• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Russian Cinema 'Lomo Kinap' Tube Amp

SteveAndBell

1.21 Gigawatts
Hi. Just saw this on eBay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RUSSIAN-...age_Electronics_R2&hash=item51bb14c1e4&_uhb=1

Anyone here know anything about these beasts? Hifi/SubWoofer capable? Seems to be 80s vintage and looks like it uses some 'interesting' tubes with replacements still available plus as it's a 240V unit it will work here in Australia without any mucking around, nice :)

For a 100W Tube Amp the price seems too good to be true (even with shipping)... but I dunno.
 
Register to hide this ad
It says it's for voice, so the frequency limitations of the output TX may prevent it from being useful as a sub or any other type of Hi Fi amp.
 
It says it's for voice, so the frequency limitations of the output TX may prevent it from being useful as a sub or any other type of Hi Fi amp.

Ah yeah, so it does: "Professional Amplifier for Vocals" I missed that. Interestingly it does also state that its frequency response is 20-20,000Hz so yeah I'm a bit confused.
 
That is odd, I wonder if they are claiming it's flat 20 to 20? That would be a very difficult transformer wind, as deep bass takes big and heavy which is the enemy of high frequencies. I'd like to find some more info on it, it's definitely interesting.
 
Just bit the bullet and bought two of them from another Ukrainian. He seems like a great seller with 100% Feedback & Glowing reviews, communicates very well in English, has sent a link to the schematic (below) and has said they're a good all-rounder Amp with a typical bold & powerful 'Russian' sound.

Worth the risk I thought as they're 240 volt and if they don't sound good enough for Hifi then I should be able to flip them as insane Guitar amps and hopefully not lose too much moolah.

All I have to do now its wait 2-4 months as I purposely got him to send them via the cheapest possible method but I've paid via PayPal and have insurance & tracking on the parcels so fingers crossed...
 
Last edited:
Whoa, first Amp arrived today!

Only 20 days after I purchased them the first Amp of two (packed & sent separately) arrived today! They were supposed to take 2-4 months so this was a very nice surprise for both myself and my Ukrainian comrade.

Extremely well packed but it did suffer a massive drop somewhere along the line as one side of the box was crushed. Opening it I discovered the aluminium cabinet had also suffered (buckled & misaligned) but amazingly everything on the internal steel chassis looked A-OK... not even a broken tube! I knew the cabinet was in poor cosmetic condition from the eBay photos so I had always planned to put each chassis into new cabinets anyway :yes:

Got it home, ran it up on the variac until I was happy it was all OK and I've been listening to Soviet Tube bliss for the last couple of hours. I'm only running it with my basic workshop gear (SONOS as a source running flat EQ feeding a small, sacrificial 5" TDL 2-way bookshelf speaker) but comparing it to anything else I've run with this config it's showing real promise! For flat EQ the lows seem to all be there, the highs are effortless & detailed but definitely not harsh or glassy and the mids are what you'd expect from a tube Amp... 'natural'.

Can't turn it up too high as it's far too powerful for this little TDL bookshelf but once the other Amp arrives and I've given it a good test I'll drag them both into the main Lounge system and give them a proper audition on the Mach 2s, NS-1000s, Janszens & Hereseys. Sounding great so far though so I'm one happy Banana :banana:
 
2nd Amp arrived, stripped, cleaned & tested...

Received the 2nd Amp a few days ago so used a few hours today to see what they were all about.

This 2nd Amp suffered even more damage in transit than the first. The case is alloy but the chassis is heavy steel however the transformers are so heavy that they bent it like a banana even though there was no obvious signs of damage to the box or packing, see first pic. The Preamp PCB spans this bend however it wasn't broken. I did discover a broken output Tube though and have requested a used replacement from the seller as he has been very understanding and obliging throughout the entire process.

Before I could attempt to repair the damage I had to strip off the outer case so decided to do this to both Amps as I plan to recase them anyway. The case unscrewed from the chassis without any problems and I was left with two naked Amps after only about 45 minutes. Another hour of gentle persuasion of the Russian steel chassis and I managed to get both Amp chassis pretty much as straight as they should be (see pics 2 & 3).

Spent another couple of hours cleaning & detailing both Amps as best I could (they're not exactly pretty afterall) then decided to fire them both up for a proper test. Populated one with tubes and applied power. All worked OK however there was some pretty serious scratching & static sounds being produced. I initially thought it was due to some dodgy carbon resistors and that would've been fine however after tapping around I found the 2N2P tube (ECC83/12AX7 equivalent) to be microphonic... my first :) I powered it all down, swapped the tube with the one from the other Amp and powered it all back up. Bingo, it was the tube all along because after the swap there's no static, no crackling and this tube isn't microphonic! I've ordered a handful of replacement 2N2Ps and 6F5Ps (ECL85 equivalent) to keep in stock once I've got these Amps in service so all good there.

