• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Found a cool Motorola Golden Voice console today!

Tarl Of Gor

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I found this on CL today and has to probably be my coolest piece of audio I now own, and my first piece of tube gear. It has a Motorola HS-621a chassis with what looks like all original tubes, if that makes a difference. I know nothing about tube gear, so this is all new to me. It doesn't look like it has ever been apart or worked on. I just think it's so freakin neat that I wasn't going to pass it up for $40! Hell, it even has a 3-way speaker system in it! :thmbsp:

motorola1.jpg


motorola2.jpg


motorola3.jpg


motorola5.jpg


motorola6.jpg


motorola9.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
The exterior looks great and everything else looks like it's been stored in the bed of a farm use only F150? Looks like fairly decent iron for a little 6V6 amp.
 
I had a couple of those very amps a few years ago and used them as monoblocks in my main system for a time. Very good punchy bass response. Now I can't even remember what I traded them off for.
 
That is a gorgeous looking console....I know it's heresy to some, but I would love to find a pair of those and rebuild the cabinets as truly Hi-Fi powered speakers.

:drool:
 
Spent some time today to see how she'd clean up. I don't think she cleaned up too bad! I ordered some parts for the turntable like a new cartridge, idler wheel and motor mounts. The speed selector is frozen so I'll need to figure out what is wrong with that but I don't think that'll be too hard to fix.

Then I'll fire up the amp and see how she sounds!

IMG_2544.jpg
 
Great amp in there! Congrats.

Recap at least and you'll most likely love it. Really like the small footprint of that model.

BTW, those amps are great for guitar amp conversions.....but even I'd keep it in the wood you got.
 
From the serial number I was able to determine that it was built in the beginning of March, 1958. Damn thing is older than me!
 
I hope you remember to clean up all those tubes (including sockets) and other amp parts before firing it up, and use a variac/bulb tester when firing it up... but you know that much already! :yes: :D


Looks like a pretty cool old console -- congratulations on the find! Nice to see some interest in restoring one of these, too, rather than just gutting one for the amps. :thmbsp: Looking forward to reading about how it sounds.
 
Golden Voice usually = Jensen speakers ! :yes:

Sometimes. You have to look at the codes though to be sure, some other Golden Voice labeled speakers I've seen have been made by Heppner or Magnavox. Still good sounding speakers though.

That little tabletop unit looks like the same cabinet as the 1956 model with a HS-544 chassis that my dad bought new as a closeout in 1957. The turntable died in typical fashion in the late 1960s and it sat around the house until the 1980s when I converted it into a guitar amp. Since then I've converted several other similar Motorola amp chassis for guitar including an HS-621, a couple of HS-475s, and another HS-544.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom