• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakerlab History Project

Bratwurst7s

In The Frying Pan
Subscriber
I hope that the thread title isn't too pretentious. But my goal is to live up to the title eventually.

As I've been doing my S7s rebuild I noticed a bit of confusion about the different Speakerlab models, especially as they changed over time. And there isn't much info to be found on the web, so a few weeks ago I saved the only useful thing from the Speakerlab website, namely the old catalog scans, and started reading.

I've taken what info and facts that seemed usefull from the old catalogs and spent the last couple of weeks putting it into a simple spreadsheet. It has to be simple because I'm stone cold stupid when it comes to using a spreadsheet. I used the opensource ods format because anyone can download OpenOffice or LibreOffice for free and read it regardless of platform.

There's a page for each year that I've been able to find printed info for, and separate pages for tweeters, mids, etc. I've tried real hard to only enter hard facts from printed sources and refrain from making guesses, which means of course that there are a lot of blanks. When there was conflicting or different info for drivers of the same name I added separate entries. I hope that it might be useful to Speakerlab fans.

Consider it a work in progress. If anyone has any catalogs, raw driver spec sheets, or other printed material from the missing years and wants to PM me I'll add it to the sheet for everyone to enjoy. I haven't even started to use the search function here to look for more, but will be doing that soon and will add in anything that I can find. So there you go. I hope that everyone has fun with it. :music:

Cheers,
James

edit - New version 1.21 22-Dec-2013
edit - New version 1.3 18-June-2017

edit: I'm getting the feeling that I haven't been clear enough about what this thread is all about.

THERE IS A FILE TO DOWNLOAD HERE!
The File is where THE INFORMATION is. The FILE Boss, the FILE. It's all about the FILE, the FILE the FILE.

There, perhaps that will help. No more shouting today, my keyboard is getting hoarse.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Have you tried contacting Speakerlab through their website? They may have some additional info and odd ball stuff that they didn't post on the history page.
 
I've sent them several emails over the last 3 months without a single reply. That's ok. Out of the ca 150,000 people here I'm guessing that there are some people out there with a few jewels to share. As it happens I'll try to keep adding it together.
 
I'm looking for the catalogs from 1978-79, 1982-85, 1987-94, and anything past 1995. Starting in '81 it looks like raw drivers must have been on separate sheets because '80 is the last year that I see T/S data in the catalogs so I'm looking for them also.

With time perhaps something will pop up.
 
I found Ann Gallimore who is the owner of Speaker Lab on Linkedin. I spoke to her on the phone about a year ago when I was looking for literature. Are you on Linkedin?
 
I found Ann Gallimore who is the owner of Speaker Lab on Linkedin. I spoke to her on the phone about a year ago when I was looking for literature. Are you on Linkedin?

Hi Pete, no, I'm not on any of those social media sites. This is as close as it gets for me. I have however written emails to Speakerlab at different times looking for information regarding several different things but have never received an answer to anything.

Cheers,
James
 
Hi James, I'm really surprised about that, she was quite nice and friendly to talk to. Not sure who answers the mail there but perhaps they didn't know the answer but, I'm surprised about no answer at all.
 
I have one or two driver spec sheets from the late 80's or early 90's around here somewhere. If I can find them, I'll get scans to you somehow.
 
Hi James, I'm really surprised about that, she was quite nice and friendly to talk to. Not sure who answers the mail there but perhaps they didn't know the answer but, I'm surprised about no answer at all.

I should try again. Btw, it's not my intent to say anything bad or mean about them, just stating the facts of my experiences so far.

James
 
I have one or two driver spec sheets from the late 80's or early 90's around here somewhere. If I can find them, I'll get scans to you somehow.

That would be great. Feel free to pm me if you find anything. Thanks.

James
 
Hi James, ...

BTW, would you be the same Pete B that posted in the DIY audio forums (?) a while back concerning the Madisound W1038R? That was helpful to see and first put that woofer on the short list for me as a useful substitute for the Speakerlab W1008P. I just wish there was a company over here that carried them.

Cheers,
James
 
Bratwurst7s

I have been cleaning up around the house and came across some older Speakerlab catalogs. These seem to at two or more locations around the house. I'll take a look at what years these are and get back to you, sometime.

I've ordered several drivers from them in the '70s, and built some 3-way speakers based on two of their drivers. Served me well until I could afford to buy some 'real' good speakers.

Anything specific you would like to see? Is it the driver specs?
 
Last edited:
Hi pch300,

I'm looking for listings of the model line-ups for the missing years and the basic specs of each model including the installed driver numbers, and any and all driver specs for the missing catalog years. Especially usefull would be driver specs in the '80s after they started using the poly cones in woofers and mids. I've never been able to find specs on them to compare to the earlier paper cone units.

Anything that you find will be greatfuly and joyously accepted and will be added to the spreadsheet for everyones use.

Thanks,
James
 
Hi James, I'm really surprised about that, she was quite nice and friendly to talk to. Not sure who answers the mail there but perhaps they didn't know the answer but, I'm surprised about no answer at all.

Hi Pete,

I decided to try again and sent them a post yesterday. Text posted below. We'll see what happens.

Cheers,
James

"Good day,

I've sent a couple of emails to you (Speakerlab) in the last 6 months
searching for help and information without ever receiving a reply. I can
completely understand a receiving a reply that states "Sorry we can't
help you". I could even accept a reply that said "Go away, and never
come back". At least that would be a reply. But I've been very surprised
to simply receive no reply at all.

To me it's a sad time when the company that carries the name that is
proudly stretched across the front of the Super 7s that I've had for 31
years completely blows off a loyal fan. Very sad indeed.

Nonetheless I'd like to try again. In Febuary of 2000 I bought a pair of
W1058P woofers from you. It would be very helpful to me to find some
Theil-Small parameters for these woofers. Do you have any such
information that you would be willing to share with me? Do you have any
TS information regarding the even older M654P from the 1983 time frame?

Thank You,

James"
 
still my favorite speaker company.. too bad I sold my 7`s ( long time ago) and my 4`s are stuck in boxes in the garage :( No Wife Approval....
 
still my favorite speaker company.. and my 4`s are stuck in boxes in the garage :( No Wife Approval....

Ahh, but it's great that you still have them. You never know what the future might allow. I'm very very lucky in that my wife is being very supportive of my 7 rebuild project. Of course it also means that she gets to listen to her Kid Rock CDs at a decent volume when she wants...

Cheers,
James
 
Back
Top Bottom