Once I had one Amp working properly I took some time to have a play with it, see last pic. I then loaded this same set of good working tubes into the other Amp and had a long play with it too just to make sure they were both working about the same to the ear. Thankfully they do! Running them from the Pre-out of a little NAD Integrated I played a few different tracks to see how they sounded. The results were again pretty encouraging, smooth, mellow & delicate down low on tracks that deserved it yet when the volume was turned up a bit for other tracks these Amps sound like they have no limit... like a Russian freight train at full speed! I look forward to receiving my new tubes in a few weeks so I can connect both Amps to larger speakers in my Lounge room.

Next step is to re-case these into something more appropriate for the Lounge room but that will be several weeks away yet as I've only just ordered the new cases from the UK. I'll post more here when I've progressed...
 

Attachments

  • 1. Buckled.jpg
    1. Buckled.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 242
  • 2. Stripped.jpg
    2. Stripped.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 3. Fixed.jpg
    3. Fixed.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 4. Burn In.jpg
    4. Burn In.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 241
Damn, you are lucky. I have no idea how the PC board didn't break, develop bad solder joints or lifted traces with a bend like that. Amazing. guess it was meant to be.
 
Damn, you are lucky. I have no idea how the PC board didn't break, develop bad solder joints or lifted traces with a bend like that. Amazing. guess it was meant to be.

Ha yeah, tell me about it. I was a bit shocked myself when I lifted the lid but the photo doesn't show the silicon grommets the PCB was mounted on. Without these the PCB would've snapped for sure.
 
If they were mine, I would figure out a way to make those finals be at the front of the amp and be eye candy on display. And then just to aggravating to guests- do the stencils in Cyrillic. :banana:
 
If they were mine, I would figure out a way to make those finals be at the front of the amp and be eye candy on display. And then just to aggravating to guests- do the stencils in Cyrillic. :banana:

Yep... exactly what I have planned :yes: Well, except for the Cyrillic ;) The cases I plan to put them in are just very plain, boring black metal enclosures but they'll have perforated panels front & back for air flow so yes there will be a visible glow-fest at the front while in use.
 
Case components arrived...

My flatpacked case components arrived from the UK today so I roughly put one together and slid the Amp in for a test fitting, see pics below.

These Soviet Amp chassis are BIG so my case choices were extremely limited. I don't have the gear or the time to fabricate anything decent enough myself at this stage however I managed to find a 4U Rack Cabinet/Sleeve from http://www.allmetalparts.co.uk/ that seemed to fit the bill. Not the most attractive solution but the Amp chassis fits really nicely inside and being a bog standard 19" rack there are lots of different options for vent & blanking panels. I actually like the utilitarian boring black-on-blackness so with some bold thick black handles I think these could turn out OK.

Anyhoo, LOTS of componentry still on its way and many more weeks left to finish these off but baby steps...
 

Attachments

  • Amp - 1.jpg
    Amp - 1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Amp - 2.jpg
    Amp - 2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 117
All glassed up...

I received my NOS emergency replacement Tubes today shipped direct from Ukraine a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't wait to get home and give both Amps a proper run in the Loungeroom on more appropriate speakers than my sacrificial test sets.

Got home, populated both Amps and temporarily set them up as is on the main system. Pics below. WoW, they really do sound nice however it was getting a bit too late to really turn them up too far so I'll do some further testing on the weekend. Ran them with flat EQ through my C-70 Pre to a pair of NS-1000s but they sounded a lot happier through the Mach 2s on the few tracks I auditioned. I assume they will sound different through different speakers at different levels with different tracks so I'm looking forward to giving them a work out.

One thing I was a little concerned about was the extra glow from the replacement output Tube compared to the others. Check out the large tube furthest away in the pics below. See the side glow? I know they're strange Russian beasts but any idea what's going on there? Fault or just a different design compared to the others you think? Everything seemed OK during the 30 minute test so I'm not sure.
 

Attachments

  • 12. Dual Mono Test - 1.jpg
    12. Dual Mono Test - 1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 13. Dual Mono Test -2.jpg
    13. Dual Mono Test -2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 14. Dual Mono Test - 3.jpg
    14. Dual Mono Test - 3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 123
Looks like the plate structure is glowing red. Usually means too much dissapation by a pretty fair amount. Check the bias supply and coupling caps to that tube socket. I'd also try moving the tube to see if the problem follows the tube or stays with the socket. Don't run it like that or you'll be shopping for another replacement tube.
 
Back
Top Bottom