• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone use the J.A. MICHELL RECORD CLAMP

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have ordered a J.A. MICHELL RECORD CLAMP, Anyone have one. I like the fact it is light weight & clamps to the spindle. I am concerned about excessive wear on the spindle bearing. Let me know what you think. :thumbsdn: or :thmbsp:
 
Register to hide this ad
I've had one for many years and really like it. Being lightweight I don't think there will be any additional bearing wear.
 
I use one on my Sota Moonbeam. I have another I use on my Mico Seiki MB-14. Works great for holding record flat to platter. :thmbsp:
 
Had mine about 2 years , the R version for shorter spindle shafts . It also is used on my diy RCM system in order for me to spin the lp by hand , so it get's lots of work . Flattens out those concave records nicely !
 
I too have one I got from a fellow AK`er and I like it alot! Works quite well and is nice and light.
 
Glad to hear that. When I said I was concerned about excessive wear on the spindle bearing I meant those that use heavy weight to flatten the record.
 
I have one collecting dust somewhere. It works on my TT2 fine I just don't bother. Fine product though.
marc mc
 
I'm guessing with a Dual (Specifically 1215) one can't use the Michell? I'm thinking light weights would be the only option?
 
Got it today. Cool!

Received my clamp today. Works good & looks cool.
 

Attachments

  • P3130076.jpg
    P3130076.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 131
Use with a Dual.

I'm guessing with a Dual (Specifically 1215) one can't use the Michell? I'm thinking light weights would be the only option?

I tried it with a Dual 1229 I have. Worked fine. I got mine off ebay. The dealer sells 3 kinds, 2 for taller spindles & 1 for shorter spindles ( marked with a "R" for Rega TT). I have the one listed as a Special Black Clamp. There is one listed for tall spindles that has a silver center lock knob.
 
Last edited:
Great piece of kit! Came as standard on my GyroDec but if I ever buy another TT I'll most certainly have one on that.
 
Received my clamp today. Works good & looks cool.

I'm using the same one on the same table (TD-320). Works great for flattening out warped records without overloading the suspension or the belt.

I see your upper bearing cap is missing too.
 
doesn't look like the the R version work on my 1200 with the KAB super mat? there isn't much spindle there with the 1/4" thick rubber mat, but i don't want to loose the mat.

i just measured, and there is only about 4mm of UNTAPERED spindle there, too close for me.
 
Last edited:
Check out the KAB clamp.

doesn't look like the the R version work on my 1200 with the KAB super mat? there isn't much spindle there with the 1/4" thick rubber mat, but i don't want to loose the mat.

i just measured, and there is only about 4mm of UNTAPERED spindle there, too close for me.

KAB also sells one. It's not a looker as the Michell clamp, but it does have a bubble level built into the top.
 
Bumping old thread. I am going to lok into the Michell and KAB clamps. Who sells the Michell clamps at a good price?
 
Can't see how it would work on a Dual 12XX series being that the short spindle is not fixed. I modified mine by cutting out a inner circle piece form a thin mouse pad for damping and better contact.
 
Back
Top Bottom