• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pimp my Genesis

EPI-Center

Super Member
yeah, they could have been perfect but they're not. I had to cut out a new grill and it is not perfectly straight. I did finally learn to get the veneer to match.

These are Huw Powell's tweets which are all kind of articulate, if you're a fan of the JBL titanium tweets or the Boston Lynnfield you'll love these tweets as they are incredibly detailed. Have had some moments hearing things in songs for the first time. Also installed the back plate from Huw, it has a Bennic cap which needs to finish breaking in. This project took me a long time to get to and was pretty fun.
 

Attachments

  • DSC03338.jpg
    DSC03338.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC03339.jpg
    DSC03339.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC03340.jpg
    DSC03340.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC03341.jpg
    DSC03341.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 93
Register to hide this ad
a few more pics
 

Attachments

  • DSC03374.jpg
    DSC03374.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC03376.jpg
    DSC03376.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC03377.jpg
    DSC03377.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC03381.jpg
    DSC03381.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC03383.jpg
    DSC03383.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 96
I too am interested in where you got those "green" surrounds. Are they the softer ones like what originally came on the Genesis speakers?
 
very nice work, but why did you replace the tweeters? sounds like you like the replacements though, so I guess I answered my own question.
 
I got the grill fabric at joanne's, it was hard to find...it might be one shade heavier than the original but with the improved tweeter trust me, there are no problems hearing the highs.

I decided to go w/ the new tweets because that's what Genesis was developing at the time of their demise and I wanted to experience some truly "updated" Genesis.

I think next maybe I will do some box mods...like a brace or some dynamat type stuff inside. I want to shut off the box resonance but allow the passive to breathe.
 
I too am interested in where you got those "green" surrounds. Are they the softer ones like what originally came on the Genesis speakers?

I did a lot of experiments on surrounds and I felt like leather shoe dye allowed them to remain their elasticity while absorbing a little color...I felt this color was pretty close to original spec...
 
I decided to go w/ the new tweets because that's what Genesis was developing at the time of their demise and I wanted to experience some truly "updated" Genesis.

I think next maybe I will do some box mods...like a brace or some dynamat type stuff inside. I want to shut off the box resonance but allow the passive to breathe.

I like the finish what they started idea (new tweet). I wanted to redo the baffel on mine, put the tweet at the top, felt on the baffel board, brace them, and dynamat would be cool to. Get the most out of them. Never did anything with mine. :no: I do ahve a nice set of EV interface 3s which are cool, nice tweet / passive like those but in semi chezy boxes and vinyl. I have some real nice veneer T100 RS speakers (tall skinny) that might get re-purposed :thmbsp:
 
I've got some EPI A-240's that I'm going to start working on. I have been debating on whether to buy the replacement tweeters from Huw or keep the originals. Sounds like you like his replacements. I was leaning on keeping the originals, but now maybe not. I do like the color choice for the cabinets. Nice job!
 
I did a lot of experiments on surrounds and I felt like leather shoe dye allowed them to remain their elasticity while absorbing a little color...I felt this color was pretty close to original spec...

Did you treat the foam before or after you did the refoam?
 
I have always wondered if it was worth replacing the tweeters in my 210's with the aluminum tweeters Huw has .
 
oh I really like those later tweeters....IMO I think they are a bit clearer than the really early versions...although I've heard they're easier to fry, I've never fried one.

those look like the T/E tweets

Which ones are easier to fry: The red ringed EPI or Huw's replacement?
 
Which ones are easier to fry: The red ringed EPI or Huw's replacement?

I read somewhere that the red EPI's can melt, although I've never seen it. I think the red and blue EPI tweets sound better than their earlier offerings, that may be psychological but I had some older wooden m150s at the same time as some 100's and thought the 100's were much clearer.


I think Huw's site says something about the new tweet not having the same power handling as the older ones. I'm positive it's clearer, I think it should be matched w/ warmer gear though, bad recordings on these tweets really come through, but great ones are truly awesome. I know it sounds cliche but I have heard things on the new tweets on recordings that I've never heard before. Incredibly revealing.
 
Back
Top Bottom