• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I’m In the Big Leagues Now!

MrZero63

Well-Known Member
I just finished setting up a pair of ’71 K-horns I bought from a gentleman named Bob through a Craigslist ad. Bob has a serious speaker collection, crowned with an Electro-Voice Patrician (exact version unknown – I didn’t ask because I was too busy wiping the drool from my mouth after seeing it – hearing it was even better). The single speaker was huge and pumped out an Eagles song before he powered it back down. He also had various audio toys, mostly tubed, and a few reel-to-reel decks, vintage radios, and even a small ham radio station (with a transmitting tower in his backyard). He sold me the Klipschorns because he had too many speakers and needed to thin the herd a bit. I enjoyed helping him out because I got an awesome deal. I just need to replace the original AA network – hello again, Mr. Crites - (the bass was nowhere to be found and the squawker and tweeter emitted shrill highs) and then it’s good to go in near-mint condition walnut trim.

I threw in my Heresy II network to ensure all was serviceable after peeking into the woofer compartment (I couldn’t see/feel all the way around the woofer in there because I only opened one side). It sounded glorious with the incorrect network. Simply glorious! I hooked it up to my flea-powered Roger Modjesky EM7 2.5 SET amp and the behemoths sang with enthusiasm - a certain energy that really impressed me. WOW! Now I know why these speakers are on many top ten lists and also the lists of speakers one would never sell. As I told Bob, these are keepers. :yes:

I included a picture of the speakers and recall that the owner’s manual suggests ceilings ‘no lower than 8.5 feet’ and ‘a length to width ratio of 1 to .618’, but have no place else to put them. I would rather buy the speakers first and then worry about placement since my current house is only temporary (11 more months). I didn’t believe it, but the K-horns are sitting in the corners where my Heresy IIs and KG4s once were (with lots of room in between – now there is no room). I do not have a dedicated listening room like in my last house, so it’ll have to be this way for almost another year. I am just glad I got them!

-Dave :banana::banana::banana:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6344.jpg
    IMG_6344.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 374
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
Hi,
whoa! Giant headphones. Must be awesome.

Stan

:lmao:

Congrats! and by the looks of the picture, you have some mighty fine stuff feeding the.

I must however, ask.... did he argue with your point above?

:D

He seemed ever-so-slightly saddened and said he had them for about 10 years, but I wonder what speakers he had in the house... We were in his 2-story wood shop/office/radio station. His wife alluded to something grand in the house (speakers grander than K-horns) but we were running late and had to go. Bob just smiled a knowing smile...

They are my keepers, though!

nice!
Bill

Thanks! I was surprised the cabinets and fabric were in such great condition. I was even more surprised when I first viewed them on Craigslist - that they were walnut and not oak. The walnut is exactly what I wanted - and the WAF was way up because of it - it matches our other furniture. :thmbsp:

-Dave
 
Well done. There are some local K-Horns avail at a fair price and i've considered taking the plunge a few times, but i just don't have a proper space for them! Big house but small rooms.... I do have the space to add a RSW 15, so i went that way and kept the Cornie II's.
 
Mine don't quite fit my room setup either, but sometimes you just can't sweat the small stuff.

Nice horns!
 
Love the walnut finish, too.

Ha, ha - great comment on "giant headphones" for your living room.

Now get those crossovers squared away properly! :D
 
Love the walnut finish, too.

Ha, ha - great comment on "giant headphones" for your living room.

Now get those crossovers squared away properly! :D

They were sent to Mr. Crites this morning for a rebuild while I am away on a short business trip. They may be at my door upon my return. :D

I can hardly wait!!!
 
They were sent to Mr. Crites this morning for a rebuild while I am away on a short business trip. They may be at my door upon my return. :D

I can hardly wait!!!

Color me envious. That upgrade will make those speakers sing, for sure. :thmbsp:
 
I'll let everyone know how it worked out after I've installed the new networks. The sound and presence of these extraordinary beasts already leave my jaw in the dropped position. :drool:

I still can't believe it's true - that I have Klipschorns!
 
Congratulations!

Late last year when we were long-distance house shopping, one of the requirements the Realtor had (which she couldn't quite understand) was for "a room with two corners, 15' apart, with at least 6 feet of wall in front of the corners".

Good luck on the new house search!
 
Congratulations!

Late last year when we were long-distance house shopping, one of the requirements the Realtor had (which she couldn't quite understand) was for "a room with two corners, 15' apart, with at least 6 feet of wall in front of the corners".

Good luck on the new house search!

I would much rather have a space like that than a swimming pool.

Congratulations on the beautiful K-horns - I can feel your excitement!

BTW, Is that a Strat or a Bullet in the forground, right side?
 
I would much rather have a space like that than a swimming pool.

Congratulations on the beautiful K-horns - I can feel your excitement!

BTW, Is that a Strat or a Bullet in the forground, right side?

Thanks! I'm on a short business trip, which makes it easier to wait... but I'm still excited and in awe of the sheer mass of these beauties.

The guitar is a Starcaster my eldest son got me for Christmas 16 months ago. I've been away from home for 7 of those months, but I still play some tabs on it and have some fun (I'm pretty sure many 10 year-olds play better than I am able to). Sometimes just listening to music isn't enough - I feel the urge to actively participate by playing an instrument or two... That's a pretty sweet looking guitar in your avatar/picture!
 
Thanks! I'm on a short business trip, which makes it easier to wait... but I'm still excited and in awe of the sheer mass of these beauties.

The guitar is a Starcaster my eldest son got me for Christmas 16 months ago. I've been away from home for 7 of those months, but I still play some tabs on it and have some fun (I'm pretty sure many 10 year-olds play better than I am able to). Sometimes just listening to music isn't enough - I feel the urge to actively participate by playing an instrument or two... That's a pretty sweet looking guitar in your avatar/picture!

My 15-year old has only been playing for a year and smokes me, easy! Thanks for the compliment - that is an '84 MIJ Squier Bullet on the right and an 18 month old Benjamin Wallace Smothers on the right. I was in the middle of shielding the body cavity, rewiring the controls and replacing the pickups when I took that picture. I am nothing but a hacker when it comes to playing, but I sure do enjoy making a glorious noise. Have fun when you get home!:banana::music:
 
Back
Top Bottom