• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My new bass cabs (pics)

djnagle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well, I have my new-to-me JBL 4530 scoop bass cabs set up in my space and am just blown away by the tight bass. I couple folks said I'd need a sub, but I am starting to wonder. The bass goes very low....at least for me. The cabs are built of 13 ply Baltic bearch and are VERY WELL CONSTRUCTED. They are not JBL made, but that are exactly to spec. There are a couple of nail pops that are not noticable unless you really look. The Edgarhorns with the JBL 2441 (w/radian diaphragms) and Heils are seemless on the cab, top to bottom. The imaging, dynamics, and clarity are outstanding. I am very impressed overall. Each cab weights twice as much as my Jensen Imperals and are so much more beautiful.

My room is 20' wide X 30' deep and the speaker face are 14' from my nose. The ceiling is accoustic tile, carpet floor, cloth furnature, and cloth drapes. At the end of the room, it turns left into the living room and when the weather is hot I can open up four sliding glass doors, so winter or summer, the bass has somewhere to go. If any of you are in the S.E. Michigan area, you are welcome to stop by for a listen. Cheers and thanks for your help.

P.S., I stuck the JBL 136a in for the time being. If they sound this good, I can't wait to get the 2225s in. In the third pic you can see my old tenis shoes holding up the 2441s. That was fine with the old IMPS, but now I have to make a stand that matches the cabs.

IMG_3520.jpg


IMG_3521.jpg


IMG_3522.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Very nice! Those look awesome and I`m sure thay sound good as well. I like the Heils on the tops. :thmbsp:
 
You are right Terry, but the 136a are not mine and the cab is designed around the JBL2205 or 2225. So, when I have to buy my own drivers I will go with one of those.

Newman, more managable and much tighter bass. There is only two songs that I've listened to that I know there are notes I am not hearing.
 
Be careful of overexcursion on the 136 drivers in the scoop.

What amplification are you using, tube or SS?

Ron
 
Be careful of overexcursion on the 136 drivers in the scoop.



Ron


Same here :yes: But I think you have heck of a start going on here!
I might look over at the "heritage" site to see what the possibilities and pitfalls are.Got a few Pro drivers put away for an upcoming special project,so I enjoy seeing and hearing about these:yes: I'm gonna have to brush up on some of the woofers and their applications. I've been concentrating on the tube amps lately...you got me curious about the speakers again.
 
On the bass I am using a pair of PP 807 tube amps from Terry. overexcursion??? I never thought of that. Thanks.
 
Interesting think happened tonight....I got USE TO these speakers. That is to say my mind adjusted to their tone, sound, speed....what ever. What sounded disjointed last night, sounds focused tonight. This must be psyco-accoustics ah?
 
Nope totally sober. I've been laying off employees of one of the big three all day. The last thing I need is a drink.

Thanks U.

Cosmos is taking his 136a back later this week, or next, and leaving behind a pair of JBL 2225s. That is the right driver for this cab so it should sound better.
 
Hi K, yep, some have done that, but the cab has to be modded to accept the deeper drivers. You cut a hole in the fist baffle behind the driver to fit the back of the Altec 604 or whatever, then ensure that there is a good felt seal around the hole..
 
Back
Top Bottom