OK, I have been listen to these for about a half hour now. When I first fired them up I was pretty unimpressed. Sounded OK but not much for lows, not much at all. Surprisingly they had nice mids and highs and went higher than I thought they would. I assumed they would be kind of muddy but they are far from it. So I'm listening along to various artists and then Nora Jones comes on (Random shuffle on the CDP) Holy cow, not sure I have ever heard her voice so intimate and clear before, I start noticing the piano sounds surprisingly good in the mid and high registers as well. So I toss on some Sarah McLaughlin and same thing, detail up the wazoo and very intimate. In fact intimate is how I would describe these. They defiantly need lower register support but are very listen able once you get past that fact that there will be no nice low end to warm you up they really do some things nicely. I see why tube guys like this type of speaker, I would imagine they would really shine with tube stuff. Keep in mind that they are in no way setup for critical listening, I just hooked them up and threw them on the table in my home office as I worked. I am assuming with some time to loosen up, and proper placement and feeding these might sound pretty good. I have them on the Sansui 7070 but I'm starting to think SX-650 for warmth. I can tell they will image well as they already do and my setup is severely lacking for any real good imaging.
Now here is the interesting part (to me anyway), I pulled the cover off one (nails and glue) and the cone has a very unusual bell shape (see illustration). Not a flat cone at all but a highly profiled one.
Audio is fun