• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC501's Vs MC402

jimmyc1996

Active Member
I have a pair of B&W 802D's. My pre amp is a MX135 my current amp is a MC207. I have decided to upgrade my Front amp .I was pretty much set on a MC402 . However the MAC salesman suggested I consider two 501's .
My questions : are the 501's that much better than a MC402? Is it worth the additional $3500? Will I notice the Difference? I know a lot of you have 802's
Help
Thanks
Jimmyc
 
Register to hide this ad
Sorry I haven't compared them directly. I have MC402 connected to regular N802s. I'd use that $3500 towards more music ;)

BTW, what is the current retail price of MC501 (each) and MC402?
 
Lean toward 501's

I too faced this exact decision.

My logic went something like this.

Because I was setting up a 5.1 system with no pre-existing amplification I needed amps for 5 channels.

I started with an MC402 for the 2x802D's fronts. Then I had three channels to fulfill. The quandary was what to do for the single center channel as there were a number of choices for the 2 surrounds. A 501 would be OK for the center, but then I thought I would be comparatively shortchanging the L/R(on the 402) and that was the wrong priority.

So in the end I ended up with:

2x501's for L/R 802D
1x501 for center HTM2D
1x252 for surrounds (inwall B&W)

So, somewhat convoluted logic to arrive at what I have. But the stack of Mcamps does look (and sound) wonderful.

The 402 is excellent but (if it matters) the "political" consensus seems to be on the 501's.
 
nkbb said:
So in the end I ended up with:

2x501's for L/R 802D
1x501 for center HTM2D
1x252 for surrounds (inwall B&W)

That is an impressive surround system for sure. If you don't mind my asking, are you going for multi-channel music or for movies?
 
Hepcat
Both .That said I really don't have that much experience with multi channel music .
Theater is more of what I was thinking of. Most of my listening is music
 
Hepcat said:
That is an impressive surround system for sure. If you don't mind my asking, are you going for multi-channel music or for movies?

My primary source player is the Marantz DV9600. But also have the Escient music server and intend (eventually) to hook up a turntable (I have a bunch of old records).

In order of priority for the system:

1. 2 channel audio (local and whole house distribution)
2. Surround HT (w/ Fujitsu plasma)
3. Multichannel music - after having virtually nothing for several years video/audio wise - I am just being acquainted to SACD and DVD-Audio perhaps as they slowly fade away. I came to the dance late.
 
I love my MC402 with N802's. However, I still wish I had stepped up for the 501's. If you can swing it, I have never regretted stepping up for the better units. I don't like to settle. If you are comfortable with the compromise (which is small), the MC402 is terrific and is more than adequate for those speakers. Single meter monoblocks flanking your speakers just look so damn cool though!

JR
 
Jimmyc1996,
I did listen to MC252, MC402, MC501 and I liked them all. they are all very nice power amp. I was in the position which amp should I get? I really like the MC501. Just because I didn't have extra cash at that time for a pair of MC501. So I saved up some cash for few months and ordered a pair of MC501 and C45 in March. Now I am saving up for a pair of 802D and MCD201. If an additional of $3500 is not an issue. 501's would be very nice.
 
Anyone pair up a MC402 or MC501s with JMLabs Utopia Be (Altos or Divas)? I've noticed some really good buys on the Utiopia Be line on Audiogon.
 
Monoblocks are the best way. I have one MC402 and three MC252s. I'm switching to three MC501 and keeping two of the MC252s. That's going to be 5 amps across my front. My only consideration is that I have so many amps. I'm running a 7.2 system. Three Mcintosh LS360s across front, WS350 at sides, two CS350 at rear. I wish that I had purchased the MC501s from the start.
 

Attachments

  • vegas 2006 001.jpg
    vegas 2006 001.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 192
JimmyC1996 -- how has the MC207 performed driving the 802D? What do you feel is lacking to motivate you to upgrade the amp?

Personally, if you are going through the trouble of upgrading (selling the MC207 etc), I would imagine you should upgrade all the way to the MC501. The 207 is supposed to put out nearly 300 watts per channel actual -- would the difference to the 402 be worth it? The difference with the 501 should be more noticeable.
 
