 version and a 5881 version with serial #s 43166 and 59780 (or possibly 159780) respectively.

The EL37 version looks to have enjoyed a rather lengthy production run. And despite the existence of the EL34 schematic, I have yet to run across anyone who actually owns one. Do they really exist?
 
Last edited:
Just noticed a mistake on the Sams at the yahoo fisher group.

On the schematic and in the parts list they have KT66/EL34 listed which are not drop in replacements for one another. Oddly in the chassis top view picture they say KT66/EL37 which makes much more sense.

Not the first mistake I've seen in a Sams.
Yeah. That makes me very suspicious that there never was an EL34 version and Fisher went straight to the 5881 after the EL37.

Thank you very much for the link to the complete Sams folder. I've been working with just that flawed KT66/EL34 schematic thus far.
 
Took a quick peek at mine. Serial # 42,9XX. EL-37's.

Fisher supplied an optional OEM cabinet, and there were other aftermarket suppliers. I'm guessing your cabinet was a DIY. Haven't seen one like it before. Is there a label on the bottom?
No. No evidence of one ever having been there, either. And, unlike Fisher's OEMs, it's finished on the bottom. You're probably right that it was a DIY - simple design, very tight joints, no label.
 
Yeah. That makes me very suspicious that there never was an EL34 version and Fisher went straight to the 5881 after the EL37.

Thank you very much for the link to the complete Sams folder. I've been working with just that flawed KT66/EL34 schematic thus far.

No prob.

After seeing the Sams with the EL34/EL37 error it makes me think you're right about there never having been a EL34 version. What seems to be the case is that they were all 6L6 type amps but that they went with the 6L6 tube variety they were able to source most easily and affordably at the time the different versions came out. I'd bet that a KT66 Gold Lion reissue tube would sound great in there.

Cheers

Lar
 
Missing Knob/TA-500

I actually have a spare knob for your bass/treble control. When the on/off switch went on my 500 many years ago, I bought a non-working parts unit at a swap meet just for the switch. I'll email you photos of the knob, if you're interested.

Ivan
 
Forgive my ignorance, but how does the serial number sequencing work on the TA-500? My 500 looks like it has a serial number of 2055 G, while my aforementioned parts unit is #153532. The 2055 G unit was actually purchased by my grandfather in the 50s and has the EL37 tubes; my parts unit has the 5881 tubes.
 
Reviving a dead thread here.
Are the 500 listeners all listening on one speaker?
I am now but how can I hook up two speakers and not overload the unit or cut the output?
 
Sure. If you have (for example) two 8 ohm speakers you would like to hook up, connect them both to the Com and 4 ohm tap -- because two 8 ohm speakers connected in parallel represent a 4 ohm load.

Dave
 

Did not want to bring an old thread up, but I will because of the pictures in it.

I just got one of these receivers from a local sale yesterday. Same chassis with the 5881 outputs.

What is the value of that cap just south of the tuning cap box?

I made a list of caps to buy, but forgot that one and have already buttoned up the unit.

Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom