• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recently picked up a 1960s Barzilay. 3 pc unit. Garrard Type A, Scott LK-72, LT-110

reklov

New Member
IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

This unit has original JBLs in the two side that are separate from the main section.

Update 07/032010
----
Opened up the speaker cabinet. JBL D130 speakers from Jan 1962
------------

It also has a reel to reel with a mic. that pulls out. Im not sure what brand it is.
I dont think these are the original equipment. I'd be interested in trying to find out what was the original equip or get some feedback on these pieces. The garrard works well. It needs some rubber on the piece that holds down the vinyl and a 45 adapter, but other than that, i works well.

The LK-72 seems to work fine, I wouldnt mind getting these tuned up, but I need to find a shop here in Orange County, ca

The LT-110 powers up but doesnt put out any sound.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Wow! That is a really great system you have, and what a great first post to AK.

You may already know this, but Barzilay was a big name in audio furniture back in the 60s and 70, maybe more years, I can't recall the whole history at the moment. They were sold to customers who often loaded them with the equipment of their choice, so the equipment in your cabinets could be the originals. What makes you think that they may not be?

Have you had the backs of the speaker cabinets off yet, to see what JBL drivers are in them?

I am sure somebody in your neck of the woods will be along momentarily to recommend some audio techs to take your new gear to.

Again, congratulations on a beautiful stereo system.

PS What are the knobs underneath the turntable for?
 
Pull the reel deck out and someone here can identify it.

That's a beautiful Barzilay setup, and the first I've seen with the speakers built-in.

Barzilay just made the furniture, the equipment installed was to the customer's specifications. Everything there looks to be from the approximately correct timeframe, so I would guess that it was set up that way from the start.
 
That's an Ampex R2R deck. No need to pull out :P

That looks original, the time frame is certainly right.

You can color me envious.
 
Absolutely gorgeous!

When you look at a piece like that, you can completely understand why people back then wanted them.

Doug
 
Thanks for all the input. I didn't realize that it was pretty much plug and play for the equipment. That is really cool. It is a really nice piece. I haven't had a chance to look at the speakers more, but I bought it from a vintage store around here that is really reputable for their stuff.

Looks like it's probably an Ampex 1260
 
Last edited:
One downside i've noticed is the LK-72 gets really hot and the wood up top as well. Is there a way to cool it down? I cant have anything on top where the amp is or it will dry out and damage the wood.
 
Tube amps tend to run rather hot. Make sure all of the components are in spec - the amp and tuner should have a complete recap, at the very least. If it's still running too hot, you could add a fan to the cabinet. It wasn't unheard of back then, I have a NOS cabinet fan from the tube era.
 
IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG


This unit has original JBLs in the two side that are separate from the main section.
It also has a reel to reel with a mic. that pulls out. Im not sure what brand it is.
I dont think these are the original equipment. I'd be interested in trying to find out what was the original equip or get some feedback on these pieces. The garrard works well. It needs some rubber on the piece that holds down the vinyl and a 45 adapter, but other than that, i works well.

The LK-72 seems to work fine, I wouldnt mind getting these tuned up, but I need to find a shop here in Orange County, ca

The LT-110 powers up but doesnt put out any sound.

You know you have several GEMS in the GEM cab right?
The amp is worth a VERY PRETTY PENNY. Suggest you get a professional upgrade on the tube gear.

It is definelty a good'un and the setup is rare as hens teeth.. my bet $1.5K is a good pre restoration price for that... maybe and probably more ....SUPER nice find.

Cheers,

Bob
 
Let's not get carried away, Bob. The Scotts can be found all day for 5 to six bills, the Ampex is nice, the TT is common. It can be a chore to find someone who wants to shell out that kind of clamshells and then start the restorations.

The rarity is to find all of it together, in a gorgeous console. :thmbsp:
 
Let's not get carried away, Bob. The Scotts can be found all day for 5 to six bills, the Ampex is nice, the TT is common. It can be a chore to find someone who wants to shell out that kind of clamshells and then start the restorations.

The rarity is to find all of it together, in a gorgeous console. :thmbsp:

5-6 bills for the amp - not counting the cab and the tuner ... sure all day.

Cheers,

Bob
 
Thats a sweety.
Looks Similiar to mine except mine sits without legs and has a Scott 355. Same wood, appearance and slide away front but my arrangement and speaker grills are different. My speaker grills pull back to reveal the tube monoblocks on each side.

Get those Scott Pieces rebuilt, put in a quality TT and you will have a forever stereo console. Everyone that comes to my house comments on my Barzilay.

Yeah Yeah Barzilay :banana: :banana:

I must credit AK'r "Highping" for steering me to it early last year. Thanks Again Ping!!:thmbsp:


..
 
Last edited:
Thats a sweety.
Looks Similiar to mine except mine sits without legs and has a Scott 355. Same wood, appearance and slide away front but my arrangement and speaker grills are different. My speaker grills pull back to reveal the tube monoblocks on each side.

Get those Scott Pieces rebuilt, put in a quality TT and you will have a forever stereo console. Everyone that comes to my house comments on my Barzilay.

Yeah Yeah Barzilay :banana: :banana:

I must credit AK'r "Highping" for steering me to it early last year. Thanks Again Ping!!:thmbsp:


..


I'm trying to learn the lingo. TT tubes? Anyone know how much it generally runs to get something like the amp rebuilt?
 
Back
Top Bottom