I went from a MC-7205 to a MC-207 and then ultimately to a MC-402. I noticed a big difference going from a MC-207 to the MC-402. I never have hit the power guard lights, and it just sounds nicer to me in many ways. (I ended up buying a MC-7106 and use it bridged fo rthe center and surround channles). I know that this is an apples to oranges comparision, but for two channel listening and with my speakers, I love the MC-402.
(I still dream of getting 501s though and I probably will when I can afford it!)
 
I faced the same situation....one A/B audition of the MC402 and MC501 made the decision very easy. The MC402 is an excellent amp...but it pales in comparison to the MC501, especially with a difficult load like the N802 or the 802D's. Maybe it is the size of the power supply, I don't know...I do know you will not regret cashing out the extra dineros
 
I'm not disputing that one amp may sound better than the other. I'm curious as to why you might think that the fact that the speaker is a difficult load and why it might be an issue. Both amps are close in power and can generate the same current. (In fact, the dynamic headroom is higher on the 402.) The only major spec difference between the amps is the damping factor. What do you mean by these particular speakers being a difficult load? Could damping factor be an issue? I ask because I found the 602 to be a much better sounding amp than the 352... and lots of people say that the 352/402 sounds better. The only major difference I can see between the 602 and 402 is damping factor... so I'm wondering if that makes more of a difference with some speakers.
 
The B&W Nautilus 802 and B&W 802D are both rated at a nominal 8 Ohm. However it is well documented that, when pushed hard on bass heavy music, the impedance drops to 2 Ohm. I presume that is one of the reasons they are known to be power-hungry. It certainly was one of the reasons for me to upgrade my twin QUAD 909's (horizontal biamped) to something more beefier. Taking into account the specs on paper, I am still, be it pleasantly, amazed at the difference between the 501 and 402. As I said before the 402 is an excellent amp...but nothing could prepare me for that goosebump, "bring tears to your eyes" emotionally overwhelming experience when the first notes played on the 501's...from that moment on, there was no going back.
 
Last edited:
Gentlemen
I'm really enjoying all of your responses . I'm probably going to make my decision tomorrow. I was leaning towards the Mc 402 because of money but also space is an issue .My system is in my living room In front of a picture window .My room is all windows no wall space. I'm now leaning towards the 501's,Markets up today.
Where do I put Mc 207 two 501's Mx135,Ms300, 802D's 855 sub and a 50" Plasma?
Guys Thanks again for the great input
Jimmyc

PS keep them coming
 
Can you post a floor plan and some pictures of the room? I'm sure you will get some good suggestions on placement from this crowd.

JR
 
mcintoshaddict said:
I'm not disputing that one amp may sound better than the other. I'm curious as to why you might think that the fact that the speaker is a difficult load and why it might be an issue. Both amps are close in power and can generate the same current. (In fact, the dynamic headroom is higher on the 402.) The only major spec difference between the amps is the damping factor. What do you mean by these particular speakers being a difficult load? Could damping factor be an issue? I ask because I found the 602 to be a much better sounding amp than the 352... and lots of people say that the 352/402 sounds better. The only major difference I can see between the 602 and 402 is damping factor... so I'm wondering if that makes more of a difference with some speakers.

The 501's have more top end air to them and the bass is more natural. Don't get me wrong the bass is fantastic on the 402's- it's heavy. -Indy
 
Damping factors

mcintoshaddict said:
I'm not disputing that one amp may sound better than the other. I'm curious as to why you might think that the fact that the speaker is a difficult load and why it might be an issue. Both amps are close in power and can generate the same current. (In fact, the dynamic headroom is higher on the 402.) The only major spec difference between the amps is the damping factor. What do you mean by these particular speakers being a difficult load? Could damping factor be an issue? I ask because I found the 602 to be a much better sounding amp than the 352... and lots of people say that the 352/402 sounds better. The only major difference I can see between the 602 and 402 is damping factor... so I'm wondering if that makes more of a difference with some speakers.
Speakers with large diameter cones benefit particularly from being driven by power amps with high damping factors, as do speakers with a great variance in resistivity. Above a damping factor of 50 however, it is quite often the case that many other factors prevent any (audible) sonic improvement. The higher the DF the greater the degree of control the amp exerts over the driver/s.
 
Back
Top Bottom