• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer DSS dual voice coil hookup?

absolve2525

Super Member
I finally got a pair of original woofers for my DSS 7, but I'm stuck figuring out which wire goes to which terminal on the dual voice coils. Brown and white contain the low-lows, but unfortunately the lugs were cut off and I don't know which one is correct. There are different sized terminals at the woofers, which would have made this easy if I still had the connectors on the wires! Does anyone recall which is which? One woofer terminal has a very tiny connector. The other side has wider terminals. Thanks for any input! Pics coming
 

Attachments

  • 20130623_114501.jpg
    20130623_114501.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20130623_114416.jpg
    20130623_114416.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20130623_114351.jpg
    20130623_114351.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hey absolve.

I found the wiring diagram for the 2VC woofer. It seems that there is NO difference between the 2 sets of lugs on the driver. That is to say, 1 is not for the sub, and 1 is not for the woofer. They can be interchangeable.


The Blue (+) and White (-) go on one side, and the Brown (+) and White (-) go on the other side. The only thing I would do is make sure the drivers are "facing" the same way. Have the lettering on both (if there's any) drivers readable, then pick a side and do the same wire hook-up to both with the same colors (say the Brown and White).


Just in case you didn't know or the woofers aren't marked, looking at the back of the basket, lugs at 9 & 3 o'clock: the + is top right and bottom left and the - is bottom right and top left.

RadioShack has the crimp-on terminals to fit the small lugs. Both small lugs are the - for the driver.


Hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
Good. I have a pair of DSS9 and was going to pull a woofer for you till I remembered there are eight large allens holding them in. If cable's wiring schematic doesn't help for some reason let me know and I can look at mine tomorrow when I get more time. Good Luck.
 
Oh really! It doesn't matter huh? I figured from the literature and crossover diagram that one set of leads was for the extreme lows. I'm not really too knowledgeable about these dvc woofers. Thanks for the reply!
 
Measure the voice coils on each, I think you might find them different. The lowest value should be for the "low" side", the higher value the "upper low side"
 
You are correct. 1 set of leads are for the "ultra low" frequencies, and the other set is for "normal" bass.

Well, sorry that you didn't find my answer useful. I downloaded the PDF (which you could have done if you did a SIMPLE Google search) and there were no specific way mentioned on how the wiring goes on the driver.

I spent about an hour looking thru posts on your speaker, only to find that the "special" woofer is nothing more than a 2VC driver. If Pioneer doesn't specify a certain way to attach the X-over wires and you state that you don't know, how do you know if it matters or not?


Gibsonian: When you are talking about values, just what are you talking about? Is it ohms, Le (coil inductance), or Re, or something else. :scratch2:
 
I just measured the two sides. The vc with the smallest solder tab measures 3.7 while the other side measures 6.7. I'm assuming the smaller tabs are both negative? Perhaps Craig can pull a woofer afterall and post pics of each side. Greatly appreciate the help!
 
I just measured the two sides. The vc with the smallest solder tab measures 3.7 while the other side measures 6.7. I'm assuming the smaller tabs are both negative? Perhaps Craig can pull a woofer afterall and post pics of each side. Greatly appreciate the help!


Sounds like you know how to connect them now. And yes, smaller tab is the negative side on Pioneer speaks.
 
You are correct. 1 set of leads are for the "ultra low" frequencies, and the other set is for "normal" bass.

Well, sorry that you didn't find my answer useful. I downloaded the PDF (which you could have done if you did a SIMPLE Google search) and there were no specific way mentioned on how the wiring goes on the driver.

I spent about an hour looking thru posts on your speaker, only to find that the "special" woofer is nothing more than a 2VC driver. If Pioneer doesn't specify a certain way to attach the X-over wires and you state that you don't know, how do you know if it matters or not?


Gibsonian: When you are talking about values, just what are you talking about? Is it ohms, Le (coil inductance), or Re, or something else. :scratch2:

Re, resistance. Each of the dual voice coils are wound differently, resulting in the different Re, Le, and impedances for each coil. It truly is a rather special driver. I need a new one for my DSS9's - somebody broke my woofer cone!
 
Re, resistance. Each of the dual voice coils are wound differently, resulting in the different Re, Le, and impedances for each coil. It truly is a rather special driver. I need a new one for my DSS9's - somebody broke my woofer cone!

Just FYI, I have DSS-9's, and I can tell you that Parts Express can re-cone these with the exact woofer cone.
 
Just FYI, I have DSS-9's, and I can tell you that Parts Express can re-cone these with the exact woofer cone.

Exact? Are you sure? I have seen replacements made from polypropylene, but to be exact they are supposedly polymer graphite, according to the info from Pioneer, which is stiffer, lighter and a lot more brittle than polypro. I may end up going with whatever is available anyway.

Simply Speakers does the recone as well. Can you tell me what it costs at PE?
 
The blue and white go to the larger set of connectors with the blue on the largest. Brown and white to the smaller connectors with brown on the larger.
 

Attachments

  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 22
  • securedownload (1).jpg
    securedownload (1).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 23
  • securedownload (2).jpg
    securedownload (2).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 21
Thanks a ton, Craig! I'm waiting on a replacement woofer to arrive, after refoaming the one that I have. One speaker was missing a woofer when I bought the pair. I'll be able to go ahead and install the one, with your info! Cheers! :thmbsp:
 
Exact? Are you sure? I have seen replacements made from polypropylene, but to be exact they are supposedly polymer graphite, according to the info from Pioneer, which is stiffer, lighter and a lot more brittle than polypro. I may end up going with whatever is available anyway.

Simply Speakers does the recone as well. Can you tell me what it costs at PE?

Yup, the replacement cone is PG, it's exact. $75 per woofer for recone and reform, which includes return shipping.
 
Thanks again for all the great info. I hooked up both woofers, one that came with the speakers that I refoamed and the other that I found on EBay, already refoamed. They sound great, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why there's is a very faint "rattle" sound coming from the center inside (I think?) of the woofer that I refoamed, when excursions are very high. It's barely noticeable, and it almost sounds mechanical? It's not scraping or bottoming, and I have since redone the foam alignment first with test tones, then with shims. Same result. I cleaned out the vc while I had the cap off, clean as a whistle. Again, the woofers plays equally as loud, just one has that faint sound. The spider looks fine, as do the vc leads inside. Weird! Does anyone have more details on that Parts Express recone job? It's dvc and exactly matched? Just wondering, in case I want to pursue that some day. They shake the house with their punch.
 
Relative to the Parts Express recone, they do in fact somehow have the EXACT polymer graphite woofer cones. They are identical dozen to the "rib circles". I had the woofers from my DSS-7 reconed and reformed by PE, and they sound spectacular. Anyone looking at them would be very hard pressed to tell that the were not 100% original:

32b55cfdab1522aee3df107ccdca31ab_zps46e1f8d8.jpg
 
Sky lab,
on your 9s pictured are they re-cones or originals? My re-cones from Simply Speakers has the foam on the out side.
 
Back
Top Bottom