• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2230 HotRod Paint

atwoodt

Active Member
Ok, I know this will be sacrilege for many (maybe even CatRafter)... but I'm not going to sell this unit and so it's only for my enjoyment.

I have a 2230 that was recently restored by Catrafter (I also have a 2252B by him) and it's super sounding...really like the warm sound.

However, this one was very dirty and even worse smelly when I got it. Tom did a great job cleaning up the innards (I also took a crack at it before Tom) and after a couple weeks, playing constantly with the cover off and some activated charcoal containers placed around it, I no longer smell cat/cigarettes or whatever I was smelling...so I think it's burned off. However the vinyl (and even the foam pads under the cover) still reeked, even after cleaning. I also don't really like the vinyl (sorry)- My 2252B doesn't have vinyl- just black paint.

So, I decided to strip and sandblast the vinyl off and have it painted at an Autobody shop. I got this idea from an old AK thread by KidThorazine. (I considered covering it with a nice custom cherry wood case, but this was more expedient.) Also, I figure I can source an original cover if I ever wanted to.

I'm very pleased with the results-- I chose a 2008 Chrysler Color used on the Viper- Snakeskin Green Pearl. In the detail pic you can see the internal covers that Catrafter had re-plated. I had the inside painted as well, so it reflects color in the chrome but this is hard to see in the photos.

I'm thinking about having it detailed with a smallish script (like some have done on their Rondines) on the top or side, saying "We Sound Better" but that may be over the top?

Since I'll never own an expensive sports car this will have to do....I can wax it in 30 days. :banana:

I've currently paired this to some Realistic Minimus 7 Walnuts with the Zilch x-over mod... it sounds great, although lacking in base (I plan to add a powered sub or dual subs). I added the felt to the M7s as well (I'm just experimenting with it on it's side right now, near field listening).

Anyway, I mostly lurk here, yet I read AK Threads incessantly and will miss Zilch's postings...
 

Attachments

  • Marantz 2230_Front_Low.jpg
    Marantz 2230_Front_Low.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Marantz 2230_Front 2_Low.jpg
    Marantz 2230_Front 2_Low.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Marantz 2230_Cover Only_Low.jpg
    Marantz 2230_Cover Only_Low.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Marantz 2230_Chrome Detail_Low.jpg
    Marantz 2230_Chrome Detail_Low.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Advent-Realistic_Low.jpg
    Advent-Realistic_Low.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 149
Register to hide this ad
Wow, thats really wild. I think in the 70's that color was called "groovey green". I like it!

I painted my bike that color...YD
 
paint

Hmmm, excellent paint job.
Color choice? Not for me.
Black, Brown or Marantz Light Bulb Blue, maybe.

But hey, it's yours so enjoy!
 
It ain't easy being green. But anything is better than the standard dog poo brown. I have a 2230 that came with a textured black laminate that looks original but I've never seen on a vintage Marantz. Excellent paint job on yours. I'm sure your Marantz gets noticed. I may give it some thought re: a partially functioning (amp only) 2230B I have. Rust-Oleum sells a variety of hammered paint colors which is extremely forgiving. Don't think I would re-do a very good Marantz though, but that's just me.
 
I like it. Reminds me of that old Mopar green from the early 70's. It would look good with some jazzing up, like pinstripes or something. Trick it up any way you like, it's yours.
Mikey
 
Looks nice.

They did a great paint job.

Now for wide tires and dual exhaust.:D

Just kidding.

I like the way it looks. And it is one of a kind.
 
Forget detailing go to the place where they make those boat name transfers and have a Marantz 2230 made at least 8" tall and preferably with flames coming out of it and put it on the front and possibly even the sides! If you want to be different go for the gusto!
I like it.
 
When I saw the thread title, I got a little worried. But that's actually not bad at all! And when I think about it, I've never liked the Marantz vinyl cover either, I actually think it looks rather terrible (and very, very cheap - pretty all the other manufacturers of the time used NON-optional wood cases!), but somehow I hardly notice it since my eyes always fall on the faceplate. :)

I love the green and I love the glossy look. I would honestly choose your Marantz in favor of an original one any day. :)
 
Here is the inspiration thread by KidThorazine (other color options, including Blue).
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=340855

The whole idea was to get a vintage or exotic car look and I was trying to go for something vaguely 70ish- my receiver is stamped 75.12.24 inside. I think the blue dials look great with the green color- like instrumentation. Also the color is nice with others in my rack and surroundings. Green isn't for everyone though...

I'd shop around if one doesn't do it themselves as KidThorazine did. I think quotes will vary based on how busy the shop is and if they have supplies on hand- it was more than I wanted to spend, but less than I feared.

I think KidThorazine used these paints:
http://www.testors.com/category/136528/Car_&_Truck_Enamel_Paint

He told me this, "I use a paint/vinyl stripper then wash it off [the vinyl] using dish soap let it dry then use a sander with 220 grit and lightly sand the case,then wipe it down with 91 rubbing alcohol let dry then paint. Some paints require an undercoat of silver/gold."

Here was the script idea I was thinking of... I was thinking small on the side so not very noticeable...."We Sound Better"
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=206451&d=1271775097
Fun thing about cover work is it doesn't interrupt the listening....

If others do this, I'd love to see the results. I attached a pic of the back and the original inspiration (which I most definitely do not own...no room for car seats)
 

Attachments

  • Marantz 2230_Back_Low.jpg
    Marantz 2230_Back_Low.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Not sure why the car didn't post... maybe because it's not audio? :-)
 

Attachments

  • Viper copy.jpg
    Viper copy.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 41
not a fan of the woodgrain vinyl either. luckily my 2230 is in my WC22.

my 2265 has a black textured metal cover, if I didn't have my WC, I probably would have pulled the vinyl off of the 2230 and painted with a black wrinkle paint or one of the darker rustoleum hammertone paints.
 
Back
Top Bottom