• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DIY ~3kHz conical horns

audiozaz

rtfm!? - tl;dr
I got the idea of building small horns by layering 0.5" BB ply and drilling 1", 2", 3" and 4" holes, then beveling the edges 45° to have a smooth wall, thus creating a 90° HF horn. Hornresp showed me it should not be too awful. Some "scrap" pieces of BB and a few hours of work have produced the following:

dscn0429jk.jpg


dscn0459e.jpg


dscn0460a.jpg


dscn0463v.jpg


I will try P.Audio BMD-440 1" exit compression drivers on these, on top of my Karlsons. Still awaiting driver delivery.

az
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks guys!

This is my first semi-serious foray into DIY horns. I had only stuck together some hardboard with hot glue for a midrange horn on Fostex FF125K for kicks last year or something. I don't know if a 90° conical horn for HF is even a good idea, but Hornresp did not discourage me at least and there's not too much investment here, so I gave it a go. Hope it works at least decently, I'll be happy.

az
 
Last edited:
I wonder how a nice soft dome would work on one of these?

Did you router it while they were all together or separately?
 
I've been trying to download that dang Hornresp. program for the longest time and my efforts have all been unsuccessful.

How did you snag it?


RC
 
I wonder how a nice soft dome would work on one of these?

Did you router it while they were all together or separately?

All 4 layers routed separately. Finding the exact depth for the 45° bevel bit was the trick. I routed over guide holes of the same diameter for the bearing to roll on something. The wood is actually more like 7/16" so fit was not perfect, but good enough for sanding to smooth out nicely.

I've been trying to download that dang Hornresp. program for the longest time and my efforts have all been unsuccessful.

How did you snag it?


RC

You run a PC? I think it won't run on Mac.

http://www.hornresp.net.ms/ should do it. If there's trouble, I can see about sending you the file, should not be very big. It's a good program to simulate more than just horns too.

az
 
Very Nice AZ!!! Will you be making measurements? Love to see how they plot.

Yes, I'll attempt this. :) My basic setup for response measurement should give a fair enough idea. It will be fun to compare it versus the Transylvania Tubes and see if it matches the Karlson wavefront. IMO conical has a good enough chance.

Here is the Hornresp predicted transfer function for the horn:

attachment.php


az
 
Last edited:
Drivers in place:

No flash:

dscn0478o.jpg


Flash:

dscn0480ev.jpg


These P.Audio BMD-440 seem to be well-made and I got a sweet deal on them too.

az
 
Those look very nice.:yes: Did you use a lathe?

edit: beveled router bit-
 
Last edited:
Awesome job.

For those without routering skills like myself, Look up making a bowl on a table saw.
 
Awesome job.

For those without routering skills like myself, Look up making a bowl on a table saw.

Thanks!

Neat trick for the table saw bowl. As for router skills, I'm pretty much a noob on this tool; work safe and taking your time is the way to go IMO. The router only got me a rough shape anyway, there was a lot more work done in the hand sanding stage.

az
 
I added an ''oblate spheroid'' throat section for better driver loading and a smoother transition to a spherical wavefront. That might sound fancy, but there's no real math behind the profile, just some sanding done by eye. :)

dscn0486k.jpg


dscn0487u.jpg


dscn0488p.jpg


I had quickly listened to them on top of Karlson and they were good IMO, although they did not blend as well as the K-Tube. The above fix may help with that, hopefully.

az
 
Back
Top Bottom