• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My new bass cabs (pics)

Thanks All. Last night was my jazz night. Tonight it is classical. It seems that what ever I play, they sound great. I've read on other forums that the low volume bass output is not good, but even at low volumes, I am getting solid and VERY detailed bass. They look so good that now I have to FINALLY finish the mid horns.
 
Thanks All. Last night was my jazz night. Tonight it is classical. It seems that what ever I play, they sound great. I've read on other forums that the low volume bass output is not good, but even at low volumes, I am getting solid and VERY detailed bass. They look so good that now I have to FINALLY finish the mid horns.


I think that the definition "low bass" differs quite a bit depending on who you are talking to. I know for a fact that many don't even consider my JBL B380 a subwoofer.

RC
 
Thanks for the link. That's a cool design.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 4530.jpg
    4530.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 61
Strong resemblance in design to Tannoy GRF-R

Thanks for the link. That's a cool design.

attachment.php

Strong resemblance to Tannoy GRF-R, but the Tannoy starts smaller/shallower... or maybe the internal volumes are more similar than it appears from the side because the Tannoy is a little wider at 23.5" outside, a little taller at 42"? The Tannoy appears to have a little LONGER development there... smaller mouth, longer horn...

211520295_RdXxr-L.gif


That one is designed with a 6.5" hole in the first baffle to accomodate Tannoy Gold magnet.

I do not think there is a coaxial out there with an upper-mid to high end to compare with an Edgar 350hz tractrix + JBL 2441.
 
Last edited:
I think that the definition "low bass" differs quite a bit depending on who you are talking to. I know for a fact that many don't even consider my JBL B380 a subwoofer.

RC

This is true. My definition of low bass is extension into the teens. 40-50hz, in my mind, is decidedly not low bass but to some, it is.
 
This is true. My definition of low bass is extension into the teens. 40-50hz, in my mind, is decidedly not low bass but to some, it is.

With some music, I appreciate LF in the 30- range but other times I just find it distracting. You have emphasized the importance of placement and prefer multiple subs. Many set-ups I have listened to have taken neither into account :D Maybe thats why I have never really taken to the Low,low bass thing.

RC
 
With some music, I appreciate LF in the 30- range but other times I just find it distracting. You have emphasized the importance of placement and prefer multiple subs. Many set-ups I have listened to have taken neither into account :D Maybe thats why I have never really taken to the Low,low bass thing.

RC
I am with you on that one too....to me it sounds too artificial at anything lower than the 30 range.....
 
I suppose it also depends to some degree on what you listen to. I can understand why bass would sound unnatural if things weren't set up correctly. If everything is set up well, 20hz wouldn't be played unless it was present in the music.
 
I suppose it also depends to some degree on what you listen to. I can understand why bass would sound unnatural if things weren't set up correctly. If everything is set up well, 20hz wouldn't be played unless it was present in the music.

Of course.

RC
 
thanks Ski.

I am new to the sub thing but I've heard very expensive subs that sounded like crap. The one that comes to mine was a set up of a friend of mine and because he dropped 2K on his sub, he had it turned up to the point that it over powered every thing else. It shoud be a seemless extention of the midbass.....IMHO.
 
thanks Ski.

I am new to the sub thing but I've heard very expensive subs that sounded like crap. The one that comes to mine was a set up of a friend of mine and because he dropped 2K on his sub, he had it turned up to the point that it over powered every thing else. It shoud be a seemless extention of the midbass.....IMHO.

Short of room/acoustic treatment, proper balance takes:

1) Room placement experimentation
2) Intelligent use of gain and EQ
 
I hope I don't have to move these around to get them right as I now, with the smaller cabs, have room to put two book shelves next to them for my LPs and such.

I wonder how a stack of four cheap powered subs in each corner would sound??? I really need to get some sleep. Cheers.
 
After listening for a couple days, I don't think I will bother with a sub......unless the $$$ really starts to flow again. I do not miss any low signals except for two songs that I remember having one tone I can't hear. That may all change when I get the 2225s in the cabs but for right now, I am satisfied.
 
Back
Top Bottom