• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakerlab History Project

I found my scans. There are 2 scans of driver specs scanned as jpegs, and a model 50 brochure scanned as a pdf. What will be the best way to get these to you for your spreadsheet?
 
James-

I'm following your thread with great interest. Speakerlab brings back a flood of memories.

Great story, thanks for sharing those memories. It must have been a blast to hear those incredible jazz and blues titles through the Speakerlabs and other great gear.
 
I found my scans. There are 2 scans of driver specs scanned as jpegs, and a model 50 brochure scanned as a pdf. What will be the best way to get these to you for your spreadsheet?

Very good news! If you want you can PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Cheers,
James
 
Music, which is the reason for audio, is equal opportunity. It cares not for distinctions based on class, ethnicity, religion, age or any other petty categorizations. As Edward Kennedy Ellington said, "There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind." The same can be said of people.
The friends I've met through a love of music and the effort to reproduce it are invaluable.

Neil

You said it all right there. It'd be nice to etch that onto a nice piece of brushed brass and frame it.

James
 
Version 1.21

New version 1.21 uploaded. Driver entries for the different models in each year now have hyperlinks to the appropriate entry in the driver pages. Using cntrl+left-click-select makes the link active.

While doing this I found and corrected many small errors, especially in the 1981 page. Which brings me to asking that anyone finding an error please tell me. I really don't want to guilty of spreading false information and or mistakes.

I was about half way through doing the hyperlinks before I realized that it will complicate adding new entries to the driver pages. Up until now when I added a line I resorted the stack to keep things neat. Doing so in the future will result in the links pointing to a false line. I'll have to see if I can find a way to make such changes autocorrecting.

Cheers,
James
 
Santa Guy flew by this morning and delivered a couple of gems that will help me make some corrections, QC and additions. But not today. Right now I have to get busy wrapping presents before my kids get off work and come by. Nothing like the last minute...

Merry Christmas to all, and thanks again Guy
James
 
So I took a bit of a pause on this project. :)

But I finally worked in the data from GuyK's scans, found a 1985 catalog pdf, and most importantly our Paul C. was so very kind to recently send me his scans of the complete 1982 catalog. That inspired me to work on the spreadsheet again.

I just added the newest version (1.3) to the first post of the thread.

Enjoy, and if there is anyone that actually reads the spreadsheet, if you notice any errors please let me know.

Cheers,
James
 
Very cool thread. If I'm not mistaken, Speakerlab sold kits that you could build yourself right? I have scrounged all the drivers and crossovers from a Speakerlab 2.5 pair and I thought it'd cool to build my own boxes but I can't find the dimensions for this particular speaker. Anyone have this kind of info? Didn't see it in the available catalogs.
Sean
 
Very cool thread. If I'm not mistaken, Speakerlab sold kits that you could build yourself right? I have scrounged all the drivers and crossovers from a Speakerlab 2.5 pair and I thought it'd cool to build my own boxes but I can't find the dimensions for this particular speaker. Anyone have this kind of info? Didn't see it in the available catalogs.
Sean

Umm. You didn't read the first post clearly. Download the zip file attached to the first post. It's a LibreOffice .ods file. You'll find the info that you're looking for there.That file is the whole point of this thread.

The short answer is: 26-1/4" x 15-1/4" x 10-3/4".

Cheers,
James
 
James,

Thx for posting this thread. I read it back in 2013 and was glad to see you back on it again. I have Speakerlab 3's that I really love. I updated the tweeter with a Vifa silk dome I had not used since new in their original packaging that I just intalled last year. The woofers are my favorite. They go down deep. I hope to get a pair of sevens in the future... just been on the hunt for them many years now... maybe one day they will surface...

Cheers!!!
 
Last edited:
Hi Soundman, you are very welcome. It's all about the availability and spread of information. Now the search is on for the elusive years of 1978-'79.

I'll bet that your S3's sound great. Funny, I never even heard the wonder of soft dome tweeters until I moved over here in the land of Braun and Canton. Now my apartment is full of speakers with soft dome tweets and mids.

I'm waiting on pins and needles for my 2nd pair of S7's to arrive. A pair of S7WA's. Hopefully they will arrive in the coming week.

Cheers,
James
 
Thanks for the update! I have 6's on my main tube powered system. Both horns mounted horizontally [which I hadn't seen in the literature I'd seen]. Matters not, as I would never give them up for anything else I have heard.
 
James..... Exactly like that! Ha! Thanks. Listening to YoYo/ Elgar/ London Symphony right now but they are equally at home with Golden Earring / Stones / Oldtime /
I haven't found any genre they don't handle with grace and punch.
Mine would be the 6WAa with the walnut enclosure...
Mike
 
Last edited:
BTW, would you be the same Pete B that posted in the DIY audio forums (?) a while back concerning the Madisound W1038R? That was helpful to see and first put that woofer on the short list for me as a useful substitute for the Speakerlab W1008P. I just wish there was a company over here that carried them.

Cheers,
James

I'm PB2 on Diyaudio and yes I sign with Pete B. Don't remember that post exactly but
the W1038R sold a Madisound was actually a Meniscus driver that they also sold. It is
back in production - Eclipse W1038R:
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/eclipse-w1038r/
 
Thanks for the info Pete. In the mean time I went with a pair of Scan-Speak 25W/8565-00 as an interim solution and recently found a pair of original Speakerlab W1008R as my final solution.

Cheers,
James
 
It's good to see so much accumulated interest and information. Speakerlab speakers (2008 and on) have been branded SL Speakers since 2013 (as the retail store wound down, closing in late 2015). We had created a history section with many of the catalogs on the Speakerlab website, but that site is currently gone. We will be adding a history section to the SL Speakers website (SLSpeakers.com) with all the catalogs and documents we have, and are looking for any we don't have.
 
Back
Top Bottom