• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recently picked up a 1960s Barzilay. 3 pc unit. Garrard Type A, Scott LK-72, LT-110

TT is a turntable.

Tubes are vacuum tubes, also known as electron valves. Precursor to the transistor (more like a side track of evolution...), look like weird light bulbs.
 
TT is a turntable.

Tubes are vacuum tubes, also known as electron valves. Precursor to the transistor (more like a side track of evolution...), look like weird light bulbs.

Ah, yeah... I guess I did know TT. I just wasnt thinking about it because of the amp talk.

What is wrong with the Garrard Type A? I think the thing has character the way it loads and what not.
 
Nothing is wrong with the Garrard, it's a decent TT for it's day and the fact that it's a changer. Changers are rather looked down upon in the audiophile world, so it's not as desirable as some other tables from the same era. Garrard made a boatload of them, too.

Welcome to the Barzilay Owner's Club!
 
Definately one of the nicest Barzilay set-ups I have seen, nice pickup.. I think the aesthetics of the Scott equip sets it off, for me anyhow.

Type 'A' is standard fare for the mid-higher end consoles of the day. Nothing wrong with them but there are better. Actually I think I have at least 1/2 a boatload myself :D

Would love to see a pic of inside the speaker cabinents.
 
Last edited:
Welcome ot the Barzilay club. The system was not inexpensive at the time it was new. The Scotts, I believe were kits and I'd suggest getting them gone through before using too much as the caps probably are out of spec and quality of kit builders is at best variable but it can take some years before things like cold solder joints become problematic.
 
Check out the cartridge on the tonearm and either photograph it or describe it to us. And see if you can't get us info on the speaker drivers.

That's one of the most awesome consoles I've ever seen.
 
On second look......It may be cooler than mine..............:dammit: :D

I'd like to have my TT in a well. Mine was on a slider tray, Type A Garrard, same as yours. I turned the slider table into a drawer and moved it to the top to function as a regular drawer for my TT accesories for the TT that now sits on top.

Those were good tables in their day. but that day is gone. I can almost guarantee it wont like to start up and spin by itself. Its full of hard grease.
Replaced with a more modern TT would be the best answer from MPOV.

It may have a nice cart on it though.

And what about them speakers ? ? ? ? ?




..
 
Wow!
That is one nice system. That was an ultra high dollar system when it was new. It was made back when decor was as important as sound and that baby screams late 50's early 60's.. I love it!.
Do you have an antenna hooked to the LT110? i know it's kind of an obvious thing, but the tuner will not pull anything in unless you live next door to a station or have an antenna connected to it. Look on the back of the tuner and you will see the screw terminals for the antenna. If there is one, then the tuner may have a bad tube. If the tubes are good, then it will need service.
The LK72 would benefit from a refurb. Don't know anyone in your area that does that. If you can't find anyone locally you can contact me privately and I can help you out with it.

I would keep that whole system intact.. Looks like you also have an Ampex tape deck in there as well. This system is a real time capsule. Absolutely beautiful!
 
On second look......It may be cooler than mine..............:dammit: :D

I'd like to have my TT in a well. Mine was on a slider tray, Type A Garrard, same as yours. I turned the slider table into a drawer and moved it to the top to function as a regular drawer for my TT accesories for the TT that now sits on top.

Those were good tables in their day. but that day is gone. I can almost guarantee it wont like to start up and spin by itself. Its full of hard grease.
Replaced with a more modern TT would be the best answer from MPOV.

It may have a nice cart on it though.

And what about them speakers ? ? ? ? ?




..

I plan on messing with the speakers in another day or so. i have to figure out how to take the front grills off without damaging it. I figure there are four pegs that pop out around the edges.

The Garrard runs just fine. It even kicks it down correctly from the loader. Ive been using it, just not too much since I really want to get the system checked out before I use it too much. The speakers are really loud. I can crank it less than a 1/4 on the volume control and it is really loud.
 
As PD said, there is probably a hardware store's worth of screws holding the back of the cabinets on.
 
Ugh. So I was playing a record today and all of the sudden the audio stops. Not sure if it's the amp or the turntable. Really bummed, cuz we were gonna have an exotica music 4th of july. All i hear on the record is the music fade out. I thought my lady turned it off, but she was in the other room. Would that be a tube that went bad or would it be the TT?
 
i would unplug it and not plug it back in untill that amplifier has been serviced. far to nice of a unit to junk.
 
If you're lucky, you blew a fuse (do to age concerns) or have some weak tubes.

A fadeout of sound after warmup is a symptom of bad tubes if it will do it again after it cools down. There will still be juice on the chassis though.
Blown fuse and there will of course be no juice on the chassis.

Other than that. Sorry.


..
 
Fadeout will also occur when a tube fails, or when a coupling capacitor gets leaky to the point that it pushes the grid bias so high that it can't vary the signal in the tube. The output tube will also be glowing red at this point, so its sort of a giveaway. Shorted capacitor on the B+ side can do this too.
 
Have you had the backs of the speaker cabinets off yet, to see what JBL drivers are in them?

Updated some pics for you. I didn't take the speakers off to take front pics, but you can see the inside of the cabinet and speaker. The thing looks brand new.
 
Back
Top Bottom