• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

This is the result of too much time in a wood shop

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
We finished up the restoration on my AR-3a's today, had a few hours to burn so this was the result. Nothing like using up some scrap material for a good cause, always wanted a pair of nice speaker stands. Now I just have to decide on either banding the raw edge and using stain, or just going satin black. :scratch2:
 

Attachments

  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 732
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 491
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 442
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 717
Register to hide this ad
Too much time in the shop? Impossible.

Band 'em even if you decide to paint. End grain ply is a sponge.

Nice shop Steve. :thmbsp:
 
All of my work is with metal. I'm always jealous of the wood guys...

BTW, those look really nice!
 
I popped out two sets in about an hour and a half, I will try one stained, and one painted, that should settle it. :D

I'm probably going to use the shop to build some repro cabinets down the road, and I'd like to design a custom audio rack like no other, but getting to my postponed JBL 4430 cabinet build has to get going first.
 
I would do like the Klipsch folks did. Fill any voids, sand to a fine surface, and varnish. Plywood edge grain can be interesting. The Boston Whaler boat people did the same in the 60s and 70s. Gorgeous. Just my opinion...
 
I had a pair that looked like that back in the 90's. Don't recall where I got them? Radio Shack? They had a black veneer finish. Makes me wander what the hell happened to them. Oh well, I think my Boston A100s would tip on those.

Nice work!
 
...the roll-on or spray on truck bedliner might look good, too

Ummmm... No. These are AR's, not a truck. Maybe on some modern black vinyl cabinet speakers, but not for the AR. I thinking banding and staining is the only real option for these specific speakers.
 
I used gravel guard paint on mine ...

speaker-stand-paint.jpg


That's what gives you that lumpy chip resistant finish on lower car panels. Gives a nice matte pebble grain surface, kinda leather like ...
 
Really nice job Steve. You built some speaker stands and got to enjoy the smell of woodworking. That combination is hard to beat!
 
Back
Top Bottom